Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount. |UP|Sony Makes $26 Billion All-Cash Offer for Paramount.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Most of the value from Paramount IPs seem to come from the fact Tom Cruise is still working with them. Personally I would much rather have Final Fantasy in the long run over any of their IPs.

Final Fantasy is the perfect gaming IP to be adapted to other media. Just like it happened to Fallout or TLoU it's only a matter of doing it right once and it would go mainstream.

Sony can't see the value on PlayStation, can't see the value on SquareEnix, can't see the value on exclusives, but they can see the value on Paramount...
Square Enix is excellent in alot of ways, they have a very successful MMO (albeit there are some future accessibility issues since PSN & Square dont let you change accounts and the regions have to match for product purchases).

They also have Final Fantasy which is always a extremely high quality IP, Rebirth likely will wing Game of the Year and that will definitely get Sony's attention, amazing graphics, the combat, the HUGE world, incredible exploration.

Same with FF XVI which is just an Epic adventure where the main story quests in particular offer extreme highs. Final Fantasy alone is a Legacy IP for gaming as a whole

They have Dragon Quest and the connection with Disney for Kingdom Hearts. All three of these IPs are incredibly hyped along with the subscription based MMO, but they also have smaller IPs and games that can garner more & more attention over time.

Along with a Audience and balance that is missing in the current first party balance in RPGs and mind-blowing different kinds of stories & a huge + acquiring Square would give them huge attention and connection to the Playstation mindshare with its Japanese audience pretty much all year around.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Since Sony wasn't really interested in owning P+, I'm happy Skydance is getting them. I think it would have been a waste to tear the company apart.

Agreed.

It wouldn't even make sense to have P+ without it's studios and IP's. It just removes a streaming service from the competitive landscape or makes them less capable to compete without their own content.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Agreed.

It wouldn't even make sense to have P+ without it's studios and IP's. It just removes a streaming service from the competitive landscape or makes them less capable to compete without their own content.

I could see owning the IP without owning the studios and selling off P+, I just thought it was really shortsighted.

And one fewer buyer means less competition for the content they'd be making.

I think they could have made P+ a juggernaut but not P+ will need to partner with WBD at some point once they both can manage their balance sheets better.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Paramount+ isn't even in my country, so I have no idea.

I think they would have sold off the streaming though... probably.
I got it once to watch a football game and it wanted to charge me extra to watch it on my TV instead of the phone. :ROFLMAO:

• haha

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022

Chair Shari Redstone is unhappy with Skydance Media's reduced offer for the family's controlling stake in the company, opening the door for rival bidders to make their case, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters on Wednesday.

Over a months' long pursuit of a deal with Paramount, Skydance CEO David Ellison reduced his initial $2.5 billion offer for National Amusements, which holds the Redstone family's Paramount stake, to provide additional cash for the company's nonvoting shareholders, according to one source familiar with the process.

• brain
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Still doubt that Sony is buying them.

Sony has rethought their bid. They have realised in what state Paramount is.
When Skydance was reported to finalise the deal soon, from the report a couple of days ago, Sony stock did rise at 3%.
Even the shareholders don't want this merger to happen

Reactions: Luffy123

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Still doubt that Sony is buying them.

Sony has rethought their bid. They have realised in what state Paramount is.
When Skydance was reported to finalise the deal soon, from the report a couple of days ago, Sony stock did rise at 3%.
Even the shareholders don't want this merger to happen
If Sony still wanted they would have come up with a response after reports about Paramount's board recommending the Skydance deal. They are still having a look at Paramount's books, so anything is possible, but I doubt they will go forward with a deal.

And like you said shareholders even don’t want Sony to buy them it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You said it yourself. Morbius, Madame Web, and Kraven are bad ideas, but SOMEHOW Venom which was equally a bad idea made money...
Absolute nonsense. The casuals have fuck all idea who Madame Web or Morbius are, but Venom has a massive mindshare.

That being said Madame Web was the #1 movie on Netflix when it released.

Sony is trying to make franchise movies out of subpar IP so they can run their Netflix deal out. Once the deal expires, they'll release bigger Spider-Man movies.

Spider-Man 4 (Raimi + Maguire)
Amazing Spider-Man 3 (Garfield)
Spider-Gwen (Emma Stone)
Spider-Man Home Trilogy 2
Spider-Man Home Miles Morales
This makes no sense.

First of all, they don't really have a dedicated streaming platform, and their movies join Netflix 6 months post theatrical release. If anything, this gives them more money, not less. Second, older Spider-Man movies are on Netflix already, disproving this theory altogether. Finally, they are not releasing multi-million dollar flops to let a contract run out - See above.

Assuming the standard logic of 2.5x revenue to cover Production Costs
- Morbius: Didn't make money
- Madame Web: Lost them probably something like 100M dollars
- Kraven: We shall see

The only character that is actually making money is Venom, which is the most Spider-Man adjacent character.

Morbius had a budget of 75-83 million dollars and it made 167 million at the box office. It came close to breaking even with the 2.5x budget formula.

That's called a flop. You're making it sound as if it was almost a success. Also 75*2.5=187, which means it lost around 20M best case.

Madame Web didn't have a huge marketing budget and it made back its initial budget.

No it didn't. Madame Web's budget without Marketing was between 80 and 100M dollars. Even if they only spent 0.5x production budget in Marketing it would still have made a loss. Unless you don't consider marketing as part of a movie's budget.

None of those movies were massive failures.
Yes they were. The only success so far was Venom.

Edit: Forgot to add the Spider-Verse movies. Those are outstanding and they should not fuck them up. They also disprove the nonsensical Netflix theory since they have been added there as well, and were wildly successful. Per the illogical theory these would have been shit to let the contract run out 😂

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Absolute nonsense. The casuals have fuck all idea who Madame Web or Morbius are, but Venom has a massive mindshare.

Casuals didn't know about antman or the guardians of the galaxy either...

This makes no sense.

First of all, they don't really have a dedicated streaming platform, and their movies join Netflix 6 months post theatrical release. If anything, this gives them more money, not less. Second, older Spider-Man movies are on Netflix already, disproving this theory altogether. Finally, they are not releasing multi-million dollar flops to let a contract run out - See above.

Assuming the standard logic of 2.5x revenue to cover Production Costs
- Morbius: Didn't make money
- Madame Web: Lost them probably something like 100M dollars
- Kraven: We shall see

The only character that is actually making money is Venom, which is the most Spider-Man adjacent character.

Clearly you don't understand the netflix deal. The Netflix deal was for all Sony movies and new movies until contracts end.

I'm not saying they are releasing movies to flop, I'm saying they're holding off on making movies they know will be bigger hits.

After the success of No Way Home, why do you think they haven't announced a movie with tobey maguire or andrew garfield, but they're making morbius, madame web, and Kraven?

That's called a flop. You're making it sound as if it was almost a success. Also 75*2.5=187, which means it lost around 20M best case.

No it didn't. Madame Web's budget without Marketing was between 80 and 100M dollars. Even if they only spent 0.5x production budget in Marketing it would still have made a loss. Unless you don't consider marketing as part of a movie's budget.

Yes they were. The only success so far was Venom.

Movies don't only make money from box office. All of these movies are part of the Netflix 5 year deal, for which they've already been paid handsomely.

Edit: Forgot to add the Spider-Verse movies. Those are outstanding and they should not fuck them up. They also disprove the nonsensical Netflix theory since they have been added there as well, and were wildly successful. Per the illogical theory these would have been shit to let the contract run out 😂

Spider-Verse is already part of the contract, which was signed before the the success of no way home.

When Spider-Man 4 and/or Amazing Spider-Man 3 are announced to release summer 2026 and beyond, you'll know that I was right.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Didn't Sony and Apollo back out of buying all of Paramount?
no, they got outbid by the original group. also sony shareholders weren't too happy with it so idk if they'll make another offer. imo they shouldn't get into a bidding war for a spiraling company like paramount, that's a move microsoft would do. sony should buy a company that's up and coming, not an aging dinosaur on its last legs.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
no, they got outbid by the original group. also sony shareholders weren't too happy with it so idk if they'll make another offer. imo they shouldn't get into a bidding war for a spiraling company like paramount, that's a move microsoft would do. sony should buy a company that's up and coming, not an aging dinosaur on its last legs.

Meanwhile, Sony Pictures and private-equity firm Apollo Global Management emerged as joint bidders for Paramount Global, floating an offer of $26 billion (including assumption of debt) last month. However, Sony and Apollo have since backed away from pursuing a deal for Paramount in its entirety.

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Casuals didn't know about antman or the guardians of the galaxy either...
And those had a value proposition of the MCU, which Morbius and Madame Web didn't. You cannot compare the two of them.

Clearly you don't understand the netflix deal. The Netflix deal was for all Sony movies and new movies until contracts end.

I'm not saying they are releasing movies to flop, I'm saying they're holding off on making movies they know will be bigger hits.

After the success of No Way Home, why do you think they haven't announced a movie with tobey maguire or andrew garfield, but they're making morbius, madame web, and Kraven?
Of course I don't, but you do.

What you're saying is nonsense. The moves being on Netflix 6 months post-release affects their bottom line very little, if at all. They also released Across the Spider-Verse, which they knew would be a banger.

Sony is holding off on movies because they know they can get a lot more money from Spider-Man using their Marvel partnership. Marvel on the other hand doesn't give two flying fucks about Morbius and Madame Web.

Movies don't only make money from box office. All of these movies are part of the Netflix 5 year deal, for which they've already been paid handsomely.
I didn't say they didn't.

Spider-Verse is already part of the contract, which was signed before the the success of no way home.

When Spider-Man 4 and/or Amazing Spider-Man 3 are announced to release summer 2026 and beyond, you'll know that I was right.
I'm aware. The Netflix deal was also signed 3 years after the release of Into the Spider-Verse.

And if you're right, you're right, I'll sleep at night just the same.