Sony may have acquired Ballistic Moon - Rumor

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

The post links to a job description that lists many PS Studios but oddly has Ballistic Moon included in that list.

**However** The wording is 'Partner Studios', so this may well be a nothing-burger, so take with a grain of salt.

7fRsEtiz1nQs2uUGyBRW6IcikK_YWAOAHxeKne7staI.png

They have been working with the Decima engine on a game called Bates Motel.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 050325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
24 Jun 2022
Whether acquired or not, I'm interested to see more about what it is they're working on.

Really though if we're talking Sony acquisitions that aren't publishers, they should go after Shift Up, DokeV devs (if possible), Ember Lab, and Arc System Works.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Bates Motel (like the TV show) sounds interesting but Ballistic Moon is another studio with no hype, no IP, nothing. Lame.

Boring acquisition from Sony while MS is buying megapublishers.

I'm of the same opinion but I don't think Sony would do anything big until Activision / Microsoft is dealt with....

Probably way too risky.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Bates Motel (like the TV show) sounds interesting but Ballistic Moon is another studio with no hype, no IP, nothing. Lame.

Boring acquisition from Sony while MS is buying megapublishers.

Not boring if you know the people running the studio and their history:

England-based developer Ballistic Moon is working on a new game published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, according to the resume of a motion capture actor who worked on the project.

The resume for the actor, who did motion capture for two characters in the game, also lists the game’s placeholder title as “Project Bates,” and the motion capture director as Joshua Archer, who previously worked on motion capture for games such as Until Dawn and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Ballistic Moon was founded in 2019 by industry veterans Neil McEwan, Chris Lamb, and Duncan Kershaw. Ewan previously worked on titles such as House of the Dead: Overkill and Syndicate; Lamb worked on Until Dawn and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood; and Kershaw worked on various game projects ranging from Heavy Rain and
Sleeping Dogs to Disney Pixar Finding Nemo and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

While Ballistic Moon has not yet shared what type of game it is working on, past tweets indicate it will run on Unreal Engine 5 and feature “emotive” performances.

I don't know though new and small, this studio has some decent talent that have worked on AAA Action, First person/ Third person titles.

Using Unreal 5, so I guess we will see.

D

Deleted member 417

Not boring if you know the people running the studio and their history:

I don't know though new and small, this studio has some decent talent that have worked on AAA Action, First person/ Third person titles.

Using Unreal 5, so I guess we will see.
'Psycho' inspired VR puzzle game?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Quantic makes one type of game and their lead director was a complete piece of shit. If I was Sony I would distance myself from them as much as I could.

They make unique type of games. Heavy Rain brought alot of attention to PS3 in those days and Detroit was great. Exclusives they needed for the fanbase.
Im not saying they are huge hits, but they remind me of what unique games Playstation wanted from PS1–PS3 days.

Also SupperMassive are kinda the same. Sony should of bought both last gen

• fire
Reactions: ksdixon

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Meh. Still waiting for a reply from Sony for the Bethesda Acquisition.
Tbh not expecting anything till the Activision decision

Reactions: toadsage44

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They make unique type of games. Heavy Rain brought alot of attention to PS3 in those days and Detroit was great. Exclusives they needed for the fanbase.
Im not saying they are huge hits, but they remind me of what unique games Playstation wanted from PS1–PS3 days.

Also SupperMassive are kinda the same. Sony should of bought both last gen

No they should not have. Supermassive through their failings with other titles that were too similar as Until dawn didn't do as well. It was when they made the VR title that it helped them reach out.

But Quantic makes prettier games that play like Heavy rain, with some nuances thrown in in how story's play out depending on choice. Supermassic makes those types as well. So now you have two developers who make a similar style of title.

And those titles dont sell super well. To me those would be suited for a subscription release.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No they should not have. Supermassive through their failings with other titles that were too similar as Until dawn didn't do as well. It was when they made the VR title that it helped them reach out.

But Quantic makes prettier games that play like Heavy rain, with some nuances thrown in in how story's play out depending on choice. Supermassic makes those types as well. So now you have two developers who make a similar style of title.

And those titles dont sell super well. To me those would be suited for a subscription release.

But then on went to make the Quarry which was there biggest hit.

I know they dont sell super well, but they were pretty unique or different. I miss the days of smaller titles or AA titles. Something Playstation shouldnt forget.

Having more titles and games from decent studios is good for Playstation. They worked with them a few times so they were good enough

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
But then on went to make the Quarry which was there biggest hit.

I know they dont sell super well, but they were pretty unique or different. I miss the days of smaller titles or AA titles. Something Playstation shouldnt forget.

Having more titles and games from decent studios is good for Playstation. They worked with them a few times so they were good enough
Detroit sold 8M. Most of the industry just can dream about it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If theyve bought these guys on the downlow maybe theyve acquired others as well? Deviation is probably a lock, maybe arrowhead and firewalker as well. I dont think sony outright buy a publisher but i think big stock percentage purchases.