Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Money going into a higher focus on PC ports 😂
Julia Roberts Starz GIF by Gaslit

• haha
Reactions: Shmunter

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Why refer to a thread on resetera that refers to an actual article from videogameschronichle?

Thanks for this. It’s nice seeing the actual statements… it was indeed the Bungie review that shook this up. So I guess you all have Bungie to thank for the change in direction?

Also, the claim is the they’ve been pushed back and not canned altogether.

During an earnings call on Thursday, Sony president, COO and CFO Hiroki Totoki seemingly confirmed that this review had resulted in some games being pushed back due to quality concerns.

“We are reviewing this… we are trying as much as possible to ensure [these games] are enjoyed and liked by gamers for a long time,” he said. “[Of] the 12 titles, six titles will be released by FY25 – that’s our current plan. [As for] the remaining six titles, we are still working on that.

“That’s the total number of live service and multiplayers titles [and] mid-to-long-term we want to [push] this kind of service and that’s the unchanged policy of the company. It’s not like we stick to certain titles, but game quality should be the most important [thing].”

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
6 on track and 6 delayed to 2025, where does it say cancelled?
Will be, eventually. This direction is stupid and bombing already.. two heads rolled, one more to go for this piss poor PS direction.

P.s. 6 is until March 2025..other 6 isn't delayed to 2025, it's beyond that..

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Just watching Gen V, and it’s a Sony show. Wonder if The Boys could be on the map for a game.

Would actually be cool, ultra violent hero satire framework.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
So glad to know my vision was vindicated, Jim Ryan was given the boot because his strategy of continuing to acquire unknown developers and flop PC ports were lowering Playstation's margins to oblivion.

Sad the multiplayer games that were likely delayed are the ones that would've did semi decent compared to fairgame$ and concord. (TLOU and Horizon online)

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm sure some people will have missed this, but it's important to note that there's a slide that mentions the following:

FY2023 Forecast (change from August forecast)

Sales: 190 bln yen (5%) upward revision
·(+) Impact of foreign exchange rates
·(+) Increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content

OI: Remains unchanged from August forecast
/ Adjusted OIBDA: 10 bln yen (3%) upward revision*
·(+) Impact of increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content
·(ー) Impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles

Considering that FY23 ends in 03/24, we know for sure that first party titles are being delayed (plural). Additionally, we now know that of the 12 Live Service titles, half of them are being reviewed (not cancelled, though the more they delay, the more likely this is).

As I had predicted, this is just the beginning of the Jim Ryan effect on PlayStation. Accuse me of all the doom and gloom you want, but it's becoming more and more clear that he got the boot, and why he got the boot. His decisions literally compromised employee satisfaction, product pipeline, and the bottom line of shareholders (by impacting revenue figures due to lack of games).

Only problem is who comes next.

Last edited:

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
I'm sure some people will have missed this, but it's important to note that there's a slide that mentions the following:

Considering that FY23 ends in 06/24, we know for sure that first party titles are being delayed (plural). Additionally, we now know that of the 12 Live Service titles, half of them are being reviewed (not cancelled, though the more they delay, the more likely this is).

As I had predicted, this is just the beginning of the Jim Ryan effect on PlayStation. Accuse me of all the doom and gloom you want, but it's becoming more and more clear that he got the boot, and why he got the boot. His decisions literally compromised employee satisfaction, product pipeline, and the bottom line of shareholders (by impacting revenue figures due to lack of games).

Fy23 ends on March 31st 2024

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Fy23 ends on March 31st 2024

Oh yeah, I mathed this wrong. Q2 finishes in September 30, you're right. I'll edit the original post.

This makes it even worse, it means there were multiple titles planed between Oct 1st 23 and March 31st 24 that got delayed.

Reactions: Umar

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Thanks for this. It’s nice seeing the actual statements… it was indeed the Bungie review that shook this up. So I guess you all have Bungie to thank for the change in direction?

Also, the claim is the they’ve been pushed back and not canned altogether.
Giving Bungie so much power 🤦🏽‍♂️

I'm almost sure the original version of Factions was kinda amazing based off Naughty Dog's multiplayer record

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

Considering that FY23 ends in 03/24, we know for sure that first party titles are being delayed (plural). Additionally, we now know that of the 12 Live Service titles, half of them are being reviewed (not cancelled, though the more they delay, the more likely this is).

Armchair

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Man this thread is bad. They have not canceled 6 games, they are just delayed/postponed

Some people seem to miss the point entirely as to why there was a 12 game target to begin with

They targeted 12 knowing some will get delayed, some will get cancelled and some will fail

They aren't stupid, they know how game development works, that have kind of been doing it for a long time. Having 6 actually ready for 2025 was likely totally expected to begin with

Single player games also get cancelled and delayed internally all the time, a lot more than 6 over the last several years, that doesnt mean they gave up single player games just like it doesnt mean they are giving up on these service games

And there are two simple truths people should ve able to understand:

- SIE makes a significant amount of its revenue through microtransactions

- SIE cant and should not rely soley on third party publishers and developer for this significant amount of revenue from microtransactions, especially with companies like Microsoft consolidating the industry

They essentially need their own service games if they want to continue to be successful

People say "they should just keep making AAA single player games" dont get it. If AAA single player games are your thing you are likely already buying a Playstation regardless, if they want to grow their user base and revenue they need successful multiplayer focused games

We have these threads every few months where people applaud Sony's large revenuer numbers and success while ignoring a very large amount if that comes from microtransactions, the thing this site likes to act are so evil. I hope at least someone can realize the irony

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
People say "they should just keep making AAA single player games" dont get it. If AAA single player games are your thing you are likely already buying a Playstation regardless, if they want to grow their user base and revenue they need successful multiplayer focused games

Talk about missing the forest for the trees. Nobody has spoken about playstation betting on live service games in isolation. The problem has always been that they tasked their best studios, whose pedigree is to create AAA single player experiences, to make those games. These games have very different sets of requirements, staffing needs, know how, etc. That's the biggest problem, Sony took an almost either or approach to live service.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Title is misleading.

They’ve delayed half, but are seemingly not reversing course altogether.

Reactions: Diah

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Man this thread is bad. They have not canceled 6 games, they are just delayed/postponed

Some people seem to miss the point entirely as to why there was a 12 game target to begin with

They targeted 12 knowing some will get delayed, some will get cancelled and some will fail

They aren't stupid, they know how game development works, that have kind of been doing it for a long time. Having 6 actually ready for 2025 was likely totally expected to begin with

Single player games also get cancelled and delayed internally all the time, a lot more than 6 over the last several years, that doesnt mean they gave up single player games just like it doesnt mean they are giving up on these service games

- SIE cant and should not rely soley on third party publishers and developer for this significant amount of revenue from microtransactions, especially with companies like Microsoft consolidating the industry

They essentially need their own service games if they want to continue to be successful

We have these threads every few months where people applaud Sony's large revenuer numbers and success while ignoring a very large amount if that comes from microtransactions, the thing this site likes to act are so evil. I hope at least someone can realize the irony
Thanks for the common sense. People pointing to this as the reason the approach won't work or, even more laughably, that proof that Jim Ryan was fired :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: are gasping for validation. You don't fire your most successful CEO for something that was largely expected, and before the alleged negative impacts of their decision-making have come to pass.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

This beg the question

How many live service game do you actually care and play

I havent play any

Cos they look shit to me