Silent Hill 2 |OT| For me, it's always like this..

OP
OP
voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Silent Hill is the OG, Alan Wake wouldn't exist without it (and David Lynch). SH2 is a lot darker and oppressive. I'm at the Brookhaven Hospital and damn, I had to stop for the night.

I didn't play the AW2 DLC yet but I'll get to it if I'm still in the mood after SH2. I didn't want to pit these games against each other but I know Alan Wake 2 was your game of the gen so I was just curious.

I love them both ❤️
Both are 100% worth the time. It's honestly wild that I ended up liking it more than AW2.... AW2 is in my top 5 GOTG... GOTG is Returnal still for me lmao. I don't think anyones touching that

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
made it through the hospital. Now other world hospital. These sections drag on forever and you clear the map for other world... eh.... would've preferred more roaming outside if anything. Spending 5 hours in hospital corridors is tedious and kinda gets to you.
The industry needs to learn some humility and stop to drag things out. Original was 8 hours for a reason. here it took me 8-9 hours to get to where I am and it's half point of the game.
Like, I am not saying to speed things up but cmon. the bloat and dragging on is killing this industry.
I am fine with 60-70$. The game can be 5 hours for all I care. Just make it good and replayability will be there.

Reactions: Entropi

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
made it through the hospital. Now other world hospital. These sections drag on forever and you clear the map for other world... eh.... would've preferred more roaming outside if anything. Spending 5 hours in hospital corridors is tedious and kinda gets to you.
The industry needs to learn some humility and stop to drag things out. Original was 8 hours for a reason. here it took me 8-9 hours to get to where I am and it's half point of the game.
Like, I am not saying to speed things up but cmon. the bloat and dragging on is killing this industry.
I am fine with 60-70$. The game can be 5 hours for all I care. Just make it good and replayability will be there.
Miss me with paying 60-70 dollars for a 5-10 hour game lol. Massive turn off.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Miss me with paying 60-70 dollars for a 5-10 hour game lol. Massive turn off.
are you kiddinh me?
What is it with all the people not recognizing value of money?
games were 60$ on 360 and were always 8-12 hours.
Everyone expects games to still be 60$ and 50 hours nowadays. It's ruining games and introducing bloat.
To be honest, 60-70$ nowadays is not much compared to 50-60 in 360 era or before.

Games mathematically have gotten so much cheaper than ever. if they were keeping up with inflation and everything else becoming more expensive, games should be like 200$ probably now if they were 60$ in 2008.... What other thing from 2008 still costs the same amount of money.

So yes. I value my time and my enjoyment. Running around same hospital corridors and solving 5 puzzles is not really that engaging... and then running through worse version of it kinda again. the original was 8 hours for a reason. This does not need to be 20 hours.
I am fine and really happy about open world sections and new shops that we are able to enter for quick cool exploration. But the dragging out of these dungeons, every door requiring another key and every entry being blocked. It's kinda predictable and just not fun.

I will always repeat. Shorter game is better. I will replay uncharted 4 (which is 12-15 hours so not really that short) because it's not 50 hours. I am never replaying these 50 hours long behemoths. But I will still replay half life 2 and discover something new every time.

Now, I am not trying to be too critical of the Remake. It is great. But it should learn something for re2 or re4 remakes. These did not overbloated the original game. SH remake overbloats it without adding much new story content and cutscenes. so you have the same story and games but with more padding between main events.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
are you kiddinh me?
What is it with all the people not recognizing value of money?
games were 60$ on 360 and were always 8-12 hours.
Everyone expects games to still be 60$ and 50 hours nowadays. It's ruining games and introducing bloat.
To be honest, 60-70$ nowadays is not much compared to 50-60 in 360 era or before.

Games mathematically have gotten so much cheaper than ever. if they were keeping up with inflation and everything else becoming more expensive, games should be like 200$ probably now if they were 60$ in 2008.... What other thing from 2008 still costs the same amount of money.

So yes. I value my time and my enjoyment. Running around same hospital corridors and solving 5 puzzles is not really that engaging... and then running through worse version of it kinda again. the original was 8 hours for a reason. This does not need to be 20 hours.
I am fine and really happy about open world sections and new shops that we are able to enter for quick cool exploration. But the dragging out of these dungeons, every door requiring another key and every entry being blocked. It's kinda predictable and just not fun.

I will always repeat. Shorter game is better. I will replay uncharted 4 (which is 12-15 hours so not really that short) because it's not 50 hours. I am never replaying these 50 hours long behemoths. But I will still replay half life 2 and discover something new every time.

Now, I am not trying to be too critical of the Remake. It is great. But it should learn something for re2 or re4 remakes. These did not overbloated the original game. SH remake overbloats it without adding much new story content and cutscenes. so you have the same story and games but with more padding between main events.
Games on 360 were not always 8-12 hours. Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Skyrim, oblivion, GTA 4, Dragon Age Origins etc. I don't mind shorter games but I'm not shelling out 60-70 dollars for a 5-10 hour experience. If games suffer from bloat it's the devs fault for not making the content engaging. I play plenty of very long games and they're very fun. Those are the best games. Well worth 60-70 smackers. For silent Hill 2 remake I only played a hour so far because I'm playing metaphor right now, which is a awesome very long game. So I can't verify what you're saying.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Games on 360 were not always 8-12 hours. Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Skyrim, oblivion, GTA 4, Dragon Age Origins etc. I don't mind shorter games but I'm not shelling out 60-70 dollars for a 5-10 hour experience. If games suffer from bloat it's the devs fault for not making the content engaging. I play plenty of very long games and they're very fun. Those are the best games. Well worth 60-70 smackers. For silent Hill 2 remake I only played a hour so far because I'm playing metaphor right now, which is a awesome very long game. So I can't verify what you're saying.
It's a good game. you will enjoy it

Reactions: Infinity
OP
OP
voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Length was perfect IMO. The game felt like 5 RE2 police stations all in one game to me which kinda blew my mind

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I am not enjoying this. Almost not at all since the hospital and especially it's 2nd part. I just finished labirynth and reached hotel.
The shore and hotel is very refreshing though. Finally I can see again.

But the dungeons, Hospital, other world hospital, prison, labirynth and whatever the fuck. These are all WAY TOO LONG.
We all know the story. We all know what James did. I get the point. He feels bad, it's torturing him and torturing us as the player to convey his guilt and pain. I GET IT. EVERYONE GETS IT. You don't need to torture us 2x longer than original (or more, I am at 16h now).
I love the open world fog parts exploration and visiting shops etc. That's great.
But any major dungeon and "oh boy, let's go 4 hours of depressing, disgusting tunnels with bloody walls I can barely see with my flashlight".
It's too artsy and up it's own ass with the messaging. I love all the story bits and cutscenes but the damn dungeons, especiall other world hospital and almost everything after are a nightmare. Scary, disgusting and way over bloated. You run around, pick up keys and I kinda don't feel I will ever replay it because I am sighting with relief after every dungeon.

I understand it's silent hill and what it's doing and that's probably a criticism for the original too. But imo, the dungeons should've been way shorter, labyrinth should not exist at all. It added nothing to the game or story... yeah I get it, stages of grief and guilt. But it wasted my time and made me feel awful.
If it was shorter and had some moments of relief inbetween. Maybe even something a tiny bit more light hearted inbetween to kinda refresh the player and make feel safe for a minute, I think it would be better FOR ME.

If the original was 8 hours, I can see how it could be better paced since you dont spend 3-4 hours in a single invisibly dark dungeon at a time.

edit: tl;dr Evil within 2 is better! Not gross but engaging, emotional and gripping! even playable with headphones lol
edit2: I am probably also just a wuss, easily scared and susceptible to heavy ambient :p

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I am not enjoying this. Almost not at all since the hospital and especially it's 2nd part. I just finished labirynth and reached hotel.

But the dungeons, Hospital, other world hospital, prison, labirynth and whatever the fuck. These are all WAY TOO LONG.
We all know the story. We all know what James did. I get the point. He feels bad, it's torturing him and torturing us as the player to convey his guilt and pain. I GET IT. EVERYONE GETS IT. You don't need to torture us 2x longer than original (or more, I am at 16h now).
I love the open world fog parts exploration and visiting shops etc. That's great.
But any major dungeon and "oh boy, let's go 4 hours of depressing, disgusting tunnels with bloody walls I can barely see with my flashlight".
It's too artsy and up it's own ass with the messaging. I love all the story bits and cutscenes but the damn dungeons, especiall other world hospital and almost everything after are a nightmare. Scary, disgusting and way over bloated. You run around, pick up keys and I kinda don't feel I will ever replay it because I am sighting with relief after every dungeon.

I understand it's silent hill and what it's doing and that's probably a criticism for the original too. But imo, the dungeons should've been way shorter, labyrinth should not exist at all. It added nothing to the game or story... yeah I get it, stages of grief and guilt. But it wasted my time and made me feel awful.
If it was shorter and had some moments of relief inbetween. Maybe even something a tiny bit more light hearted inbetween to kinda refresh the player and make feel safe for a minute, I think it would be better FOR ME.

If the original was 8 hours, I can see how it could be better paced since you dont spend 3-4 hours in a single invisibly dark dungeon at a time.

edit: tl;dr Evil within 2 is better! Not gross but engaging, emotional and gripping! even playable with headphones lol
edit2: I am probably also just a wuss, easily scared and susceptible to heavy ambient :p
The game seems to drag a lot of what you have on original… not sure if the developer was trying to lengthen the playtime.

Original pace was already pretty good.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Finished it. I got the ending 1. So the default one I aimed for. It was really emotional and I did got red in the eyes.
That's a lot considering I knew how it ends (everyone knows for 20 years) and I never finished the original.
in short - I hated playing it starting from other world apartments up to the hotel with exclusion of open world fog sections. These were great.
I loved the story of course, graphics, all the presentation, amazing performances and everything around that. There really are only few cutscenes in the game and it's all great.

What I disliked:
-It was way too long. Took me 19h40min. Hospital, other world hospital, prison, labirynth.. even hotel while being way better than those locations, started to drag on. The do that thing you end up feeling like one of these pencil mazes. They guide you THROUGH EVERY FKN ROOM THERE IS ON THE MAP. And they do that using the longes, most convoluted route possible. Every single room. nothing gets omitted. It's too tiresome. It's needlesss.
-The formula is: Enter new dungeon - see the puzzle. Then continue on to every room in most backwards ass way to collect pieces for the puzzle.
-Way way way too much combat. My count was 400 enemies killed... and I ran past some. They almost never just let you explore and take it in. The enemies are always there or get up from the dead.
-Because of a lot of enemies, you always are picking up ammo, health kits. something. always. And the interface sucks. I still don't know what you have to do to open the drawer reliably first time.
-It's too dark. I get it, it's a horror game but some later dungeons are just tiresome dark. yea I get it guilt and so on.
-It's disgusting. Like graphically. Everything is shiny, meaty, bloody. I am not sensitive to this stuff but it gets to you.
-It's noisy. Fake monster noises, screeching, scratching. It's never quiet.
-The music is worse/less than original. It's still good.

it seems like a lot of negatives but I feel it really is all about the length. Keeping the original length and remake silent hill exploration sections would be perfect combination.

anyway - I am glad it's over, I don't want to replay it. The ending was beautiful but because it dragged on so much, I feel like it's a game I didn't enjoyed but it pulled a good trick on me in the end to make me love it.
It really is a good story. But we all know it.
I might personally not like how it drags on, but I appreciate how well it's made and it's objectively good.

edit: F the legs enemies. f them. f their dogs, f their legs, f them. So annoying

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I remember you had similar comments about Alan Wake 2. You don't seem to have any patience for this kind of gameplay? It's like you want to rush quickly. It's not that kind of game.

Maybe you don't like that genre 🤷

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I remember you had similar comments about Alan Wake 2. You don't seem to have any patience for this kind of gameplay? It's like you want to rush quickly. It's not that kind of game.

Maybe you don't like that genre 🤷
Hard to say. Now I feel Alan Wake 2 was better than this.
SH2 is way simpler and darker. The main bulk of hours is in pitch black disgusting dungeons.
And the collection gets kinda annoying in both games but Alan Wake 2 is at least way more varied and got breather moments. I want to replay it.

As for the genre, I've not finished too many games like this ? let me think. just few of the top of my head
-I hated Evil Within 1 but loved Evil Within 2. It's one of my fav games and I finished it 3 times. Original 4 I finished like 5 times
-I love Resident Evil games and Remakes are fantsatic. Loved 7.8. remake 2 and remake 4. 3 is ok too.
-I loved Soma but only with safe monster mode. I hated hiding under tables.
-Same for Alien Isolation. I hated the hiding all the time. It was too long.

In general I love good ambient. I like to play slowly. Like TLOU2 plays kinda similar, you constantly open drawers and are stalked by enemies... but I loved it.
So not sure what combination of elements made me yearn to finish SH2 remake. It dragged for past 8-10 hours for me.
For Alan Wake 2.... I kinda loved it except saga puzzles and parts you go to collect items after you clear the level (when it opens up). It felt like padding. But I generaly liked the gameplay but disliked the game AFTER finishing it. Maybe I was too harsh on it... not sure now.

edit: Like the last fight in the sh2 remake... like... why the stages? So I can get 5 more minutes of shooting? Why the arena switch. All I got from the boss fight was "oh god I gotta shoot this 5 more minutes now". Dont think its an intended feeling :p

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Hard to say. Now I feel Alan Wake 2 was better than this.
SH2 is way simpler and darker. The main bulk of hours is in pitch black disgusting dungeons.
And the collection gets kinda annoying in both games but Alan Wake 2 is at least way more varied and got breather moments. I want to replay it.
These games are a mood, you have to be in the correct mindset to enjoy it. I play 2 or 3 hours max, going slowly and taking my time. It doesn't drag to me.

I would need to replay the original to see what they added that makes it so much longer.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I bought silent hill 1 & silent hill origins off the PS3 store in case they actually get added to ps premium one month (wishful thinking) although they did Dino crisis owners dirty , it's not on the EU / UK & people who bought it off the US store don't get it added to their library on ps5 / PS4