Sony Pictures Core, formerly Bravia Core, launches on PS5 and PS4 consoles; exclusive benefits including early access to select Sony Pictures films

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Damn Samsung was always regarded as top of the line TV brand. I always use to buy Samsung and LG had some good panels few years back.
Samsung is as bad for updating their TVs as they are for updating their Android phones, and LG has ridiculous firmware issues that impact the picture quality of their sets, and they can take FOREVER to fix them.

LG and baseline Sony sets use the same panels, as Sony and LG own a factory jointly, but Sony tends to have much better firmware and offer more updates and support. The 2015 Bravia K series I replaced with my X90 got a major update this March!

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Samsung is as bad for updating their TVs as they are for updating their Android phones, and LG has ridiculous firmware issues that impact the picture quality of their sets, and they can take FOREVER to fix them.

LG and baseline Sony sets use the same panels, as Sony and LG own a factory jointly, but Sony tends to have much better firmware and offer more updates and support. The 2015 Bravia K series I replaced with my X90 got a major update this March!
Huh? All I buy is Samsung galaxies and prefer it over apple which I use to buy. I get a phone update every few weeks or so. They update often so idk where u get that from lol one time I was pissed because I got three updates in a row just one week from eachother.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Damn Samsung was always regarded as top of the line TV brand. I always use to buy Samsung and LG had some good panels few years back.
Samsung's QC is not that great. They usually have the newest technologies but Sony and Panasonic are the heavy hitters in build quality, image quality and reliability.

LG is like a middle ground, but they come poorly calibrated out of the box so the colors are either oversaturated or crushes the blacks/low light details. But LG also has the best gaming features and the lowest latencies/response times.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Samsung's QC is not that great. They usually have the newest technologies but Sony and Panasonic are the heavy hitters in build quality, image quality and reliability.

LG is like a middle ground, but they come poorly calibrated out of the box so the colors are either oversaturated or crushes the blacks/low light details. But LG also has the best gaming features and the lowest latencies/response times.
Yes my LG had low latency especially on game mode. My screen was crisp asf even better than the Panasonic and Samsung I had at the time.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes my LG had low latency especially on game mode. My screen was crisp asf even better than the Panasonic and Samsung I had at the time.
Specifically talking about the panasonic OLED which isn't sold in the US, iirc it's asia region only

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Huh? All I buy is Samsung galaxies and prefer it over apple which I use to buy. I get a phone update every few weeks or so. They update often so idk where u get that from lol one time I was pissed because I got three updates in a row just one week from eachother.
Depending on the model, a lot of Samsung phones never get major version updates, just security fixes.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I’m slowly quitting on all streaming services. Most apps I borrow logins from friends. This seems like a better option if they can manage to keep the price what it is.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I’m slowly quitting on all streaming services. Most apps I borrow logins from friends. This seems like a better option if they can manage to keep the price what it is.
I have a fire stick. I gave up on all that overpriced bs once they started getting real strict with sharing with family and charging for that as well, fuck them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: BroodCorp

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Can you buy movies through Sony Pictures Core or just rent/just stream? Why shut down the old PS movie purchases, if going to re-engage/associate media and PS by rolling them together with PS+ subscription such as with Crunchyroll here? I dont get it

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Can you buy movies through Sony Pictures Core or just rent/just stream? Why shut down the old PS movie purchases, if going to re-engage/associate media and PS by rolling them together with PS+ subscription such as with Crunchyroll here? I dont get it
You can buy. GT movie is like $20 to rent and $25 to buy that doesn't make much sense to me being price isnt that diff but yes you can buy in 4K.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I see. I assume that for them may be a pain in the ass to update tv specific apps or a gazillion tvs, so maybe they don't support anymore older models and only support wider platforms that support a gazillion tvs as Google TV, Apple TV (and maybe some propietary OS that modern LG and Samsung may have) without needing to update the apps specifically to each tv.
I call shenanigans. Lovefilm ps3 and Sony TV app auto changed to Amazon prime video app when they bought it out. But if both fun/cr apps exist surely one branding should bite the dust and all content moved to one service?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
You can buy. GT movie is like $20 to rent and $25 to buy that doesn't make much sense to me being price isnt that diff but yes you can buy in 4K.
So Sony are just fucking stupid then. They've stranded PS movie purchases like they have peoples PS3 BC digital game purchases. Those should have been carried forward to SPCore and PS+ respectively.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It’s all down to the contracts with theatres. They rent for that much or more until the theatrical window is up

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It was a pretty entertaining sci fi movie, what did you expect Dune level story telling?
so i rewatched it since it was free, yeah it's pretty bad lol, but tbh it's kind of shocking how little hollywood writing has advanced in 20+ years

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I call shenanigans. Lovefilm ps3 and Sony TV app auto changed to Amazon prime video app when they bought it out. But if both fun/cr apps exist surely one branding should bite the dust and all content moved to one service?
I have no idea, maybe it depends of each app team available budget for apps at that time, and if they support that tv at the time of if they are ok with doing these things.

Consider that even if bought they are still a different team/company than the other apps, and the acquisitions and app merges happened at different times, so maybe they merged the apps in all their supported platforms now but that specific tv is no longer supported by them.

The PS blog post in the OP that you didn't read says that Sony Pictures Core is a store to buy or rent movies and starts with a catalog of 2000+ movies, it isn't a Netflix. Also mentions that in the future they will include more stuff including 'a selection of anime content from Crunchyroll'.

The PS+ Premium and PS+ Deluxe tiers will include 100+ rotating Sony Pictures Core movies via streaming. Which I assume it implies it's a streaming service so maybe doesn't have an option to download movies.

They didn't mention if you'll get for free here the old PS movie purchases you did buy or not.

GT movie is like $20 to rent and $25 to buy
This price it's too expensive even for being in early access.

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
UK list is abysmal.

There is some decent stuff, but nothing that would make me go oh let me turn on my ps5 to watch this.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Gonna fire up Uncharted tonight. Been impressed with the streaming quality so far, watched Kingsglaive the other day and it was fantastic.