Sony plans to bring PS+ to PC, browser, mobile and TVs

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
If they go Day & Date then Sony can say bye bye to PS ever selling 100 million consoles if we take Xbox cannibalism when they did Day & Date. Even the delay PC releases it will have negative effects long term I suspect PS5 will outsell PS4 slightly but won’t sell more then Switch 1 & or any future Nintendo console due to them releasing there exclusive to PC (ofc I’m assuming Nintendo will continue to operate as usual) & the Switch 2 will outsell Switch 1 with an increase console sales trajectory long term as Nintendo doubles down consoles & continue to push the model “if you want to play a Nintendo game buy a Nintendo console”

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
for the PC launcher with Trophies "PSPC" :sick:
https://www.eurogamer.net/looks-like-playstation-trophies-are-on-the-way-for-pc-players

for the PS Plus expansion, in the Insomniac leaks

image-74-604x1024.png

Kenichiro Yoshida saying November last year they'll expand to Mobile, PC and Cloud

I don't think that this is about being upset, but more of a worry that this is very likely to change the nature of the PS platform.

Games will no longer be developed to entice people to buy into the console hw. That seems to be a dilution of the product.

I have a PC and I hate this idea, sadly I saw that coming a while ago.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
If they go Day & Date then Sony can say bye bye to PS ever selling 100 million consoles if we take Xbox cannibalism when they did Day & Date. Even the delay PC releases it will have negative effects long term I suspect PS5 will outsell PS4 slightly but won’t sell more then Switch 1 & or any future Nintendo console due to them releasing there exclusive to PC (ofc I’m assuming Nintendo will continue to operate as usual) & the Switch 2 will outsell Switch 1 with an increase console sales trajectory long term as Nintendo doubles down consoles & continue to push the model “if you want to play a Nintendo game buy a Nintendo console”
Who said anything about day and date. I guys need to stop putting that kind of energy out there. Not a single ps or Sony exec have ever suggested anything but their gaas games will be day and date. Day and date has destroyed the Xbox console business. The only way ps would do it is if the pc business grew to such an extent that it could off set the list of ps hardware sales.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
What's the point of a pc launcher when these guys dont even buy the games on steam? They hate using any other launchers other than steam. Pointless move.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flaccidsnake

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Very Xbox lite of them. They should’ve made a PS + launcher for PC before they started giving away their PC games.
This was there 2014 strategy! A lot of what Xbox is currently doing was just ripped off of PlayStation. So no this isn’t Xbox lite this is just ps reviving and refining an older strategy Xbox copied and Phil 🤡ass Spencer gets praised for.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This can be implemented in-game on the games they have in Steam and Epic. But yes, I assume they'll implement them for the games sold on their own PC PSN store (no launcher needed to do so, but I assume they'll create a launcher to integrate all their PC apps, both games and remote play/cloud gaming.
https://www.eurogamer.net/looks-like-playstation-trophies-are-on-the-way-for-pc-players
for the PS Plus expansion, in the Insomniac leaks

image-74-604x1024.png
Here they basically say something we knew since 2013 and that in 2019 said they were planning to release it this generation: they plan to release clients of their cloud gaming service on smartphones, tablets and smart tvs.

Other than that, for PC (which already has the cloud gaming client) they question if PS+ in PC could help expand their market (I think they mean amount of PS+ subbers) and be a major engagement driver for their PC PS Studios live service games.

Meaning, they are wondering what else can they add other than cloud gaming in PS+ for PC gamers that would help their live service games. I understand it means they may add PC games (mostly live service games) in PS+, plus maybe something else as could be to include their season/battle passes in PS+ Premium and/or maybe some early unlocks.

Kenichiro Yoshida saying November last year they'll expand to Mobile, PC and Cloud

Yoshida didn't say anything new, he said they will continue focusing on PlayStation and also expanding on PC, mobile and cloud. So the same strategy they have since before Jim Ryan became CEO. He didn't say anything about a PC launcher.

If they go Day & Date
Some of their games will never be published in PC. They will only on PC release day and date some of their MP focused GaaS, and the other games will continue to be ported around 2 or more years after their original release on PS. As we saw TLOU1 being released 10 years after its original release.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Hmm I'm not sure that it means they will make their own launcher but maybe just for trophy support.

They already sell very little on pc and if they sold games through their own store, I think they'd sell even less. Even if margins would be a bit higher.

But this is massive risk to their main I come on the PlayStation console and really annoys me as a playstation fan.

The argument was that pc ports would fund even more games and we would have so many exclusives but instead ports have become more common than new exclusives for ps5.

We seem to have less new exclusives overall, especially single player ones.

So I have not been happy tbh and I've been playing less.
Honestly, some of your posts come off as the PlayStation equivalent of Senjutsu Sage.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bryank75

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This was there 2014 strategy! A lot of what Xbox is currently doing was just ripped off of PlayStation. So no this isn’t Xbox lite this is just ps reviving and refining an older strategy Xbox copied and Phil 🤡ass Spencer gets praised for.
Very true as things such as psnow were on televisions years ago thy just removed it after a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Very true as things such as psnow was on televisions years ago thy just removed it after a few years.
Some details and receipts for people who doesn't know it:

Playstation Meeting 2013 (February 2013), then event where they announced PS4 they announced their PlayStation cloud gaming first info bits after acquiring Gaikai a year before, where mentioned plans to put PS3 games and somewhere in the future games from all PS generations "in any device":

Later in E3 2013, just after announced their deal for Destiny with Bungie and Activision, mentioned more specifically their long term vision to implement PS cloud gaming not only in PS but also "a range of devices" (showing a picture with phones and tablets):

image.png

Then in January Andrew House (Jim Ryan predecessor) announced PlayStation Now in CES 2014 mentioning that the long term vision of PS cloud gaming was also to introduce PS to non console owners in platforms as smart tvs, tablets or smartphones:
image.png

So yes, this was in Sony's plans since over 10 years ago. They almost achieved their long term vision, will be ready soon once they release PS+ cloud gaming on (modern) tablets, smartphones and smart tvs.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Some details and receipts for people who doesn't know it:

Playstation Meeting 2013 (February 2013), then event where they announced PS4 they announced their PlayStation cloud gaming first info bits after acquiring Gaikai a year before, where mentioned plans to put PS3 games and somewhere in the future games from all PS generations "in any device":

Later in E3 2013, just after announced their deal for Destiny with Bungie and Activision, mentioned more specifically their long term vision to implement PS cloud gaming not only in PS but also "a range of devices" (showing a picture with phones and tablets):

image.png

Then in January Andrew House (Jim Ryan predecessor) announced PlayStation Now in CES 2014 mentioning that the long term vision of PS cloud gaming was also to introduce PS to non console owners in platforms as smart tvs, tablets or smartphones:
image.png

So yes, this was in Sony's plans since over 10 years ago. They almost achieved their long term vision, will be ready soon once they release PS+ cloud gaming on (modern) tablets, smartphones and smart tvs.
Thanks. Very good info. I think some ppl are either really young or new gamers and may not know some of this and thy go on thinking Microsoft started this strategy. Most things Sony pioneered Xbox came and copied later on somehow.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'd rather have them digging deeper into their back catalog for PC ports. Specially ones that can't be played on PS4/5 or have no performance/resolution patches on console.

That way it will also add value for console players. But Sony seems too invested in this idea that to bring a game back, it has to be a full fat remake or nothing...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
A new Playstation launcher on PC would be a blunder and a step backward. I question whether PS has a PC catalog worthy of a subscription, but they could develop it like @Systemshock2023 said. They would also need to commit to day and date first party PC ports. Either way, any PS subscription would have to be delivered within Steam or it is DoA.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
A launcher or subscription would bomb like crazy. Also, Sony games are not made with subscription in mind. In a few months you can beat lots of games and never sub again.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
A new Playstation launcher on PC would be a blunder and a step backward. I question whether PS has a PC catalog worthy of a subscription, but they could develop it like @Systemshock2023 said. They would also need to commit to day and date first party PC ports. Either way, any PS subscription would have to be delivered within Steam or it is DoA.
The only Sony games that will be day one on PC will be most of their MP only GaaS, specially if F2P. Because due to their nature these games need an audience as big as possible at launch.

Their other games, if ever get ported to PC (it's better for them to don't port them all and keep the amount of PC ports per year lower than the new PS5 only games per year) is better for them to release them years later (around 2 is enough for what we saw) to don't negatively affect their main business, which is their console (and particularly to sell 3rd party games for it). 1st party games are a small portion of their business.

They'll need some time to build a PC catalog big enough to build their own store. Once they have it they'll have to grow its userbase offering exclusive perks not available in Steam, like being allowed to stream the games you buy, having crossbuy/crossave/etc with PS and so on and having a single store and ecosystem for PS+PC+mobile.

And once their store is big enough, they should stop releasing their games on Steam. Their subscription never should be in Steam. For Sony's interest, Sony must get 100% of the revenue from their games and services.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The only Sony games that will be day one on PC will be most of their MP only GaaS, specially if F2P. Because due to their nature these games need an audience as big as possible at launch.

Their other games, if ever get ported to PC (it's better for them to don't port them all and keep the amount of PC ports per year lower than the new PS5 only games per year) is better for them to release them years later (around 2 is enough for what we saw) to don't negatively affect their main business, which is their console (and particularly to sell 3rd party games for it). 1st party games are a small portion of their business.

They'll need some time to build a PC catalog big enough to build their own store. Once they have it they'll have to grow its userbase offering exclusive perks not available in Steam, like being allowed to stream the games you buy, having crossbuy/crossave/etc with PS and so on and having a single store and ecosystem for PS+PC+mobile.

And once their store is big enough, they should stop releasing their games on Steam. Their subscription never should be in Steam. For Sony's interest, Sony must get 100% of the revenue from their games and services.
They'd be no better than Epic if they did this.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty