Sony CEO on Gaming Subs”People usually play 1 game at a time, ...may not be so valuable compared with video stream

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024

Imagine using an "all you can eat" analogy with westoids and Americans, and expect them to be against it.

What he says is right for the wrong reasons. People will play one game at a time if it's a good game that grabs their attention. The perk of gamepass is that their games are fun tastes with little lasting satisfaction, so jumping between them makes the service seem less shit.

It's the same as McDonald's convincing you that their chemical slop can be classed as a Burger.

I'm hungry after typing that.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
During my time with GamePass this ‘I can only play so many games’ issue + ‘Do I even want to play these games?’ was the number one stumbling block.

It’s great when something like Forza Horizon 5 arrives, and all the stars have aligned. It’s far less great when everything you want to play is off the service and you only have so much time to dedicate to gaming.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
During my time with GamePass this ‘I can only play so many games’ issue + ‘Do I even want to play these games?’ was the number one stumbling block.

It’s great when something like Forza Horizon 5 arrives, and all the stars have aligned. It’s far less great when everything you want to play is off the service and you only have so much time to dedicate to gaming.

My 1-month Gamepass free sub I got for buying a Phone at Best Buy expired today. I spent more time browsing the catalog than playing a game.

Reactions: Gamernyc78 and Arc
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
My 1-month Gamepass free sub I got for buying a Phone at Best Buy expired today. I spent more time browsing the catalog than playing a game.
Thts crazy lol it was the same for me when I had one month of gp.

• Shake
Reactions: Entropi

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
It's lovely to see some common sense regarding game subscriptions finally getting a spotlight. Many of us have been saying this for ages now - what suits tv and movies doesn't suit games because of the differences between the mediums and how customers interact with them. Next up, I'd like to see the still-held belief by many that Game Pass will come to Sony and Nintendo consoles be officially nixed.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's lovely to see some common sense regarding game subscriptions finally getting a spotlight. Many of us have been saying this for ages now - what suits tv and movies doesn't suit games because of the differences between the mediums and how customers interact with them. Next up, I'd like to see the still-held belief by many that Game Pass will come to Sony and Nintendo consoles be officially nixed.
The consumers have spoken with their wallets.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: laynelane

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Yeah I fully intended to drop Extra and just go with Essential, but my PS+ auto renewed with Extra. I'm not complaining, but I was only going to drop Extra because good 3rd parties and multiplats that the industry produces is far few in between these days. I feel like outside of Nintendo PlayStation is the best publisher. Most of these giant game companies just aren't producing enough good games. As big as Activision was the only game they put out was COD, as big as Ubisoft is the only games people play from them is Ass creed and Rainbow Six Siege.

Reactions: Vertigo

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Who even has thr time to play a ton of games? Especially a 100 hour jrpg.

I'm letting my sub run out and I'm going back to buying games

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Whatever happened to that media service thing that the corpo's were supposed to be going-in on, a shared digital movie ownership library between whichever media groups put their shows and movies into the bucket. It was called something stupidly mundane too, wish I could remember it properly. It wasn't VUDU, I'm sure the service name began with an M...

Movies Anywhere. I can only assume this service is long dead?
Screenshot_20240124-084730.png
... Sigh!

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
imo it's not about balance. there's no getting around that gamepass offers more than ps+ for around the same cost. making game demos a premium is not a feature to celebrate. demos ought to be distributed for free to everyone since they're advertising.

both services are unappealing and the sony ceo is right that most people play one game at a time. subs are not the future of game delivery.

PS premium is such garbage. Paying premium for psone emulation is beyond stupid. Demos… lol. It should be part of the base sub. The premium tier is worthless junk.

Essential + Extra is a great value package and cheaper than game pass total. You would also need to add xbl paywall costs.

But gamespass is better value because of the day one tentpole release. Extra is very much positioned as bargain bin. There are only a small handful of recent new releases (those being demon souls, horizon 2 and returnal). The biggest Sony exclusives won’t be there… you don’t need subs to get players onboard Spiderman 2 , Ragnarok or GT7.

Gamepass is value destructive and catastrophic for studios tho… very much looking forward to seeing it collapse.

I’m done with everything other than PS Essential. Extra kinda sucks

Last edited:
Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
PS premium is such garbage. Paying premium for psone emulation is beyond stupid. Demos… lol. It should be part of the base sub. The premium tier is worthless junk.

Essential + Extra is a great value package and cheaper than game pass total. You would also need to add xbl paywall costs.

But gamespass is better value because of the day one tentpole release. Extra is very much positioned as bargain bin. There are only a small handful of recent new releases (those being demon souls, horizon 2 and returnal). The biggest Sony exclusives won’t be there… you don’t need subs to get players onboard Spiderman 2 , Ragnarok or GT7.

Gamepass is value destructive and catastrophic for studios tho… very much looking forward to seeing it collapse.

I’m done with everything other than PS Essential. Extra kinda sucks
It's easy to advertise day and date exclusives when there hardly any, to far and between and of low quality. Tht isn't adding value at all. It's trying to give the illusion of adding value but there is no substance.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It's easy to advertise day and date exclusives when there hardly any, to far and between and of low quality. Tht isn't adding value at all.
Funny how so many people, after seeing the leaks showing how much of a failure the Xbox strategy is, STILL think Sony should copy them.

It’s a stunning display of utter stupidity that it’s just staggering.