Sony cuts Live Service titles from 12 down to 6

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Was mentioned earlier on the Q2 webcast, I havent managed to listen well to what they said regarding the remaining 6 games. The title is roughly the summary of what I managed to catch from the translator.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan was listening to all the GAAS meltdowns and cancelled everything.

What does it mean to TLOU online tho 😢

Reactions: Diah

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Just to clarify, thats new stuff and doesn't count MLB, right?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
And the remaining 6 will eventually be filtered to 2. And the remaining 2 will release, and have 50% of failure.

Reactions: Entropi

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I thought it was just 6 releasing by fy25 and the rest would come after 🤔 not that the other 6 were cancelled.

I hope this is true though and they put that money back into single player titles. It’s gonna be impossible to compete with GTA 6 online anyways whenever that releases

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Even six is too many.

“That’s the total number of live service and multiplayers titles [and] mid-to-long-term we want to [push] this kind of service and that’s the unchanged policy of the company. It’s not like we stick to certain titles, but game quality should be the most important [thing].”

Yayyy!

Reactions: Diah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
So, what I said they should have always done... now the next part is to bolster their single player game development and IP's.

Hopefully they know they need to do this and it's not all just cut, cut, cut.

Edit: Andy Robinson on Twitter says they are delayed... are they delayed or cut?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They didn't cancel 6 games.

What they said (according to he source, VGC) is that still have the 12 planned GaaS (and said that don't plan to add more), but 6 of them have been delayed to be released after that period (meaning, after March 2026, Sony never said March 2025) because they want to make sure players love them because they think quality is the most important thing.

So I assume the 6 GaaS IPs to be released before March 2026 apparently could be:
  • MLB
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Helldivers 2
  • Concord
  • Fairgame$

• Marathon
And the ones to be released after March 2026 I assume would be:
  • TLOU Online
  • Horizon Online
  • London Studio's game
  • Deviation's game
  • Firesprite's MP game?
  • Maybe GoT Legends 2 as standalone game or Insomniac's MP project?

• Matter

This list could vary if they are counting the Bungie games inside the 12 games (they could even count Destiny), so up to 3 of the 12 could be Bungie titles) and if they count MLB or GT7, or even Firewall Ultra as part of the 12 or not (I'd bet they are counting them).

Hopefully they know they need to do this and it's not all just cut, cut, cut.

Edit: Andy Robinson on Twitter says they are delayed... are they delayed or cut?
The OP is the only one saying they have been cut. Resetera uses a VGC article as source where they don't say anything about cancelled games, they instead said that decided to delay 6 of them beyond March 2026 to further improve them and to ensure players will love them because Sony says that quality is the most important thing for them.

They also mentioned that this is the amount of GaaS they plan to release for the mid to long term, that they don't plan to add more GaaS other than these ones.

And the remaining 6 will eventually be filtered to 2. And the remaining 2 will release, and have 50% of failure.
3 of the 6 to be released before April 2026 already have been released. The other 6 will be released after March 2026.
They continue planning to have 12 IPs with GaaS titles.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Deviation had their project scrapped. TLOU Online probably reworked into a one-and-done co-op campaign so that would effectively no longer make it a live service. More than likely the abomination of a Horizon spin-off that leaked also shitcanned.

I’m assuming most were scrapped after the Bungie/live service panel review.

Interesting is that it was originally stated that many would fail in attempt at making these. Sorta better it happened without stinkers seeing release.

(Edit: if that’s three cancelled … Bungie itself has 3 in active development including destiny. That would make the 6. The other games shown at the ps showcase would exceed the total number rumored to be in dev when you include GT7 and MLB as also being in perpetual active development. I’m starting to believe none of Bungie’s games are included in these numbers and only considers the PlayStation studios side. Nor would I include MLB in this. It’s still a boxed yearly release it’s just that sports games fit the service definition anyway.

Last edited: