Sony is preparing for a new PSP that will run PS4 games

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The deck ain't playng no demanding PS5 games with any quality, even Horizon FW, a crossgen game, looks like shit on it.
Steamdeck is over 2 years old and can still play games like returnal at 30fps.
A PSP3 with todays tech should be semi decent

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I’d say technically impossible.

The other matter is of generations. If making a handheld, don’t make it a weaker version of today’s tech, make it something completely different. Otherwise we will be at the mercy of it holding back the flagship hardware.

Reactions: arvfab

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
If this is true kinda hoping they release this in 2026 to deal one final blow to the you know who brand.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

The other matter is of generations. If making a handheld, don’t make it a weaker version of today’s tech, make it something completely different. Otherwise we will be at the mercy of it holding back the flagship hardware.
Exactly, same for people hoping for a hybrid PS6.

Reactions: Shmunter

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

How could a portable that runs PS4 games be impossible to make?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I don't have a portal since I don't play on portables... although it is very tempting.

I had steam deck for a few weeks and it stayed in the drawer. My problem with it was as follows:
The big pc is in this room or next room... yet I play on this tiny pixelated screen, at low settings at 30fps.
Portal at least (if we consider in-home/wifi only use) plays games in their true max form. Same graphics and fps as ps4/5 games. Only some lag added.

I would just wish portal had HDR and oled screen.
If I had the new PSP, it would still only be sued in home, so portal would still be better presumably

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Doubt it's a false report. Moore's law is dead is the one reporting. He is a credible leaker for HW.

Reactions: Shmunter

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
They’re going to get swept again by whatever succeeds the Switch, but if it’s made with the same finesse as PSP then I’ll buy every model they release.

Banana

Banned
10 Jan 2023
Doubt it's a false report. Moore's law is dead is the one reporting. He is a credible leaker for HW.
Holy shit that's huge if it's a part of the PS6 ecosystem. Sony is finally doing it; playstation will be a service that runs on any device.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They’re going to get swept again by whatever succeeds the Switch, but if it’s made with the same finesse as PSP then I’ll buy every model they release.
They dont need to match switch sales I dont think. They just need to sell enough, maybe over 25-30 million. Anything between that and the PSP sales numbers would be a success. They have PS5/PS6 for the home console sales, a PSP3 for portable market. It will help with software sales in Japan too.

Also a PSP3 wont have the same issues as the PS Vita, the library. Vita didnt share a library of games with current consoles, It had only 2 shoulder buttons and bad memory card system

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I don't have a portal since I don't play on portables... although it is very tempting.

I had steam deck for a few weeks and it stayed in the drawer. My problem with it was as follows:
The big pc is in this room or next room... yet I play on this tiny pixelated screen, at low settings at 30fps.
Portal at least (if we consider in-home/wifi only use) plays games in their true max form. Same graphics and fps as ps4/5 games. Only some lag added.

I would just wish portal had HDR and oled screen.
If I had the new PSP, it would still only be sued in home, so portal would still be better presumably
I agree, unless needing to play while travelling - remote play handheld is the optimal solution. Hopefully ps5 pro improves latency.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The Steam Deck already exist, about as powerful as this device would need to be and this would most likely come with even more efficient technology.
Maybe, we’ll see. I’m dubious.

The rest of my comment stands, releasing a ps4 powered device again will hold back the Gen indefinitely.

Reactions: arvfab
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

The rest of my comment stands, releasing a ps4 powered device again will hold back the Gen indefinitely.
Switch didn't hold back the PS4 gen, and Switch 2 won't hold back the PS5 and eventually PS6 gens. I feel like this is the device that eats away at Nintendo's market share and provides a longer lifecycle for titles while the AAA audience continues following the power train. You expect mobile/handhelds to be lower power - it's why the series S approach to this problem never worked.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Switch didn't hold back the PS4 gen, and Switch 2 won't hold back the PS5 and eventually PS6 gens. I feel like this is the device that eats away at Nintendo's market share and provides a longer lifecycle for titles while the AAA audience continues following the power train. You expect mobile/handhelds to be lower power - it's why the series S approach to this problem never worked.
Switch was so different it’s basically a different device. Games were ported, not built in parallel.

If Sony keeps ps4 specs alive, devs will keep targeting that and simply scaling up. Less than optimal situation, and even worse than a Series S.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

I don't get how it will hold back anything, none of the very few games that actually need the power of a PS5 to run would be limited by this portable. There is no need to force anything to run on it beside games already made for PS4, anything else would be entirely optional.

It being able to run the entire PS4 library takes away all the pressure from having to make games run on it and solves the biggest problem the Vita faced.

If Sony is too chicken to try this, fine, Nintendo will have the market all to themselves again, steal more market share from PlayStation and PC devices will slowly keep stealing gaining momentum as well. This gen already shows that hardware power now matter less than ever before as half of Sony's users are still on PS4. As PS5 loses more momentum Sony would then just become even more scared and more likelly to become just another third party publisher, going the way of Xbox.

It's funny that to many Sony porting single player games to PC that sell 2m units at best (with Valve getting a 30% cut) is great business but releasing a portable that would easily sell over $15m is not worth it. Beign too scared to even try is a far bigger risk than just giving it a shot.

Nintendo can do it, Valve can do it, Asus can do it, Lenovo can do it, but Sony can't. They'll be guaranteed losers if that is really the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Umar