So is Playstation and Sega’s exclusive games relationship over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah but Id say they have some decent IPs even if they arent as popular like SMT, Disgaea. And Atlus might be making a new JRPG IP. They are some of the more consistent Japanese studios when it comes to quality

Disgaea is Nippon Ichi/NIS, Atlus only published hour of darkness in the west

Reactions: Kokoloko
24 Jun 2022
I get that.
Im just hoping Playstation has thrown some money at them for the next Persona or that Medi/FantasyJRPG that was rumoured by the same team.
Just like they are getting FF16-7 from Square and Ronin from Team Ninja. Hopefully they have a few more of these 3rd party exclusives. Like with Miyazaki

TBH I would be far more interested in Sony co-funding a new Outrun or Panzer Dragoon with Sega than just trying to lock down Persona 6 or such-like. It's what I was thinking (hoping) the partnership announced between Microsoft and Sega a while back was about which is why I was so excited, but that just turned out to be a power play for a big Japanese 3P game publishers as an Azure cloud client.

So if Sony were to do any exchanges with Sega in that capacity, I'd like it to be more in the vein of what they're doing with Team Ninja & the recently revealed Rise of the Ronin. Use that money to fund and cultivate big new 1P or new entries in 1P, either case being for games that otherwise might've seen little to no means of getting made if the 3P were left to their own devices.

Those are the types of "moneyhats" that I favor tbh, and it would be really cool to see if Sony could get Ueda back in some way to work with some of the Panzer Dragoon Saga team on a new PD game with some Ico & SotC trappings, for example.

• fire
Reactions: Satoru and Kokoloko
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
TBH I would be far more interested in Sony co-funding a new Outrun or Panzer Dragoon with Sega than just trying to lock down Persona 6 or such-like. It's what I was thinking (hoping) the partnership announced between Microsoft and Sega a while back was about which is why I was so excited, but that just turned out to be a power play for a big Japanese 3P game publishers as an Azure cloud client.

So if Sony were to do any exchanges with Sega in that capacity, I'd like it to be more in the vein of what they're doing with Team Ninja & the recently revealed Rise of the Ronin. Use that money to fund and cultivate big new 1P or new entries in 1P, either case being for games that otherwise might've seen little to no means of getting made if the 3P were left to their own devices.

Those are the types of "moneyhats" that I favor tbh, and it would be really cool to see if Sony could get Ueda back in some way to work with some of the Panzer Dragoon Saga team on a new PD game with some Ico & SotC trappings, for example.

Man don’t even start me on stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Outrun or a new Jet Set Radio. I loved to see that and that would be the thing to do.
I just dont see them doing it, as much as I would and it would dream moves. But I will dream of such and hope it happens, PDS remake or sequel 😍
I hope they get Persona though, I love them and they’ve always been Playstation Exclusives mostly until recently

P

peter42O

Sega is better off being multi-platform. Having their Yakuza games on Xbox Game Pass (not sure about PC Game Pass) was huge for them as it got a lot more people into those games which is a great thing. Besides, im pretty sure that Sony never paid Sega for exclusivity and was something Sega did on their own especially considering how last generation went.

I am looking forward to that Gaiden Kiryu game though. Just want to see the combat and gameplay.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Its abundantly clear Microsoft has its sights on sega. Of all the japanese publisher's sega is the weakest link so of course they were the first to fall for Microsoft's money.
Sega had a great relationship with Microsoft since the Dreamcast and OG Xbox so it's not anything new in my eyes at-least. Something happened in the PS360 Era where they went Sony and started focusing on Playstation and doubled down in PS4. Now Microsoft is just rekindling that same relationship.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I imagine with how big budgets are for modern gaming that sega is going to have to stop exclusivity even if companies are throwing money around since it probably isn't enough anymore to say no to another customer base

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Won't be buying any future Yakuza games anyway,done with the series. Been a fan since the first and played them in order and the drop in quality is pretty noticeable. That and the need to constantly bring Kiryu back even though his story was done in 3.

• haha
Reactions: Swolf712

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Its abundantly clear Microsoft has its sights on sega. Of all the japanese publisher's sega is the weakest link so of course they were the first to fall for Microsoft's money.
It was Wednesday after all.

EDMIX

I don't know if any of that was based on some deal though.

Its not like anyone is BEGGING to put their games on XB that are Japanese or something, they have their own issues that makes it very hard, risky and costly to bring titles over on XB. So I doubt every Sega title was like that, I think SEGA last gen branched out in many areas, on PC and even with Yakuza in terms of the titles they put out, NOT JUST them just putting it on PC and XB.

As in, we saw a Yakuza remake of 1 and 2, remasters of 3,4 and 5 as its clear the push was not merely for PC and XB, it was on PS too, as in they are pushing to get more people to buy Yakuza even on PS by catching people up, porting, remaking etc So them testing the waters with PC, XB is no different then their expansion of Yakuza, its not something Sony needed to allow or something, SEGA wanted to do that regardless as I don't think some deal was stopping them.

I think poor sales from XB was stopping them and they needed a push and gamepass was likely that push to port those titles. Keep in mind, all of that is subject to change as they still need to do well for SEGA to keep it up.

Yakuza was once ported to Wii U, bombed, its yet to ever return on a Nintendo system.

Ubisoft tried too, they bombed and they've yet to return with M rated games.

Square tried with XB for a long time, even Octopath Traveler came to XONE....

Octopath Traveler 2?

Octopath Traveler II announced for PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC​

Notice....no XB. So not every last thing is based on some deal, XB has its issues in the east and those not putting games on XB might be doing so based on that and not based on some deal. Sony doesn't need to beg them to not put games on XB, those low sales are more then enough to make publishers think twice regarding that support.

Most of what you are saying was exclusive by default of 1 platform like Wii being too weak, another platforming bombing in Japan and selling really, really low units for Japanese titles world wide, so that doesn't really mean during that gen that was some deal, Valkyrie Chronicles, did it not get ported to PC? Then Switch and XONE?

So Sony can't help that the next system is too weak to support their titles and the next more powerful system sells like shit in Japan lol That can't really be some deal or plan as those games either can't exist on some of those platforms or can't move enough units on the other, that sounds like Sony should make no deals regarding that as they might have no choice but to just make 1 or 2 versions with some of those games.

Even SMTV, consider SMTIV was exclusive to 3DS, that isn't some massive change and the leaks suggest SMTV is coming to PC and PS4 anyway. So I'd argue they have more of a deal with Nintendo in some of those areas or even XB, then then they do Sony. Nintendo and MS HAVE to do the deal, its a risk on their part, its not on Sonys. thats the default of where those titles sell well anyway.

So time will tell how that plays out as you are already seeing titles come out that omit Switch or omit Series X

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sega had a great relationship with Microsoft since the Dreamcast and OG Xbox so it's not anything new in my eyes at-least. Something happened in the PS360 Era where they went Sony and started focusing on Playstation and doubled down in PS4. Now Microsoft is just rekindling that same relationship.

But at the same time Yakuza was exclusive from PS2 days. Just like Persona has been since PS1 says. Sega gave a bunch of exclusives to each platform at the time They went multiplatform.
Xbox got Shen Mue, Panzer Dragoon, Jet Set Radio Future.
Gamecube got…?MonkeyBall and PSO. PS2 got Virtua Fighter And Yakuza. And Atlus games

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Haven't read the whole discussion so maybe someone might already have mentioned it, but I think seeing these games on Xbox has more to do with Microsoft covering the costs for the ports than any exclusivity agreements seeing an end.
Pretty much. Gamepass essentially subsidizes japanese games to come over since it wouldn't be worth it for them otherwise.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022
Man don’t even start me on stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Outrun or a new Jet Set Radio. I loved to see that and that would be the thing to do.
I just dont see them doing it, as much as I would and it would dream moves. But I will dream of such and hope it happens, PDS remake or sequel 😍
I hope they get Persona though, I love them and they’ve always been Playstation Exclusives mostly until recently

We're actually getting a new Jet Set Radio but, it's going to be a live-service game. I hope it's still got a lot of the classic series' design cues and game mechanics.

PDS should've at least gotten a remake at this point. At least Futatsugi said they found the source code!

Still will never forgive MS for denying Dreamcast BC with OG Xbox or turning down backing a Dreamcast 2. A timeline where Sega were still a platform holder, just with Microsoft money to fund them, would've been a lot more preferred than what we got with Microsoft basically taking Sega's spot, for me personally.

Of course some of that is bias and nostalgia on my part, but there's just so many Sega IP I'm more fond of than Microsoft's (at least the ones they made from the ground up).

not gonna happen

Never say never. Two years ago if someone told me MS were buying ABK I'd of punched them. Yet here we are.

The laws are tougher for Western companies acquiring big Japanese companies, but it's not impossible. For example I think Sony would be protected because they are in critical Japanese industries like military, aerospace, finance and medical alongside games. Sega are pretty much purely in gaming, which isn't one of those protected critical industries and unlike Nintendo, they aren't large enough or enough of a cultural entity to where they would be an exception.

Sega's origins actually involve an American company and David Rosen, but I do generally agree that it's way less likely they are acquired by Microsoft than say Zenimax or ABK. I'm just saying, it might be a 1% chance but that's still more than 0%.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko and EDMIX

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This time last gen Sega had a bunch of previous exclusive games for Playstation and new games annouced exclusive to PS4.
Persona 5, Yakuza 6, Judgement, Yakuza Kiwami 1&2, Disgaea 5, Yakuza Zero, Valkyrie Chronicles to name some.

So whats happened with this relationship?
Last night Team Ninja showed it is still making exclusives for Playstation with there new game Ronin. But Sega revealed all there games as multiplatform.

Persona, Yakuza, Disgaea and Valkyrie Chronicles series were mostly exclusive to Playstation Platform.
By the end of the PS4 generation it all changed.

-Disgaea 6 timed exclusive to Switch
-Yakuza 7, like a Dragon. Timed Exclusive to Xbox ( didn’t release on PS5 for a bit )
-All Persona and Yakuza games come to other platforms. (These are mostly known as Playstation centric titles for the last 2 decades )
-Judgement going to Xbox/PC
-SMT 5 Switch Exclusive

Until Ronin was announced by Team Ninja, I was thinking Playstation had lost alot of these 3rd party exclusives compared to previous gens.
Last gen PS4 got the likes of:

Street fighter 5 - Capcom
Bloodborne - FromSoft + Japan Studios
Persona 5/Yakuza’s - Sega/Atlus
Nioh 1&2 - Team Ninja
Detroit - Quantic Dreams
Until Dawn - Supermassive

So whats happened here?
Did Playstation and Jim decide not to pay up for Yakuza? Do Sega now has a stronger relationship with MS and Nintendo? Or is there an exclusive game from Sega/Atlus in the pipeline For Playstation?

PS - Someone at Sega make a bloody Jet Set Radio game🤪
It's what I was thinking (hoping) the partnership announced between Microsoft and Sega a while back was about which is why I was so excited, but that just turned out to be a power play for a big Japanese 3P game publishers as an Azure cloud client.

Sega (which includes Atlus) said while ago that their future strategy was going to be to focus more on multiplatform releases, releasing day one worldwide and making a bigger effort on localization. They also said that want to revive more old IPs in several ways, that want to make more AAA games and that want to bring more IPs to movies.

Meaning that we'll see less Sega exclusives where they had them (PS and Switch). It has nothing to do with Sony or MS, it has to do with Sega wanting to be more profitable.

Capcom doesn't need moneyhat moneys anymore because unlike early next gen their financials are now great, but SF6 and RE4R will release on PS4 and not in XBO. And there are a shit ton exclusives from many people like Square or ARC System Works.

Quantic Dream and Supermassive went multi because they wanted to grow and sell more. Sony moved to other 2nd party devs like Kojipro, Sumo Digital, Firewalk (ex-Bungie), Deviation (ex-CoD), Bluepoint (ex-Retro Studios and Blizzard), Haven (ex-Ubisoft), Ballistic Moon (ex-Until Dawn devs) and bought Insomniac, Bungie, Bluepoint, Haven, Nixxes, Firesprite (ex-Evolution, Liverpool Studio, Bizarre creations).

Sony continues having a lot of 2nd and 3rd party exclusives, and is working in more 1st party (which includes 1st and 2nd) than ever before.

Azure is only a (gaming platform agnostic) tool to manage servers, it has nothing to do with game development or game exclusivities. To think that to get Azure will affect their exclusives it's like to say Sega will stop making exclusives for Sony and Nintendo because they got MS Office licenses, or that they'll make Sony exclusives because they bought Sony tvs, headphones or smartphones.

TBH I would be far more interested in Sony co-funding a new Outrun or Panzer Dragoon with Sega than just trying to lock down Persona 6 or such-like.
Me too, but Sega said they will focus more on global properly localized multiplatform games. Which means they will make less exclusivities, not more.

But they said to be interested on reviving IPs on multiple ways, so pretty likely we'll see Out Run, Panzer Dragoon, After Burner or Golden Axe back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
We're actually getting a new Jet Set Radio but, it's going to be a live-service game. I hope it's still got a lot of the classic series' design cues and game mechanics.

PDS should've at least gotten a remake at this point. At least Futatsugi said they found the source code!

We are? I only know about BombSquad but never heard of a JSR live service. Will it be mobile crap?

Yeah man, I think if Sega is smart they will remake a PDS remake this gen or maybe next

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The last great game I played from SEGA (ehm Platinum) was Vanquish.

I know PS fans of JRPG's dig them for the Persona Series, and the Sega console fans for Sonic but for me, they've been dead for ages. Mario/Donkey Kong guy anyway... fuck Sonic.

Nothing is lost of worth except for JRPG fans on Sony's consoles who want the exclusive Persona treatment. As we all know, that matters.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The last great game I played from SEGA (ehm Platinum) was Vanquish.

I know PS fans of JRPG's dig them for the Persona Series, and the Sega console fans for Sonic but for me, they've been dead for ages. Mario/Donkey Kong guy anyway... fuck Sonic.

Nothing is lost of worth except for JRPG fans on Sony's consoles who want the exclusive Persona treatment. As we all know, that matters.
Remember they also have Yakuza, and that Sonic Mania for me it's maybe the best Sonic ever made including the 16 bit ones (seen from today's perspective without considering the context of when they all got released).

• brain
Status
Not open for further replies.