Silent Hill 2 |OT| For me, it's always like this..

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
These games are a mood, you have to be in the correct mindset to enjoy it. I play 2 or 3 hours max, going slowly and taking my time. It doesn't drag to me.

I would need to replay the original to see what they added that makes it so much longer.
If you ever soon end up comparing them, let me know. I only played maybe an hour of original back in the day and I was too scared as a teen/kid.
2-3 hours max at a time seems like a good idea. Especially with game this heavy emotionally.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I just started the prison, and I'm running out of motivation, personally. I'm at about 11 hours play time so far, and it's starting to drag a bit. Part of me wishes it was over already, but I know there's a bit more to go. The gameplay loop was awesome for me up until hour 7-8, but it's felt like a predictable slog since then. I think I'll probably skip the over exploration and just try to mainline it from this point. Overall I give the game an 8/10, but I can see now why so many people have issues with the length and pacing.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I am not enjoying this. Almost not at all since the hospital and especially it's 2nd part. I just finished labirynth and reached hotel.
The shore and hotel is very refreshing though. Finally I can see again.

But the dungeons, Hospital, other world hospital, prison, labirynth and whatever the fuck. These are all WAY TOO LONG.
We all know the story. We all know what James did. I get the point. He feels bad, it's torturing him and torturing us as the player to convey his guilt and pain. I GET IT. EVERYONE GETS IT. You don't need to torture us 2x longer than original (or more, I am at 16h now).
I love the open world fog parts exploration and visiting shops etc. That's great.
But any major dungeon and "oh boy, let's go 4 hours of depressing, disgusting tunnels with bloody walls I can barely see with my flashlight".
It's too artsy and up it's own ass with the messaging. I love all the story bits and cutscenes but the damn dungeons, especiall other world hospital and almost everything after are a nightmare. Scary, disgusting and way over bloated. You run around, pick up keys and I kinda don't feel I will ever replay it because I am sighting with relief after every dungeon.

I understand it's silent hill and what it's doing and that's probably a criticism for the original too. But imo, the dungeons should've been way shorter, labyrinth should not exist at all. It added nothing to the game or story... yeah I get it, stages of grief and guilt. But it wasted my time and made me feel awful.
If it was shorter and had some moments of relief inbetween. Maybe even something a tiny bit more light hearted inbetween to kinda refresh the player and make feel safe for a minute, I think it would be better FOR ME.

If the original was 8 hours, I can see how it could be better paced since you dont spend 3-4 hours in a single invisibly dark dungeon at a time.

edit: tl;dr Evil within 2 is better! Not gross but engaging, emotional and gripping! even playable with headphones lol
edit2: I am probably also just a wuss, easily scared and susceptible to heavy ambient :p
I went back to read your post after I finished the game (it took me over 21 hours) and I agree with some of your comments.

I thought the prison was the last level but it just went on and on after that. I still enjoyed it but I was not ready for this length. There were so many annoying spider mannequins in the prison so I wasted so much ammo on them. I figured the game was over so I didn't need it anymore. Little did I know 😬

Blooper really went above and beyond with this remake.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I went back to read your post after I finished the game (it took me over 21 hours) and I agree with some of your comments.

I thought the prison was the last level but it just went on and on after that. I still enjoyed it but I was not ready for this length. There were so many annoying spider mannequins in the prison so I wasted so much ammo on them. I figured the game was over so I didn't need it anymore. Little did I know 😬

Blooper really went above and beyond with this remake.
At first, I thought the spiders were going to be ammo drains. Then, I quickly figured out they dealt like 0 damage, even on the hardest game mode, and go down in two hits with a pipe once they're on the ground. You basically just bait them into lunging off the walls, then stomp them like bugs.

I agree though that I fully expected the game to be in its final area like three times, before it actually got to its end point. Overall though, I really enjoyed the remake. Definitely among my top favorite survival horror games now.

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters