Sony is preparing for a new PSP that will run PS4 games

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
From the purple forum

Russian journalist Anton Logvinov, who was the first or one of the first to say earlier that Sony would release its games on PC, said today that Sony is preparing a new PSP for release and PS4 games will be available on it.
He talks about PS4 games that are already available on Steamdeck

Man, Sony taking on Steam with their rumoured launcher and Nintendo with the ancient games handheld. Hide your wife, hide your kids.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero and FatKaz

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Day 1 if true.

It will allow them to take on steam deck which probably won't that hard, i expect ps handheld to smoke steam deck in sales.

Also give them some appeal in japan.

Biggest issue with vita was the separate platform which this won't run into.

Spyxos

4 Apr 2024
Lies No GIF

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
If this is a completely new handheld that runs downgraded PS5 games and has a BC mode for PS4 games then it might be interesting, but releasing just a mobile PS4 sounds like a terrible idea when the Super Switch is less than a year from release.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Of course, that's why their first party studios are making sure the PC ports of their best PS4 games run on the Steam Deck. 🤡

Reactions: Ico

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
it’s not going to run only PS4 games, it’s RDNA 4 1.8teraflops and 18 CUs, not equivalent to 2013 tech, it’s gonna run PS5/6 games but developers will have to make a version for it with lower presets

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This was reported by MLID months ago.

It would run native PS4 games and scaled down PS5 games. Games would need to be patched ot use the PS5 version, but the vast majority of games that are on PS5 now have a cross gen PS4 version, so pretty much every game on PS5 would already work on this device from day 1. Most of the PS5 exclusives are from Sony themselves, so they can patch their own games to work on the device.

I speculated months ago that it would utilize PSSR to run these games with less GPU burden.

Reactions: FatKaz and kuzon

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Doubt it will run PS4 only. It will 100% support PS5 games with lower resolution and fps. Makes no sense to release a handheld which supports only PS4. The PS4 is on a decling branch.

Reactions: FatKaz

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Of course, that's why their first party studios are making sure the PC ports of their best PS4 games run on the Steam Deck. 🤡

They're making sure their games work on Steam deck because they'll sell better on Steam if they do.

If they really wanted to fully support the steam deck, they would have ensured that PSN could run on it, which it can't (windows only).

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
There's no point in releasing a new portable if it's just for old PS4 games, the PSP had its own exclusives and if they're no longer capable they'd be better off concentrating on the PS5.
A real PSP2 with its own games why not otherwise it's not worth it.

Reactions: Ico

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Better late than never, I have been asking for this for a long time. Perfect to increase the value of PS+.

Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy ,Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, RE4, Metaphor: ReFantazio, Persona 3 Reload, there are plenty of relatively new and big releases for the PS4. Devs of less demanding games will be able to support a portable PS4 for years to come and it will also benefit PS4 owners.

This is the type of news that would make me renounce my doomer ways for a while. Something that benefit actual PlayStation player and people invested in the ecosystem.

Portable PS4 combined with improved PS1/PS2/PSP retro would make a great first impression for Hideaki Nishino.

it’s not going to run only PS4 games, it’s RDNA 4 1.8teraflops and 18 CUs, not equivalent to 2013 tech, it’s gonna run PS5/6 games but developers will have to make a version for it with lower presets
It's important to be able to run PS4 games but I see no reason why they wouldn't allow native games to be developed for it ass well to run more efficiently for those devs that want to support it. Win/win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luffy123

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
There's no point in releasing a new portable if it's just for old PS4 games, the PSP had its own exclusives and if they're no longer capable they'd be better off concentrating on the PS5.
With it's own games would be a bad idea imo.

It would be running into the issues psp and ps vita faced.

Nintendo also struggled with having to maintain 2 different platforms with different games. It spreads the audience for a game too thin.

OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Disagree. More games due to an existing backlog PLUS receiving what are currently de facto switch exclusives or PC games in a handheld form factor? That's what increasing your margins and getting back into the ring in Japan looks like.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Use the new handheld to prolong the life of the PS4 catalogue.

It's just the fact that they're supporting competing platforms at the same time that makes me skeptical.

Reactions: Diah and Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
With it's own games would be a bad idea imo.

It would be running into the issues psp and ps vita faced.

Nintendo also struggled with having to maintain 2 different platforms with different games. It spreads the audience for a game too thin.
Being able to run PS4 games is the key for it to work and have an ample catalog of games from day one. It can't depend on devs having to port everything or develop new games for it, that should be just an extra.

If it ends up being comparable in power to the Switch 2 when running native games it opens the door for devs to ports Switch 2 games to it as well.

Might as well have said that there was never a point to playing PS4 games. This would be great news for PlayStation fans, the PS4 library is great, there is zero need for Sony to start developing exclusives for this device when it can do really well with just PS1/PS2/PSP/PS4 and third party support.

The Steam Deck itself is hardly able to run any game that couldn't run on PS4 if devs wanted to do it and it has no dedicated games made for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
What I'm saying is that if it's just the same PS4 games, it'll just be another handheld among many others (deck, rog ally, claw, aya ...) and from then on it'll be pointless and we can't call this console a PSP2 when the PSP had its own game library and was a real handheld with some damn good games, hence its huge success, it stood out from the DS and other home consoles.

Now if it's just going to run old PS4 games it's going to be a duplicate console, so instead of wasting time on that I'd rather Sony stayed focused on the PS5 and not spread themselves too thin on other pointless stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, either they make a real PSP2 or they do nothing. I'm not interested in playing the same old PS4 games that I've finished several times out back then, Everyone has their own opinion but for me if I buy a new console it has to have new games, otherwise no thanks.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What I'm saying is that if it's just the same PS4 games, it'll just be another handheld among many others (deck, rog all, aya ...) and from then on it'll be pointless and we can't call this console a PSP2 when the PSP had its own game library and was a real handheld with some damn good games, hence its huge success, it stood out from the DS and other home consoles.

Now if it's just going to run old PS4 games it's going to be a duplicate console, so instead of wasting time on that I'd rather Sony stayed focused on the PS5 and not spread themselves too thin on other pointless stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, either they make a real PSP2 or they do nothing. I'm not interested in playing the same old PS4 games that I've finished several times out back then, Everyone has their own opinion but for me if I buy a new console it has to have new games, otherwise no thanks.
PSP couldn't run PS2 games so there is that. It is not viable to have devs dedicated to making games for just a portable device at this point, even Nintendo consolidated their developing efforts on a single plataform. Something like the Steam Deck and these other PC portables show that there is a healthy market for a device like this.

Even the PlayStation Portable doing better than expected shows that they could be doing a lot more in this space and this would also be able to stream PS5 games.

The question here is why it's taking them so long to do and not why they are doing it. This would have a much better net return for them than the PC port initiative.

Reactions: Umar and Diah