Sony plans to bring PS+ to PC, browser, mobile and TVs

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This was there 2014 strategy! A lot of what Xbox is currently doing was just ripped off of PlayStation. So no this isn’t Xbox lite this is just ps reviving and refining an older strategy Xbox copied and Phil 🤡ass Spencer gets praised for.
Sony had the tech back then, it just took a decade for the infrastructure to catch up.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I doubt this ever comes to fruition, I think Sony realizes it's best to keep thier ecosystem locked down to their consoles. Only mistake they really made was cutting PS4 production, next gen they need to keep making PS5 and position it as the most cost effective way to enter their ecosystem. Steam has like 150mil may, Sony can have the same, easily.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Who said anything about day and date. I guys need to stop putting that kind of energy out there. Not a single ps or Sony exec have ever suggested anything but their gaas games will be day and date. Day and date has destroyed the Xbox console business. The only way ps would do it is if the pc business grew to such an extent that it could off set the list of ps hardware sales.
I know I was just saying but if they aren’t going day & date & or if these ports where short term avenues to gain extra profit during the shortages till they establish themselves in live service they need to make it clear because people will & are slowly stopping buying these 1st party games on PS waiting because they think those games & all future games will hit PC. There’s already talks on GOT, Demon Slayer, GOW Ragnarok, SM2 going to PC ain’t no point on buying those games or suggesting a friend to buy a PS. Even now rumors of older games from PS3 & PS4 going to PC but that is most likely cope from Xbox players after MS CEO & Xbox CFO has said of a change strategy & releasing of games on PS & Nintendo

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I know I was just saying but if they aren’t going day & date & or if these ports where short term avenues to gain extra profit during the shortages till they establish themselves in live service they need to make it clear because people will & are slowly stopping buying these 1st party games on PS waiting because they think those games & all future games will hit PC. There’s already talks on GOT, Demon Slayer, GOW Ragnarok, SM2 going to PC ain’t no point on buying those games or suggesting a friend to buy a PS. Even now rumors of older games from PS3 & PS4 going to PC but that is most likely cope from Xbox players after MS CEO & Xbox CFO has said of a change strategy & releasing of games on PS & Nintendo
Yes, who would drop $500 on a PS5 when they could spend $2000 to build a PC to play the exact same games, but with performance issues and all the bullshit Windows brings into the picture!

Congrats on the shit take of the day!

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
This can be implemented in-game on the games they have in Steam and Epic. But yes, I assume they'll implement them for the games sold on their own PC PSN store (no launcher needed to do so, but I assume they'll create a launcher to integrate all their PC apps, both games and remote play/cloud gaming.
https://www.eurogamer.net/looks-like-playstation-trophies-are-on-the-way-for-pc-players

Here they basically say something we knew since 2013 and that in 2019 said they were planning to release it this generation: they plan to release clients of their cloud gaming service on smartphones, tablets and smart tvs.

Other than that, for PC (which already has the cloud gaming client) they question if PS+ in PC could help expand their market (I think they mean amount of PS+ subbers) and be a major engagement driver for their PC PS Studios live service games.

Meaning, they are wondering what else can they add other than cloud gaming in PS+ for PC gamers that would help their live service games. I understand it means they may add PC games (mostly live service games) in PS+, plus maybe something else as could be to include their season/battle passes in PS+ Premium and/or maybe some early unlocks.

Yoshida didn't say anything new, he said they will continue focusing on PlayStation and also expanding on PC, mobile and cloud. So the same strategy they have since before Jim Ryan became CEO. He didn't say anything about a PC launcher.

Some of their games will never be published in PC. They will only on PC release day and date some of their MP focused GaaS, and the other games will continue to be ported around 2 or more years after their original release on PS. As we saw TLOU1 being released 10 years after its original release.
Don't do this. It is super disingenuous. Tlou1 part 1 on PC isnt a 10 year old PS3 port, or even a port of the PS4 Remaster, it's a port of a recently released PS5 Remake. The PS-PC release window only counts between TLOU P1's PS and PC release dates.

Furthermore, TLOU P1 is less than/different than the older releases, as it's missing the MP but has AI/particle improvements. Seems ultimately messy, if not just wrong, to include older versions of TLOU1 in discussions about PC direction, or PC release windows.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Don't do this. It is super disingenuous. Tlou1 part 1 on PC isnt a 10 year old PS3 port, or even a port of the PS4 Remaster, it's a port of a recently released PS5 Remake. The PS-PC release window only counts between TLOU P1's PS and PC release dates.

Furthermore, TLOU P1 is less than/different than the older releases, as it's missing the MP but has AI/particle improvements. Seems ultimately messy, if not just wrong, to include older versions of TLOU1 in discussions about PC direction, or PC release windows.
Yes, it's a port of a remake of a remaster of a game released 10 years ago. Exactly the same game looking a bit better and without its multiplayer mode. A better looking incomplete version of a 10 years old game.

TLOU2 Remastered isn't even that, it looks almost exactly the same in my 1080p tv as the original game released 3 years and a half ago and adds 60fps, some extras but at least includes a nice new game mode.

They are the same games but refurbished to rerelease them and make extra money.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Yes, who would drop $500 on a PS5 when they could spend $2000 to build a PC to play the exact same games, but with performance issues and all the bullshit Windows brings into the picture!

Congrats on the shit take of the day!
Shit take of the day? That seems like your take

More people then ever are jumping from console to PC & more younger people want a PC then a console then ever before. You don’t need to spend 2000$ for a good PC more around 1000$ to 1500$ but yes why pay 500$ for a console that only play a specific platform games & 3rd party when you can spend 2x to 3x as much & get to play PS & Xbox games & 3rd party & the exclusive PC that don’t go to consoles, technically you can even play Nintendo games on PC unlike consoles. Underestimating PC cannibalism against consoles when we have data that Xbox sells collapse when they went day 1 PC, they’ll probably won’t even sell more consoles then Xbox one even w Zenimax & ABK “exclusive” games

I play on PS consoles but Sony decision to release games 1-2 years later is making me wonder why not build a PC to play both PS & Xbox games w 3rd party & the PC exclusive then just buying a PS6 for 500$ for PS & 3rd party games I would’ve had already spent 1000$ for both consoles. Seems like the future will be PC & Nintendo it’s unfortunate PS is seemily following Xbox which has turn there console a dead platform

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Would be great for our cabin up north but my hotspot connection is pretty crap ☹️ The only internet is $100 a month and it’s 5mb. We are too far in the middle of no where to get good internet.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
for the PC launcher with Trophies "PSPC" :sick:
https://www.eurogamer.net/looks-like-playstation-trophies-are-on-the-way-for-pc-players

for the PS Plus expansion, in the Insomniac leaks

image-74-604x1024.png

Kenichiro Yoshida saying November last year they'll expand to Mobile, PC and Cloud

This man is the biggest threat to the PlayStation brand and with Jim leaving in 3 months, it will only get worse.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
There's some great details about PlayStation's strategy in an interview with Sony's CEO by Norges Investment Bank:
“It will be ubiquitous,” Yoshida said. “Wherever there is computing, users will be able to play their favorite games seamlessly. Why PlayStation will remain our core product [is] we will expand our gaming experiences to PC, mobile, and cloud

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Shit take of the day? That seems like your take

More people then ever are jumping from console to PC & more younger people want a PC then a console then ever before. You don’t need to spend 2000$ for a good PC more around 1000$ to 1500$ but yes why pay 500$ for a console that only play a specific platform games & 3rd party when you can spend 2x to 3x as much & get to play PS & Xbox games & 3rd party & the exclusive PC that don’t go to consoles, technically you can even play Nintendo games on PC unlike consoles. Underestimating PC cannibalism against consoles when we have data that Xbox sells collapse when they went day 1 PC, they’ll probably won’t even sell more consoles then Xbox one even w Zenimax & ABK “exclusive” games

I play on PS consoles but Sony decision to release games 1-2 years later is making me wonder why not build a PC to play both PS & Xbox games w 3rd party & the PC exclusive then just buying a PS6 for 500$ for PS & 3rd party games I would’ve had already spent 1000$ for both consoles. Seems like the future will be PC & Nintendo it’s unfortunate PS is seemily following Xbox which has turn there console a dead platform
Ah yes, the idiotic “A PC is cheaper than buying all the consoles!” PCHR talking point. Way to double down on a shitty take, you’re REALLY convincing me!

24 Jun 2022
There's some great details about PlayStation's strategy in an interview with Sony's CEO by Norges Investment Bank:

Yeah until I see what they mean, he isn't instilling a lot of good confidence in me that console will remain the priority the way it obviously should. Talk is cheap; action is what counts.

Phil Spencer did a lot of sweet talking to Xbox console owners last year and look where that got them. I'm hoping what's going on at SIE right now isn't a situation where Jim Ryan & Connie Booth were the Don Mattrick/J Allard types getting squeezed out, and whoever takes over is their Phil Spencer equivalent. The brand will be in a world of hurt if that comes to fruition, so I'm very much hoping it doesn't.

Ideally, until they get a PC launcher/storefront going themselves (which would be many years away), that platform should only be prioritized for some GaaS titles and remastered ports (individual & collection) of legacy titles at least one generation older than the current console available, excusing cross-gen titles which should remain exclusive to the console unless they're a GaaS that makes sense on PC.

Mobile should focus on specific spinoffs with PlayStation IP developed for the market that can act as extensions for the main games, like what Nintendo's been doing. However some mobile games can be more traditional-type titles with crossover appeal onto the console platform, getting simultaneous releases on both as AA-type traditional titles. Think games like Fantasia on Apple Arcade.

Cloud should basically focus on streaming of current games and leveraging cloud-based compute for enhancing various GaaS and traditional games, i.e the texture streaming feature in Flight Simulator.

If the current leadership at SIE have any common sense, this should be the approach. The vagueness of responses in some of these interviews combined with lack of specific details on future software strategy from 1P gives reason to pause, however. We'll see, but I'm hoping for the best.

Reactions: Danja1187

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Welp the new ceo is still on the pc train. Playstation will continue selling lots of hardware as xbox is out of the running, but see its profits slip as more and more users start buying their games on PC and away from sony's ecosystem. Games like Palworld have shown you don't even need consoles to become a big hit, while PC is just continually growing in markets like asia.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Welp the new ceo is still on the pc train. Playstation will continue selling lots of hardware as xbox is out of the running, but see its profits slip as more and more users start buying their games on PC and away from sony's ecosystem. Games like Palworld have shown you don't even need consoles to become a big hit, while PC is just continually growing in markets like asia.
And this CEO is so clueless about the games industry overall. A race to the bottom. You think they'd realize what's happening to Xbox and press the brakes. Nah, let's further step on the gas and see if we can beat Microsoft to the edge of the cliff.

• Surprised
Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yea and it's unambiguously good for Playstation to fully exploit that global user base.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Yes, they plan to release PS cloud gaming on smartphones, tablets and smart tvs this generation and already is available on PC. So you'll be able to play their games seaminglessly everywhere (excluding rival consoles unless maybe done via web browser).

And this CEO is so clueless about the games industry overall. A race to the bottom. You think they'd realize what's happening to Xbox and press the brakes. Nah, let's further step on the gas and see if we can beat Microsoft to the edge of the cliff.
This CEO isn't clueless about gaming, the opposite: he's the most successful CEO of a console maker in gaming history.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
we saw in the Insomniac leaks and in Kenichiro Yoshida's recent comments on the future of the brand that they're going to put PlayStation Plus on PC, Mobile and Smart TVs, so basically what Microsoft is currently doing with Xbox, but here is the thing, if Sony executes this vision with intelligence it won't hurt their console sales as much as you think it will, so let's suppose they release PS Plus on Mobile, Smart TVs and PC tomorrow, first party games are NEVER going day and date to PS Plus due to the insanely high costs of developing them and Sony not being able to afford putting them on the service on release, so you won't be able to play God Of War Ragnarok (2022 title), Gran Turismo 7 (2022), Spiderman 2, titles like Wolverine, Ghost Of Tsushima 2, Horizon 3 and etc on these platforms (Smart TVs, Mobile, PC), eventually, after 24 months, the game will come to the subscription service and the PC with a native port, but all the hype of the game on release is going to be directed straight into the console and is going to generate console sales
PS-Games-for-PC-header.jpg

because not everyone is going to wait 2 years, 2 christmas, 2 birthdays, 2 entire years of their lifes to play a game, the vast majority of people that are excited to play a future game like Spiderman 3 are going to buy a PlayStation and play the game either on release, or close to it, so i don't see how this is going to diminish PlayStation console sales, we're seeing quite the opposite, despite porting basically every PS5 game to PC after 24 months, PS5 is tracking ahead of the PS4 on sales, in fact, PS5 might end up being PlayStation's best selling console since the PS2 when it's all said and done, we need to stop the notion that just because Only On PlayStation is now gone that the console is doomed, Sony is not dumb, they invested money on research to see if it was going to destroy their core business before starting to port their games to PC, be sure of that, and what they saw is that it won't make significant difference if they execute it with intelligence, no day and date games on PC and PS Plus
imagick_convert.php

it's time for us PlayStation console players to stop thinking of it as a bad thing and start viewing the positive things about a more opened platform ecosystem, because is not going away no matter how much we hate the idea, you'll be able to take your games with you on the go, play them on your phone through cloud, play them on your gaming laptop on vacation (if you have one), play them on your console, it's gonna be a more varied experience and i don't view that as a bad thing anymore, as long as i, as the console player that invested 500 dollars on the box, continues to be benefited and treated as a first class citizen with games being avaliable 2 years early for me to play
maxresdefault.jpg

what are y'all guys thoughts on the future of PlayStation?

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
because not everyone is going to wait 2 years, 2 christmas, 2 birthdays, 2 entire years of their lifes to play a game, the vast majority of people that are excited to play a future game like Spiderman 3 are going to buy a PlayStation and play the game either on release, or close to it, so i don't see how this is going to diminish PlayStation console sales, we're seeing quite the opposite, despite porting basically every PS5 game to PC after 24 months, PS5 is tracking ahead of the PS4 on sales, in fact, PS5 might end up being PlayStation's best selling console since the PS2 when it's all said and done, we need to stop the notion that just because Only On PlayStation is now gone that the console is doomed, Sony is not dumb, they invested money on research to see if it was going to destroy their core business before starting to port their games to PC, be sure of that, and what they saw is that it won't make significant difference if they execute it with intelligence, no day and date games on PC and PS Plus
People keep repeating this, "ps5 is selling well, which means pc ports aren't affecting sales!"....as if Xbox isn't in the worst position its ever been in? Why do you guys never take that into account? PS5 is doing well for 2 reasons, because the PS4 was great and because Xbox is awful! PC is definitely still impacting it's performance. If you're an Xbox gamer from last gen and don't want another Xbox, your choices are either a PS5 or a PC. You see that PC already has Xbox games and Xbox GamePass, and you see that Sony is now putting their 1st party games on PC, for a lot of gamers, that prospect is much more enticing than getting a PS5. Because Xbox games aren't really good on their own, so them being on PC isn't a big deal, but if you can have both Xbox and PlayStation games, as well as 3rd party, then it kinda becomes a no brainer. PC is only becoming more popular with each year and the handheld PC market is evolving quickly. People won't mind waiting 2 years if it means they just need to own 1 machine.
it's time for us PlayStation console players to stop thinking of it as a bad thing and start viewing the positive things about a more opened platform ecosystem, because is not going away no matter how much we hate the idea, you'll be able to take your games with you on the go, play them on your phone through cloud, play them on your gaming laptop on vacation (if you have one), play them on your console, it's gonna be a more varied experience and i don't view that as a bad thing anymore, as long as i, as the console player that invested 500 dollars on the box, continues to be benefited and treated as a first class citizen with games being avaliable 2 years early for me to play
Kinda hard not to think of it as a bad thing when we saw how "Play Anywhere" has killed Xbox..... It's objectively a bad thing, more platforms = longer and more complicated dev times = less games and lower quality games. Xbox games take forever to release and they always come out bad to average at best. Hellblade 2 was first announced in 2019 and it's finally releasing in 2024....Everwild and Perfect Dark were announced almost 4 years ago and still no updates with both supposedly being in development hell. I'm not saying it's all due to PC, of course they have incompetent management, but if they only had to develop for Series X and nothing else, then those games would 100% be out much quicker. And you're crazy if you think it'll always be a 2 year wait, the deeper they go into PC, the more likely day/date is. And that'll add in a whole host of problems, Sony games are already releasing much buggier than they were last gen, and that's with delayed ports, imagine day/date? 90% of games these days are so unoptimized, developing for multiple platforms is not easy.

And lastly, with Xbox gone, what is the point of putting games on PC at all? Imagine having PS5/PC exclusives....when the only platforms are PS5/PC? 😂😂😂 If it's not completely exclusive, don't even bother. At that point, PC will have everything, Valve would have total market share of every game except Nintendo. A few million game sales is worth risking your market share and development pipelines? 😂 That's the most short sighted thinking ever....

what are y'all guys thoughts on the future of PlayStation?
Somewhat optimistic because they still have the best studios, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony ruins everything. They almost did with the aggressive gaas push (which I was also against)....glad they course corrected on that, now they need to do the same with PC. Giving your biggest and only competitor your GOTY caliber games is pure stupidity and jeopardizes the company's' future.