Sony may have acquired Ballistic Moon - Rumor

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They working with Xdev, but Firesprite was too before getting aquired.

But tbh I don't thin Sony is buying them. First game from them, with no previous work with, in a market they already have several studios.

Also the new president mentioned that they are looking to get IPs, something that Ballistic Moon doesn't have. And previous job applications from Sony they were asking for people with experience with integrate alot of people into Sony. And they woudn't need that for such a small studio.

With Sony going for ips, who do you realistically think they go for?

• party
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pretty likely tv shows, new big music artists, some tv channel/music label and some gamedev studios with a previous history of creating very successful AAA IPs or GaaS/mobile games.

Probably more music labels and Indian tv channels or bollywood movie production companies.

Last edited:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
  • party
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I researched a bit to see how accurate Pitchbook is with the Sony acquisitions and found an important mistake:

Novarama is a studio from my city -I have friends there- who wasn't acquired by Sony. They instead are an independent studio who developed exclusively for Sony during around a decade many Sony published games -mostly from the Invizimals series, an AR PSP game very successful in the south of Europe-, and during that period they got a 1st party treatment. Meaning, they were a 2nd party studio.

Some time later Novarama switched to mobile and PC (their most recent game is Skillsquad, a cool self published 'Diablo meets Destiny' game) and now are working on a multiplatform game. More recently, Tencent invested on them getting a big chunk of their shares but as far as I know, not fully acquiring them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The site is 100%. It’s a tracker for venture capital investment in startups, used by investment advisors and financial institutions.

Excellent, that's awesome so.... a horror focused studio added to the PS Studios, hope they hit the quality bar.

I am crossing my fingers for CDPR or someone like that to fill the WRPG space in the next year or two for PS 1st party and maybe continue to buy more of From or get a JRPG studio....

Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I researched a bit to see how accurate Pitchbook is with the Sony acquisitions and found an important mistake:

Novarama is a studio from my city -I have friends there- who wasn't acquired by Sony. They instead are an independent studio who developed exclusively for Sony during around a decade many Sony published games -mostly from the Invizimals series, an AR PSP game very successful in the south of Europe-, and during that period they got a 1st party treatment. Meaning, they were a 2nd party studio.

Some time later Novarama switched to mobile and PC (their most recent game is Skillsquad, a cool self published 'Diablo meets Destiny' game) and now are working on a multiplatform game. More recently, Tencent invested on them getting a big chunk of their shares but as far as I know, not full acquiring them.

Give it up man.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Seems like Sony got their Quantic Dream/Supermassive equivalent but for cheap.

Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land

We know whatever game they're working on must've really impressed Sony if they decided to buy them.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Excellent, that's awesome so.... a horror focused studio added to the PS Studios, hope they hit the quality bar.

I am crossing my fingers for CDPR or someone like that to fill the WRPG space in the next year or two for PS 1st party and maybe continue to buy more of From or get a JRPG studio....
A western RPG studio would be good, but CDPR would be the worst possible choice. Incompetent and dishonest are not traits we need in gaming studios, and especially not in studios Sony brings into the fold if we want a healthy PlayStation going forward.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
A western RPG studio would be good, but CDPR would be the worst possible choice. Incompetent and dishonest are not traits we need in gaming studios, and especially not in studios Sony brings into the fold if we want a healthy PlayStation going forward.

I honestly think Sony should poach the right talent of Bethesda and CDPR and open their own RPG studio. Would take a few years, but would be worth it if they could deliver a very good RPG with actual gameplay and graphical standards.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I honestly think Sony should poach the right talent of Bethesda and CDPR and open their own RPG studio. Would take a few years, but would be worth it if they could deliver a very good RPG with actual gameplay and graphical standards.
I don't see them reaching the graphical standards of a game like Horizon Forbidden West, or even shipping a game in console on a polished state instead of being a broken bugfest. Also, in CD Projekt they have issues with their working culture etc.

As Guerrilla keeps growing and creating new teams inside it, maybe the best option hire a few key people from both studios in the areas where they may outperform Guerrilla and not hire the people from areas where Guerrilla outperforms there. Maybe in stuff related to concept art, world building or environmental storytelling narrative they could hire people from CD Projekt or Bethesda.

Edit: I went to check out people credited in Cyberpunk 2077 from this area and I see that many key people already left CD Projekt:
  • Top people working on environment concept art: one of their two Senior Environment Concept Art Coordinators is now at Blizzard.
  • Senior Concept Artists for environments: out of their five one is now at ILM, other is at IOI.
  • Quest design directors: one of the two is now at Riot Games
  • Principal writer: now at Rebel Wolves
  • Second director and head of production: now at Revel Wolves
I didn't check these positions for Skyrim, The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4, but probably many of them also left.

Last edited: