Several developers have announced that they have been laid off from PlayStation's Visual Arts group.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
When Michael Mumbauer left and they took TLOUP1 away from VASG, I knew there would be more fallout down the line.

They got a hard time at that studio.

Having a support studio in Cali is expensive and I think they will want to move support studios to cheaper regions of the world as a general rule.
Yeah thy Def will move them.

Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Why is he taking 4 years to add a multiplayer mode?
Who knows, but you dont fire one of the best Because of a delay. Maybe they are working on something that takes longer than 3-4 years.
Maybe they had to scrap something from before 2020.

Maybe they are making something that hasnt been done before. Maybe they wanted to restart some of the project because its now PS5 only And had to scrap alot.

It took Santa Monica 5 years to make GOW 2018. It took 5 years for Guerrilla to make Horizon Forbidden West. Its been 3 years since TLOU2… relax

Hermen should of been funding another team for ND, fingers crossed its closed to being ready to being shown.
If ND hasnt been given the funds and resources to make a 2nd/ 3rd game after/before TLOU2, thats Sony, Jim and Hermens fault for not giving them what they have given Insomniac, not Druckman.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Who knows, but you dont fire one of the best Because of a delay. Maybe they are working on something that takes longer than 3-4 years.
Maybe they had to scrap something from before 2020.

Maybe they are making something that hasnt been done before. Maybe they wanted to restart some of the project because its now PS5 only And had to scrap alot.

It took Santa Monica 5 years to make GOW 2018. It took 5 years for Guerrilla to make Horizon Forbidden West. Its been 3 years since TLOU2… relax

Hermen should of been funding another team for ND, fingers crossed its closed to being ready to being shown.
If ND hasnt been given the funds and resources to make a 2nd/ 3rd game after/before TLOU2, thats Sony, Jim and Hermens fault for not giving them what they have given Insomniac, not Druckman.

Naughty Dog has 2 teams, it's been 4 years and they have NOTHING to show. Clearly Neil Druckmann should not have been put in charge. TLOU2 came out in 2020, it is still missing factions after 3 years.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Naughty Dog has 2 teams, it's been 4 years and they have NOTHING to show. Clearly Neil Druckmann should not have been put in charge. TLOU2 came out in 2020, it is still missing factions after 3 years.
Depends when they made there 2nd team and when it started.

Maybe he shouldn’t be totally in charge, but I wouldnt fire one of the best developers in the game.
If we get no release dates in the next year then its a problem. Im waiting before i judge.

Like I said, it took Guerrilla 5 years to make Horizon 2, its been 3.5 years since TLOU2.
Again I blame Jim and Hermen over Druckman. They should of Expanded ND like they did Insomniac Back in 2019

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Yeah. Druckmann is also responsible for almost every studio having fuck all to show, not Jimbo and Hermie.

People need to think for 3 seconds.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Playstation is truly bleeding so many projects and studios. I predict PS5 sales in 2024 will start showing a lot of YOY declines.l
YOY declines are expected though.

Typically most consoles peak around the 3 year mark.

Besides there was huge pent up demand with record breaking shipments in the first few months of this year, that pent up demand won't be there anymore.

Reactions: GrayWolf323

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah. Druckmann is also responsible for almost every studio having fuck all to show, not Jimbo and Hermie.

People need to think for 3 seconds.
Lol, that actually totally makes sense.

We all have to hope Sony is trying a new approach for some of these titles, as in, they won’t announce them until they are 6 months or year away From being released.
A bit like TLOU Remake, they announced it quick and it was released pretty soon after. Like way less than 6 months.

It might be wishful thinking though, because they also showed us Concord And Marathon and they have no release dates. And they showed us GT7, GOW R, Horizon 2, Wolverine and Spiderman 2 all years before release.

So…. Lets hope they will have the TLOU Remake approach, surprise announcement with quick release within 6 months.
Otherwise Jim and Hermen deserve to be ridiculed.

2024 will be the year to see if Jim and Hermen are the worst president and Head of PS studios duo or decent pair….

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Neil Druckmann needs to go. I will never understand this ignorance for sacrificing Amy Hening for this lunatic. The downfall of ND began when he did get a hold of power of the stud

Nah. She’s good but she also wrote Forspoken and Battlefield Hardline. And she was the solo director for Uncharted 1 which was nowhere near as good as the others who were co directors like Bruce.

She never worked on TLOU and that smokes anything Amy made by herself

She great dont get me wrong but so is Neil and Bruce.
They should makea 3rd team with her and Bruce

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Nah. She’s good but she also wrote Forspoken and Battlefield Hardline. And she was the solo director for Uncharted 1 which was nowhere near as good as the others who were co directors like Bruce.

She never worked on TLOU and that smokes anything Amy made by herself

She great dont get me wrong but so is Neil and Bruce.
They should makea 3rd team with her and Bruce
of course you cherry pick the less good performances. Without Amy Hening there wouldn’t be Uncharted. She is the mother of Nathan Drake. UC > TLOU

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Lol, that actually totally makes sense.

We all have to hope Sony is trying a new approach for some of these titles, as in, they won’t announce them until they are 6 months or year away From being released.
A bit like TLOU Remake, they announced it quick and it was released pretty soon after. Like way less than 6 months.

'spiderman'

So…. Lets hope they will have the TLOU Remake approach, surprise announcement with quick release within 6 months.
Otherwise Jim and Hermen deserve to be ridiculed.
Concord does have a 2024 release date. Every other game you mentioned didn't.
2024 will be the year to see if Jim and Hermen are the worst president and Head of PS studios duo or decent pair….
ineedthisforreactions GIF

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
So they were only a Naughty Dog resource? Never heard of them

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Neither have I.
They were a support group used for motion capture/recording as well as some sort of technical support. They were rumored to be working on a new Uncharted. they're not a full development studio, though.

These layoffs were announced months ago. Some people were kept on a little while longer.

I think this is just your contractual layoffs after big projects, like Spiderman are finished.

Shame, really. I wish people kept their jobs, especially them man mentioned in the tweet because he seemed pretty happy working there.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
of course you cherry pick the less good performances. Without Amy Hening there wouldn’t be Uncharted. She is the mother of Nathan Drake. UC > TLOU
Not really, im just stating the best Uncharted games are with Bruce involved.

The Soul Reaver series is great. But U4, Tlou, Tlou2 better than the other games in my opinion. Arguably Uncharted 2 is the only one thats as good or better than them And Bruce was involved in that.
I love them both but Ive got TLOU just above it, but depends on my mood.

Either way, anyone saying Druckman is bad is just convincing themselves, he’s also worked on hit after hit. He is the father of Ellie and Joel lol

• haha
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They were a support group used for motion capture/recording as well as some sort of technical support. They were rumored to be working on a new Uncharted. they're not a full development studio, though.

These layoffs were announced months ago. Some people were kept on a little while longer.

I think this is just your contractual layoffs after big projects, like Spiderman are finished.

Shame, really. I wish people kept their jobs, especially them man mentioned in the tweet because he seemed pretty happy working there.
But such is the state of development, it's a constant revolving door for most of the mid to lower tier dev staffs. It's like joining the military, being stationed in Japan and saying "damn I hope I stay here" in a few years you more than likely will be shipped elsewhere.

Last edited: