Sony holds the keys to Call of Duty’s Future

24 Jun 2022
The only problem with this is, if Sony choose to reject COD on PlayStation, Microsoft will likely pull other ABK and Zenimax games off of PlayStation as well. Remember, in the redacted documents they said a strategy about leveraging the weight of the Zenimax catalog to have clients (i.e Sony, Nvidia etc.) have to buy a glut of games just for the one or two they specifically would want. Probably through some pricing scheme where the specific item wouldn't cost that much less on its own than getting the package of content.

Microsoft could just simply choose to withhold yet more ABK or even Zenimax games off of PlayStation if for any reason Sony decide to block COD off their platform. That's potentially a good number of games. And yes, we already know MS (via Good Guy Phil™) have already said all future Zenimax games will be Xbox console-exclusive; I'm saying they could implement that strategy with current Zenimax games already on the platform. They could also choose to not port certain games over to PlayStation in the future (this goes for both Zenimax and ABK) if they were entertaining the option prior.

So, it's a really dangerous minefield Sony have to navigate with blocking COD off PlayStation platforms. There's also the potential backlash from PlayStation owners; you'd probably see a few class-action lawsuit attempts by some (they'd probably fail, but still) and others who just decide to buy or access the game on another platform like Xbox, as if Game Pass access for the game itself wasn't enough. It may also worry other 3P publishers, who would feel Sony could just decide to block their games off PlayStation platforms for "reasons", making them more apprehensive in dealing with Sony.

In short, blocking COD on PlayStation is simply not a realistic option for Sony. They can't gatekeep what content their customers can access for arbitrary reasons that only deal with Sony's bottom line. Unless future COD games end up causing physical or data damage to PlayStation consoles, or are effectively unplayable heaps of trash like a Black Tiger, there's not much Sony can do but let the games on the platform, so long as Microsoft wants to continue releasing the games on the platform.

If I were Sony, the best way to deal with COD in the short-term would be a mix of building up a couple of solid, well-performing shooters of your own, and partnering with EA on Battlefield. But this time, pair that with making actual substantial investments and buying shares into the company. They're contractually obligated to do the best they can for the COD coming this year but after that? Treat it no differently than any other typical 3P game on your platform that you have no marketing deal, timed or full exclusivity in. It's simply "there" as far as you're concerned, meanwhile you shift all the special focus on Battlefield and your own 1P shooter releases.

I think Sony will support neither XDefiant nor Battlefield. Because same story as Activision: Sony helps promoting and growing a shooter franchise and then potentially half a decade later, Microsoft gobbling them up. Nah I think Sony will go all in for a self-made COD clone. They won’t risk another COD quandary.

That's why they do more than what they did with COD. Do other partnerships with EA on other games, buy a good chunk of shares into the company, heck get a PlayStation person or two on their board of directors. They can secure these types of 3P investments & partnerships without needing to outright acquire, and can make it significantly harder for a company like Microsoft to buy those publishers.

It would be a more involved strategy than what they did with COD & ABK.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The only problem with this is, if Sony choose to reject COD on PlayStation, Microsoft will likely pull other ABK and Zenimax games off of PlayStation as well. Remember, in the redacted documents they said a strategy about leveraging the weight of the Zenimax catalog to have clients (i.e Sony, Nvidia etc.) have to buy a glut of games just for the one or two they specifically would want. Probably through some pricing scheme where the specific item wouldn't cost that much less on its own than getting the package of content.

Microsoft could just simply choose to withhold yet more ABK or even Zenimax games off of PlayStation if for any reason Sony decide to block COD off their platform. That's potentially a good number of games. And yes, we already know MS (via Good Guy Phil™) have already said all future Zenimax games will be Xbox console-exclusive; I'm saying they could implement that strategy with current Zenimax games already on the platform. They could also choose to not port certain games over to PlayStation in the future (this goes for both Zenimax and ABK) if they were entertaining the option prior.

So, it's a really dangerous minefield Sony have to navigate with blocking COD off PlayStation platforms. There's also the potential backlash from PlayStation owners; you'd probably see a few class-action lawsuit attempts by some (they'd probably fail, but still) and others who just decide to buy or access the game on another platform like Xbox, as if Game Pass access for the game itself wasn't enough. It may also worry other 3P publishers, who would feel Sony could just decide to block their games off PlayStation platforms for "reasons", making them more apprehensive in dealing with Sony.

In short, blocking COD on PlayStation is simply not a realistic option for Sony. They can't gatekeep what content their customers can access for arbitrary reasons that only deal with Sony's bottom line. Unless future COD games end up causing physical or data damage to PlayStation consoles, or are effectively unplayable heaps of trash like a Black Tiger, there's not much Sony can do but let the games on the platform, so long as Microsoft wants to continue releasing the games on the platform.

If I were Sony, the best way to deal with COD in the short-term would be a mix of building up a couple of solid, well-performing shooters of your own, and partnering with EA on Battlefield. But this time, pair that with making actual substantial investments and buying shares into the company. They're contractually obligated to do the best they can for the COD coming this year but after that? Treat it no differently than any other typical 3P game on your platform that you have no marketing deal, timed or full exclusivity in. It's simply "there" as far as you're concerned, meanwhile you shift all the special focus on Battlefield and your own 1P shooter releases.

That's why they do more than what they did with COD. Do other partnerships with EA on other games, buy a good chunk of shares into the company, heck get a PlayStation person or two on their board of directors. They can secure these types of 3P investments & partnerships without needing to outright acquire, and can make it significantly harder for a company like Microsoft to buy those publishers.

M$ tried to bring xbox development games on PS and Sony denied those. They denied gamepass too. PS also can demand bigger share of sales, no?
Anyways, we perfectly know that CoD will be xbox or gamepass exclusive at later date. That's why they buying them.

17 Jun 2023
Sony could either maintain status quo or maybe put effort in abandoning Call of Duty off PlayStation platforms.
View attachment 1876
The only change now is Sony won't be able to procure exclusive Call of Duty content in the future (not without parity on Xbox, at least), and CoD's success becomes Xbox's success.
Now, Sony could dismiss CoD off of their platform, but it would makes up a massive portion of their revenue and we would see a lot of cost cutting changes get made in rapid succession.

Either it would severely damage Xbox and the COD franchise or it would severely damage PlayStation and leave it uninvited to the party.
It depends on which way the market develops and how fast MSFT can prove they can/can't make good COD games under their management. If a fully MSFT-run COD does well in the next 3-4 years, then they should be able to maintain the IP, even if Sony drops them. But if they take to long to drop one, or if they drop one too many bad ones, then Sony dropping CoD would kill it.

And in that sense, Sony has been given the keys to CoD's existence. If Sony ever catches COD slipping, they can add fuel to the fire by dropping it from their platform.

Also I do recommend to give this thread a read of Derek Strickland.

That is certainly an interesting take and I see your point, however, given Microsoft’s PR speak and Spencer’s backtracking/lies. I would see them doing something drastic in the future with all IP acquired through this merger.

If I remember correctly, PS hasn’t signed that deal that was put before him from spencer. And also… when under oath during testimony he said that he pledged to keep COD on PlayStation, though that is just COD and no other IP was mentioned.

I see a ton of loopholes that Microsoft can use to manipulate going ahead, and for the time being things will remain mostly the same. Though, in the future, I don’t know how it will pan out for Microsoft and all these IP they’ve acquired.

Management of their studios is not something they are proficient in doing or retaining talent of devs though acquisitions.

For me personally, I did not play Bethesda games, but played COD through the PS3 era and two COD games in the PS4 era. Then I grew tired of it, so in the long run if by chance COD is not on PS, I won’t mind or care.

Long response… apologies😊

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

Now is the time to reestablish relationship with EA and especially with Battlefield... I firmly believe the next Battlefield will be huge and return to form with Vince Zampella taking it over. They need to also try to align EA'a new FC game with Playstation as much as possible for now.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They've shown they're willing to tank sales and take losses for decades to get ahead. Who's to say they won't be taking COD away themselves?

Yep. MS just spent 80BILLION. They dont mind losing some money to gain the future they want

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I think it's pretty clear that Sony has an incentive to kill COD on PlayStation. Many ways to go about it - but most of the ones I think they're willing to entertain will involve suppression of the IP and its marketability. There are a variety of ways to go about that, some more successful than others but there are no good options.

Decision time. This is what defines great leadership. And I'm afraid, Jim a puss and out of his depth, and Sony's CEO, an ignorant fool of the gaming market - he may start to pay attention more closely now to what's going on in his subsidiary - after all it's the golden goose now on the squeeze - no longer a free ride. Easy to be the CFO when Kaz made all the big decisions. Another thing to be the boss yourself and brunt the load.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

MS will be pulling everything out of PlayStation the instant they have enougth market share to justify it. Sony would be smart to do their best to nuke those IPs and get them replaced while PS5 is selling so much more, nextgen the story could be very different if they ignore what MS is doing.

If Sony simply forces MS to make a mistake pull those games out of PlayStation at the wrong time damaging those IPs other games would compensate for it. Now is the time for PlayStation to compete like never before 5 years from now will be 5 years too late.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
MS will be pulling everything out of PlayStation the instant they have enougth market share to justify it. Sony would be smart to do their best to nuke those IPs and get them replaced while PS5 is selling so much more, nextgen the story could be very different if they ignore what MS is doing.

Agree.

Nip it by the bud now and try nurturing other FPS shooters on your platform when you are selling well.

Make a deal with EA for Battlefield and Ubisoft for Xdefiant.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
You guys are crazy to want Sony to cut off COD right now. How does that benefit them when they have no alternative to make up that 1.5+ billion revenue stream? The ramifications it would have on their own internal development would be huge.

It's best they continue to get the money whole seeking out and possibly nuturing potential replacements.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You guys are crazy to want Sony to cut off COD right now. How does that benefit them when they have no alternative to make up that 1.5+ billion revenue stream? The ramifications it would have on their own internal development would be huge.

It's best they continue to get the money whole seeking out and possibly nuturing potential replacements.
And m$ would lose 4 times that, at least, revenue, we are not sure how much it would be profit.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

It's not about cutting it off, they just need to undermine it, phase it out, start to move on from it on their own terms.

When Epic tried to destroy Apple store business they pulled the plug on it. You don't want to help or even just ignore something that is an existential threat to your business.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
And m$ would lose 4 times that, at least, revenue, we are not sure how much it would be profit.
True! But they can afford to lose it... Sony should at least ride out their current contract and then wait till 2025 when the games are allowed to hit Game Pass and cut them off immediately... Since no one will be buying it on Xbox if that's the case.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It's not about cutting it off, they just need to undermine it, phase it out, start to move on from it.
I beg to disagree. Doing this so abruptly would also cost Sony millions of customers this fall... This is just silly. They have no replacement right now.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
True! But they can afford to lose it... Sony should at least ride out their current contract and then wait till 2025 when the games are allowed to hit Game Pass and cut them off immediately... Since no one will be buying it on Xbox if that's the case.
Their current contract is until 2023 dated. Sony doesn’t have contract beyond 2023. It’s now or never to blow a huge damage to Microsoft and COD.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All Sony needs is for the next CoD to be another Vanguard like release. It's not something unimaginable.
I beg to disagree. Doing this so abruptly would also cost Sony millions of customers this fall... This is just silly. They have no replacement right now.
What is abrupt about not helping Activision to push CoD?

It's perfect that Sony has the marketing deal for one more release, time to do a shit job at promoting the next game. Don't bundle it, spend as little as possible on it, give it no preferential treatment, time some other release close to it, promote other games on PS+, etc.

• fire
Reactions: KnittedKnight

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Not sure what would happen with shareholders if that happened.
They already started tighting the belts at xbox. Increase prices, decrease massively benefits, cut family plan..

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Their current contract is until 2023 dated. Sony doesn’t have contract beyond 2023. It’s now or never to blow a huge damage to Microsoft and COD.
But I said COD games cannot appear on Game Pass Day one until 2025.

Ripping COD off PS5 isn't gonna just hurt Microsoft, be realistic

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Not sure what would happen with shareholders if that happened.
They already started tighting the belts at xbox. Increase prices, decrease massively benefits, cut family plan..
Also true! But I still think Sony should ride it out short term until they at least have another revenue stream to rely on, somewhat. It also wouldn't go overwell with the 8 million monthly players of COD on PS.