Sony may have acquired Ballistic Moon - Rumor

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No they should not have. Supermassive through their failings with other titles that were too similar as Until dawn didn't do as well. It was when they made the VR title that it helped them reach out.

But Quantic makes prettier games that play like Heavy rain, with some nuances thrown in in how story's play out depending on choice. Supermassic makes those types as well. So now you have two developers who make a similar style of title.

And those titles dont sell super well. To me those would be suited for a subscription release.

Detroit become human sold something like 8M copies. They sell ok for their budget.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Detroit become human sold something like 8M copies. They sell ok for their budget.

Detroit cost a lot of money to make and it took them like 4+ years to sell 8 mIllion. On top of needing it being on PC as well as PS4 to reach that number.

Not bad, but also not great when you know its budget was in the 100's+ Million.

Quantic Dream's Detroit: Become Human has reached 8 million copies sold. According to the developer, that number accounts for its PlayStation 4 and PC releases (most sales are from the former), but notably excludes its availability on subscription services like PlayStation Plus.

Detroit: Become Human released for the PS4 in 2018 and received solid reviews. The title became Quantic Dream's best-selling game and stars notable live-action actors such as Clancy Brown and Jesse Williams.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Detroit sold 8M. Most of the industry just can dream about it.
Damn. I thought it was like a couple million, Nice.

Sony should picked them up. Detroit was a great release for PS4. Some of these people who are hard to work with, create some different that standward games.
Shadow of Collosus/Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Detroit. Ive been a Playstation fan for a long time, since PS1. During the PS2/PS3 days, games like this were praised because thats what Playstation was all about. I love the AAA games by WWS, but I also miss the smaller games they done in house and experiments.

Some fans now will dislike or not care if Playstation isn’t cool with them anymore or not doing exclusives with them.
Not having the next David Cage game, Ueda game or Supermassive game isnt a Sony win.
As a big fan, I hope Playstation is teaming up to have a Miyazaki exclusive and Atlus exclusive etc.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Bates Motel (like the TV show) sounds interesting but Ballistic Moon is another studio with no hype, no IP, nothing. Lame.

Boring acquisition from Sony while MS is buying megapublishers.
I’ve said this 1 year ago on another forum and I’ll say it again here. It is easier to buy a big publisher but very hard to maintain it, buying a smaller studio is so much easier to scale the studio up. Basically the risk vs reward is more balanced.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Bates Motel (like the TV show) sounds interesting but Ballistic Moon is another studio with no hype, no IP, nothing. Lame.

Even if sony did acquire them, the fact they have no ip means theyd be relatively dirt cheap and its not like sony would quit acquiring companies after them. My guess is they want someone to fill the void that quantam dream filled without the baggage.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The post links to a job description that lists many PS Studios but oddly has Ballistic Moon included in that list.

**However** The wording is 'Partner Studios', so this may well be a nothing-burger, so take with a grain of salt.
They are working for Sony and Sony didn't buy them (at least until now), so they are a 2nd party studio. So yes, fits as 'partner' without requiring to be acquired.

7fRsEtiz1nQs2uUGyBRW6IcikK_YWAOAHxeKne7staI.png

They have been working with the Decima engine on a game called Bates Motel.
Please, ignore that list. It's full of fake stuff and copypasted previously known info or rumors.

Thanks to the detective @Angie we knew way before that list was published that they were working for Sony in a project codenamed "Project Bates". Not "Bates" (as appears in the list), not "Bates Motel" (as appears in your post). We also knew they are working on UE5, not in Decima.

image.png

Btw Angienetta is the best avatar ever:
33833-l.webp

Norman Bates is the character from Psycho, a classic Hitchcock horror film. Bates Motel is a prequel tv show to that movie, but the name of this project is 'Project Bates', not 'Bates Motel'.

Some of the Ballistic Moon staff comes from having worked in Supermassive, being some of them one of the founders and their creative director (who directed games from Supermassive released after Until Dawn) and a bunch of coders/tech guys.

Normally the codenames of the games are losely related to the type of game or to some inside joke or some random element from the game. In this case, it could indicate they are working on a horror game similar to the Supermassive ones.

But there are also -as usual- a good portion of junior staff plus many people experienced in other studios as could be Rockstar, EA, Quantic Dream, Firesprite or Fabrik to name a few of them. The people who worked on Supermassive is a minority. So who knows.

The studio was founded in early 2019, so we may see their game announced this or (maybe even more likely) next year.

Last edited:

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
They are working for Sony and Sony didn't buy them (at least until now), so they are a 2nd party studio. So yes, fits as 'partner' without requiring to be acquired.

Please, ignore that list. It's full of fake stuff and copypasted previously known info or rumors.

Thanks to the detective @Angie we knew way before that list was published that they were working for Sony in a project codenamed "Project Bates". Not "Bates" (as appears in the list), not "Bates Motel" (as appears in your post). We also knew they are working on UE5, not in Decima.

image.png

Btw Angienetta is the best avatar ever:
33833-l.webp

Norman Bates is the character from Psycho, a classic Hitchcock horror film. Bates Motel is a prequel tv show to that movie, but the name of this project is 'Project Bates', not 'Bates Motel'.

Some of the Ballistic Moon staff comes from having worked in Supermassive, being some of them one of the founders and their creative director (who directed games from Supermassive released after Until Dawn) and a bunch of coders/tech guys.

Normally the codenames of the games are losely related to the type of game or to some inside joke or some random element from the game. In this case, it could indicate they are working on a horror game similar to the Supermassive ones.

But there are also -as usual- a good portion of junior staff plus many people experienced in other studios as could be Rockstar, EA, Quantic Dream, Firesprite or Fabrik to name a few of them. The people who worked on Supermassive is a minority. So who knows.

The studio was founded in early 2019, so we may see their game announced this or (maybe even more likely) next year.
Thank you.

Also they did a total rebrand refresh about a month ago with a new logo and website and everything. Firesprite did the same being acquired.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
To sell around 5M copies in that genre -let's say conversational/point and click adventures- is already great, basically nobody else sells that. They were very successful with Heavy Rain and Detroit.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Thank you.

Also they did a total rebrand refresh about a month ago with a new logo and website and everything. Firesprite did the same being acquired.
I just noticed that after replacing "partner studios" and the list of studios (all first party with the exception of Ballistic Moon), they now show instead "for 1st and 2nd party product development projects", which seems to confirm that the type of partnership they had there was 2nd party one:

image.png

'1st and 2nd party' projects, but all the studios that were in the list before were first party with the exception of Ballistic Moon, meaning that if someone was 2nd party in the list were them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
I just noticed that after replacing "partner studios" and the list of studios (all first party with the exception of Ballistic Moon), they now show instead "for 1st and 2nd party product development projects", which seems to confirm that the type of partnership they had there was 2nd party one:

image.png

'1st and 2nd party' projects, but all the studios that were in the list before were first party with the exception of Ballistic Moon, meaning that if someone was 2nd party in the list were them.
They working with Xdev, but Firesprite was too before getting aquired.

But tbh I don't thin Sony is buying them. First game from them, with no previous work with, in a market they already have several studios.

Also the new president mentioned that they are looking to get IPs, something that Ballistic Moon doesn't have. And previous job applications from Sony they were asking for people with experience with integrate alot of people into Sony. And they woudn't need that for such a small studio.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

But tbh I don't thin Sony is buying them. First game from them, with no previous work with, in a market they already have several studios.

Also the new president mentioned that they are looking to get IPs, something that Ballistic Moon doesn't have. And previous job applications from Sony they were asking for people with experience with integrate alot of people into Sony. And they woudn't need that for such a small studio.

Yes, Xdev is the Sony team who handled the European 2nd party games since many years ago. Which means that the devs (acquired or not) of any 2nd party European game has worked -or is working- with Xdev.

And yes, they hired people in the past to integrate people from acquisition. As I remember, some of these job offers were previous to completing the acquisitions of Bungie, Haven, Lasengle, Savage and maybe other recent ones I may forget.

Jimbo and Hermen mentioned later that they were going to continue acquiring.

Regarding mobile, in addition to hiring some related executives and acquiring Savage and (inside Sony Music) Lasengle, in their strategy they also mentioned that were going to acquire for mobile in addition to make partnerships with external studios. So I expect to see at least one of the next few acquisitions to be a mobile gaming studio.

In recent acquisitions, also including Firesprite, Fabrik or support studios like Nixxes or Valkyrie, the only meaningful IP is Destiny from Bungie. Do you remember where that IP quote was from? The only one I remember is from a lot of time ago, it was talking about the whole Sony mentioning they wanted to make acquisitions to grow in DTC and IP. Meaning that they wanted to grow their digital stores and the amount of owned IPs, but maybe could be understood to both buy IPs and also buy talent to work in -or to create- IPs. I assume there's some other quote related to IP that I missed or forgot.

24 Jun 2022

TBF, Sony did acquire Haven and they haven't put out a game yet. Could it be possible they've seen what Ballistic are working on and were so impressed that they went and acquired them? They do have some folks from Supermassive among them, so they have pedigree of known quality & reputation.

Reactions: One eyed jacks

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
TBF, Sony did acquire Haven and they haven't put out a game yet. Could it be possible they've seen what Ballistic are working on and were so impressed that they went and acquired them? They do have some folks from Supermassive among them, so they have pedigree of known quality & reputation.
That’s my hope.. because first we get a great game and second PlayStation studios will help elevate it to another level.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
To sell around 5M copies in that genre -let's say conversational/point and click adventures- is already great, basically nobody else sells that. They were very successful with Heavy Rain and Detroit.
This is why I didn't understand cutting ties with whole of QD if the issue was David/crunch. You can go in, add infrastructure or perhaps funding and still come out with a good team of people etc?

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Yes, Xdev is the Sony team who handled the European 2nd party games since many years ago. Which means that the devs (acquired or not) of any 2nd party European game has worked -or is working- with Xdev.

And yes, they hired people in the past to integrate people from acquisition. As I remember, some of these job offers were previous to completing the acquisitions of Bungie, Haven, Lasengle, Savage and maybe other recent ones I may forget.

Jimbo and Hermen mentioned later that they were going to continue acquiring.

Regarding mobile, in addition to hiring some related executives and acquiring Savage and (inside Sony Music) Lasengle, in their strategy they also mentioned that were going to acquire for mobile in addition to make partnerships with external studios. So I expect to see at least one of the next few acquisitions to be a mobile gaming studio.

In recent acquisitions, also including Firesprite, Fabrik or support studios like Nixxes or Valkyrie, the only meaningful IP is Destiny from Bungie. Do you remember where that IP quote was from? The only one I remember is from a lot of time ago, it was talking about the whole Sony mentioning they wanted to make acquisitions to grow in DTC and IP. Meaning that they wanted to grow their digital stores and the amount of owned IPs, but maybe could be understood to both buy IPs and also buy talent to work in -or to create- IPs. I assume there's some other quote related to IP that I missed or forgot.

It came from their fiscal report and appointed new President

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
I think Haven is a unique situacion because they were bought not just because of the game, but for their cloud solution to make games

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Haven is a unique situacion because they were bought not just because of the game, but for their cloud solution to make games
True. Cerny and Hermen were very impressed by their solution -originally/partly developed at Google- to make basically everything in the cloud and in a single solution that optimizes and help make several tasks and processes way faster than usual, in addition to make easier the remote work or to share work between different teams.

That did help them to progress the development of their first game for Sony faster than expected, something rare (delays are pretty common).

But well, some of the people who did this tool/tech came from Ubisoft or Google, where they are used to things like that even if their case was pretty unique and innovative.

On top of that, when they left Google they had three game projects to pitch and Sony wanted all three (Jade has a lot of experience at creating and growing fast very successful and productive teams), but the Haven wanted to start by developing only a single game.

Some Haven staff also has been key at creating top selling AAA games (one of them being the MP GaaS Rainbow Six Siege) including some top selling AAA new IPs (like AC or Watchdogs). But well, that part is common with other acquisitions.

It came from their fiscal report and appointed new President
Cool thanks. I tried to find the original source quotes, found these things regarding IP acquisition and growth:

Sony's CEO said: “(Mr. Totoki’s) biggest contribution is growth investment and support. One is content IP. Although there are acquisitions in the DTC area such as Crunchyroll for anime distribution, we focused on strengthening content IP in particular. Opportunity What changed was the acquisition of EMI Music Publishing, a music publishing company, in May 2018, just after he became CEO, and he led the acquisition, including the negotiation of terms.And the other is semiconductors."
"Regarding Mr. Mitomo, who will be appointed as the next vice president, he said, “Motomo has a long experience in the intellectual property field, and is a person with knowledge of technology and a strategic perspective. Most recently, he has worked in new business development, corporate venture capital, He is leading businesses such as virtual production and metaverse across the group.”

――In your new position as president, what kind of business do you want to work on, or what kind of new things do you want to do?

Mr. Totoki:First of all, we will create further growth after firmly boosting what we are planning in the current medium-term management plan. Basically, we are thinking in the direction of strengthening each of our current businesses.
–The past presidents had a mission or a slogan. What kind of slogan does Mr. Totoki raise?

Mr. Totoki:I am obsessed with “growth”. A business, and a company, if its growth stagnates, it will fall into a negative spiral in many ways. Therefore, by sticking to achieving growth, as I said in my speech earlier, we will create a positive spiral of being chosen by customers and energizing our employees. So, if I had to sum it up in one word, I would be “growth.”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is why I didn't understand cutting ties with whole of QD if the issue was David/crunch. You can go in, add infrastructure or perhaps funding and still come out with a good team of people etc?
We have no single fact that lead us to think that Sony had issues with David/crunch and cutted ties with them.

After Detroit QD, decided to go fully independent and grow by becoming a publisher to selfpublish their own -plus external- games and go multiplatform. This is a huge change that requires a lot of work, planning, money and effort. Not something you do butthurted when your only money source (Sony) kicks you.

When they announced it, QD mentioned that they were doing that while keeping a door open to maybe work with Sony again somewhere in the future.

Sony publicly publicly wished them the best of lucks and -when Sony still wasn't making PC ports- allowed QD to port to PC and selfpublish the Sony owned games that QD had developed for Sony. Considering that Heavy Rain and Detroit are very successful, it's a very generous move from Sony that doesn't indicate a bad relationship, the opposite. Sounds more like helping their old friend/partner to grow thanking them for the successful work they did for them in the past.

Also, even if multiplatform the future QD games will continue to be released on PS and Sony now won't need to fund them. So it really isn't a big loss for Sony.

Last edited: