Sony holds the keys to Call of Duty’s Future

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But I said COD games cannot appear on Game Pass Day one until 2025.

Ripping COD off PS5 isn't gonna just hurt Microsoft, be realistic
Sometimes it makes sense to hurt yourself a little bit now if it hurts the other side more, that is what MS has done when they made all the Bethesda games exclusive, it's what they've done bleeding money to push gamepass, it's what they tried to do with the Series S.

MS wants to destroy PlayStation, we have it on writing what don't you get? Sony should just ignore that fact?

Sony has a single win condition, kill Xbox this gen and force MS to go third-party before they fix their market share. If we ever get a gen where Xbox sell 50/50 early on again, it's over for PlayStation MS will not hesitate to kill PlayStation by pulling all support from it and buying more exclusives and publishers.

Also, if cloud/first-party GaaS/PC are actually the future Sony already lost anyway, consoles is all they have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
But I said COD games cannot appear on Game Pass Day one until 2025.

Ripping COD off PS5 isn't gonna just hurt Microsoft, be realistic
You don’t get it. It will hurt even more if COD stays relevant. What do you think is going to happen when the PS6 launches but Microsoft announces their next Generation Call of Duty is exclusive to Xbox ecosystem?
Sony would be dumb to actually help support the further grow of COD. Sony not allowing COD would help to weaken drastically or even kill COD as franchise. Lets say Call of Duty will be available on PS6. PS gamers will pay 70 Dollars or Euros, Xbox/PC gamers will get to play it literally for free on GP. What’s going to happen? Mass Exodus, Casuals will leave and buy an Xbox. Casuals are not loyal. Hell now is the time to deal a big blow to Microsoft malicious intentions. Even if Sony have to hurt a bit, Microsoft will bleed even more if COD dies.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony gets 70% from the CoD PS revenue and 100% from 1st party games.

Meaning that Sony's shooters combined only need to generate 71% of what CoD did in PS to generate more money to Sony than CoD.

Sony can invest the budget that they spent in the past for CoD marketing + minor exclusives in their upcoming 1st party shooters.

It will hurt even more if COD stays relevant. What do you think is going to happen when the PS6 launches but Microsoft announces their next Generation Call of Duty is exclusive to Xbox ecosystem?
First we have to see if MS ends acquiring ABK. Second we have to see if MS ends making CoD console exclusive rejecting all CoD PS revenue + most CoD revenue from XB and PC game sales. And if they ever do it, we'll have to see when they do it. We also have the consider the option of keeping CoD 10 years in PS and kill the Xbox console hardware before that period ends.

In any case, Sony should stop supporting CoD even if MS doesn't end buying it because even in that case they may do deals with MS. ABK isn't a reliable partner for Sony anymore.

All efforts and budget Sony did in the past to market and support CoD and other shooters should be redirected to support the 1st party Sony shooters to don't depend on CoD, Battlefield, Rainbow 6, XDefiant, Apex Legend, etc. to have well covered that niche.

Also true! But I still think Sony should ride it out short term until they at least have another revenue stream to rely on, somewhat. It also wouldn't go overwell with the 8 million monthly players of COD on PS.
SIE generates 23-25B per year, and only -supposedly 1.5B, the image of the court document wasn't clear- comes from CoD. We also have to remember that 8M MAU is a very small portion of the around 110M PS MAU, and that part of these CoD MAU are from Warzone, a F2P (remember, most players in F2P don't pay anything).

There's a good percent of PS users who also have XB or PC gaming, so pretty likely they wouldn't leave PS. Also, there are other ones who may only have PS but if they don't have CoD will play something else specially if they got CoD thanks to Sony's CoD marketing that now will be used instead with other games.

So the impact of losing CoD would affect a tiny percent of PS revenue and userbase. We also have to remember that the revenue and userbase of PS is in a growing trend, so that growth would compensate the loss.

Why are we pretending MS has no say in this?
If MS ends acquiring ABK, MS will be the only one who will decide what happens with CoD once the Sony+ABK deal ends next year.

CoD makes a lot of money in PS, ABK gets 70% from it and Sony 30% (but being CoD they may have a better deal). CoD are also so expensive to make and they release at least one per year. So both Sony and MS would be interested to keep CoD in PS.

But specially MS, because they would lose way more revenue than Sony if they remove it from PS and making it exclusive wouldn't almost hurt Sony's revenue and userbase and wouldn't help them steal a lot of users from PS.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
You don’t get it. It will hurt even more if COD stays relevant. What do you think is going to happen when the PS6 launches but Microsoft announces their next Generation Call of Duty is exclusive to Xbox ecosystem?
Sony would be dumb to actually help support the further grow of COD. Sony not allowing COD would help to weaken drastically or even kill COD as franchise. Lets say Call of Duty will be available on PS6. PS gamers will pay 70 Dollars or Euros, Xbox/PC gamers will get to play it literally for free on GP. What’s going to happen? Mass Exodus, Casuals will leave and buy an Xbox. Casuals are not loyal. Hell now is the time to deal a big blow to Microsoft malicious intentions. Even if Sony have to hurt a bit, Microsoft will bleed even more if COD dies.
And like I said... It's best they ride it out till 2024 and then cut it off when they have the install base and more heavy heaters to wither the storm. Sorry it's idiotic to cut them off this year especially when they still stand to gain a lot from the game this year. Losing 1.5 billion isn't a drop in the tank for Sony... And then losing Warzone will be a bigger loss.

Sorry I refuse to look at this through a raging petty Stan lense

Reactions: CloudStrife

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
And like I said... It's best they ride it out till 2024 and then cut it off when they have the install base and more heavy heaters to wither the storm. Sorry it's idiotic to cut them off this year especially when they still stand to gain a lot from the game this year. Losing 1.5 billion isn't a drop in the tank for Sony... And then losing Warzone will be a bigger loss.

Sorry I refuse to look at this through a raging petty Stan lense

They need to make COD as irrelevant as possible by 2024.

1st party games and 3rd party deals with EA/Ubisoft.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Considering how much they invested in cod cuting it off wouldnt meand that much. Maybe bigger impact d be on ps plus subs. Wont happen imo. Just hide it on psn. Put up other games. Make it impossible to find on psn. No marketing.

Sign decade markketing deal with ea fc and champions league. Make sure xbox becomes even more dead in europe. Support BF with all the power untill some of 1p fps become success.

Lets hope Concord s proper cod copy. For ll devs, fps legends and industry experts its ridicilous they cant make proper copy.

Ffs cod casuals mostly want quick few matches, 60fps, fast twich shooting, quick respawns. Come cool weapons. Later add some bigger modes etc. Some fine maps. Heck make it ftp or 40$. It would satisfy bunch of cod casuals.

• they're_right_you_know

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023

WHat if they get bought out? I believe Sony needs more of a permanent soloution.
Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

As someone said just ghost the game on PSN but pulling it off the PS ecosystem is not a smart move. Like let's think logical here.

• they're_right_you_know

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
step 1. buy ubisoft.
step 2. remove CoD from Playstation.
step 3. make Xdefiant the face of Playstation shooters
step 4. invest heavily into Battlefield.

I was just about to say something like this. They need to either buy Ubisoft and put the full weight of PlayStation behind XDefiant. Or, get something like a 20 year contract with Ubisoft.
I think Ubisoft has something big with XDefiant. Imagine iconic Sony games/characters as factions in the game. That would be insane. I don't agree about removing Cod though. Just stop advertising and put it in the back of the PS Store.

• Shake
Reactions: Danja1187

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
All Sony needs is for the next CoD to be another Vanguard like release. It's not something unimaginable.

What is abrupt about not helping Activision to push CoD?

It's perfect that Sony has the marketing deal for one more release, time to do a shit job at promoting the next game. Don't bundle it, spend as little as possible on it, give it no preferential treatment, time some other release close to it, promote other games on PS+, etc.
All of COD release dates should be challenged with a tent pole IP, from Sony first-party or a third-party partnership. COD as an IP must be drowned to irrelevance. No other way.

Usually games run from COD release dates. They get a week all for themselves. That should be officially over. Policy going forward should be to schedule a holiday IP to match COD release schedule. You gotta suck the air out it mindshare wise, slowly. It's going to be attrition warfare.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Ubisoft is not happening.
They are to bloated with 10k employees. Many of their projects are in development hell. Sony wants 3 things: iconic IPs with Multi-Media potential. And the most important thing: talented people.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They are to bloated with 10k employees. Many of their projects are in development hell. Sony wants 3 things: iconic IPs with Multi-Media potential. And the most important thing: talented people.
Iconic IP with multi-media potential:
Final Fantasy
Resident Evil
Metal Gear Solid
GTA/RDR

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
COD will decline when they will skip a year between releases. It was supposed to happen this year. The studios are in turmoil already and Microsoft sucks at management.

Then Sony should add to the turmoil.... poach their talent, sabotage their projects.... do whatever they can to ruin what ABK and MSFT are doing while Sony do their own thing.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

More like 20k employees....lol. But seriously, I think they are on the verge of turning things around. They just need to trim the fat and streamline their processes. I think it could work. But before they do that, they need to HEAVILY invest in SE and Capcom. They cannot afford to loose them to MS.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
More like 20k employees....lol. But seriously, I think they are on the verge of turning things around. They just need to trim the fat and streamline their processes. I think it could work. But before they do that, they need to HEAVILY invest in SE and Capcom. They cannot afford to loos them to MS.
some people don't get it, m$ aren't buying any japanese bigger publisher. they have no chance. only one which they can try is Kodakawa or buy just From Software.
most important is to secure western publishers and developers. most important are EA, T2 and Ubisoft. Ubisoft cost peanuts compare to EA or T2.

buying Ubisoft, you buying a lot of well known IPs, which can be turned into films, series or whatever. second, you could hurt badly m$ if you remove those games because ubisoft games are popular on Playstation but also xbox(that's why m$ can try to get them).

92161_2021_nintendo-conquers-console-publishing-revenues-beats-sony-by-3-billion-xbox-8_full.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja1187 and Zzero

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

Some of you here let your own personal bias clout reality. Ubisoft has a lot of talented developers. They have a lot of valuable IP's. They have basically every single genre that playstation has a weak spot in barring WRPG (which they could build if they truly wanted).

They are a perfect get and and they aren't insanely expensive. A bit bloated, but they can be restructured. They also have the workforce to sustain many GaaS throughout WWS.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Some of you here let your own personal bias clout reality. Ubisoft has a lot of talented developers. They have a lot of valuable IP's. They have basically every single genre that playstation has a weak spot in barring WRPG (which they could build if they truly wanted).

They are a perfect get and and they aren't insanely expensive. A bit bloated, but they can be restructured. They also have the workforce to sustain many GaaS throughout WWS.
Why do guys care so much about GaaS and WRPGs? Who cares if Sony can blow huge damage to Microsoft or not. You’re vision is clouded, all you can think of is l getting revenge on MS. Ubisoft games are utterly medicore. I don’t care if The Division or AC move 20 million unit each. I can’t believe it that here are so many Ubisoft fans. It’s publishers like Ubisoft, Epic, EA, and Activision who have ruined the traditional Gaming-Industry. Mass casuals who plays this boring trash. I am so glad nobody of you here sits in Sony’s board. You will never see the day where Sony buys a garbage publisher like Ubisoft. Well what do I expect of casuals who only play COD, AC, GTA and other boring western games. I bet with you 100 Dollar/Euro PSN cards, that Sony won’t attempt to buy a western pub. 100% going to be a Japanese Gaming company.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

It's a very reasonable get for Sony. I could see them paying about 5-6B for them. Plus, with the right moves under Sony, Ubisoft could go from a 3.5 billion dollar market cap to a 20 billion one probably easy.

Reactions: Danja1187 and Puff