Sony releases PlayStation Accessories PC App

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Only Ratchet was great. And this one is smallest title.

Don't forget that it also had it's fair share of bugs, as can be seen both from the release notes and posts from when it launched:

People tend to forget, but Days Gone was massacred by the critics because it was a PlayStation game full of bugs at launch. People were not used to it from PS Studios. Now it's become common, so people just find excuses or - even worse - see it as "normal".

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
I read the entire article they linked and I'm still not sure I have an answer to this: Is the DualSense now full-featured when connecting to a PC wirelessly?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Horizon had 60fps mode broken and full of bugs, the same with Returnal.
People has such short memory.

You missed that GT7 is still an exclusive so obviously it's in better condition.

Returnal had issues at launch? I don’t recall.
People are a bit too picky nowadays on technical side of things thanks to df Inwould think

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I read the entire article they linked and I'm still not sure I have an answer to this: Is the DualSense now full-featured when connecting to a PC wirelessly?
it is not. i don't get full haptics or the variable tension trigger functions on pc.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Returnal had issues at launch? I don’t recall.
People are a bit too picky nowadays on technical side of things thanks to df Inwould think
How it is to be a piky when you can't progress the story because of bugs? It had share of bugs and glitches 3months after release. Trophies bugged etc.
I don't mind is AI a bit fucked up, or some item floating, but when you can't progress through game, it is a problem.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Majority of those games had either more than usual bugs (Horizon), or missing stuff (Spider-Man 2, Ragnarök, no NG+ mode even though the predecessors got one), or didn't use the PS5 capabilities properly (Ragnarök loading times), or didn't look better than the cross-gen predecessor (Spidey 2).

Horizon had 60fps mode broken and full of bugs, the same with Returnal.
People has such short memory.

You missed that GT7 is still an exclusive so obviously it's in better condition.

Returnal wasnt full of bugs. I didnt have any. Had a crash when using the resurrection a few times. I never had any performance issues with God of War Ragnarok either.
Games like Horizon and God of War didnt even have a 60fps mode. Its all kinda new to some of the teams to do the performance option.

Plus I doubt PC had anything to do with it as much as I hate PC ports.
Maybe because I played Horizon 2 a few months later I came across no bugs. Played Ratchet on Launch and had no issues though

Days Gone was more broken then all of them and Drive club didnt work properly at launch lol. Not much has changed, they still have top quality

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How it is to be a piky when you can't progress the story because of bugs? It had share of bugs and glitches 3months after release. Trophies bugged etc.
I don't mind is AI a bit fucked up, or some item floating, but when you can't progress through game, it is a problem.

I had one trophy I couldnt find for ages, apart from them performance and progression didnt have any issues for me

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What you guys are talking here?

Even if you believe developing for multiple platforms drops quality… Most PS games you guys listed was not develop to multiple platforms.

It was late ported to PC that is a different thing. A later PC port will never affect quality of the original release.

Said that the cross gen development had indeed a role in quality… games developed to PS4 and PS5 probably had constrains to run on PS4 that affected PS5.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Returnal wasnt full of bugs. I didnt have any issues. I never had any performance issues with God fo War Ragnarok either.

Majority != All

Look, I love Returnal, but they had to revert a patch because they introduced save game corrupting changes. They also had some broken trophies and progression breaking bugs.

God of War cooked longer than planned due to the delays, so it was mostly bug-free. But loading times are not as good as they could be on PS5 + no NG+ at release, although they patched it in in the previous game.

Days Gone was more broken then all of them and Drive club didnt work properly at launch.

Days Gone using a "off the shelves" engine vs. custom one was already a bad sign. Maybe they already planned a PC release when opting for UE.

And yes, Drive Club didn't work properly at launch, in fact they not meeting usual SIE quality standards led to the studio closure.

Reactions: Kokoloko

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
What you guys are talking here?

Even if you believe developing for multiple platforms drops quality… Most PS games you guys listed was not develop to multiple platforms.

It was late ported to PC that is a different thing. A later PC port will never affect quality of the original release.

Said that the cross gen development had indeed a role in quality… games developed to PS4 and PS5 probably had constrains to run on PS4 that affected PS5.

It's not a matter of beliefs, it's a matter of facts. There is a reason why exclusives used to outshine 99% of multiplatform releases.

Cross-gen = multiple platforms. But cross-gen period is temporary.

Additionally, late ports doesn't mean development wasn't concurrent or engines weren't changed already to support multiple platforms.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Majority != All

Look, I love Returnal, but they had to revert a patch because they introduced save game corrupting changes. They also had some broken trophies and progression breaking bugs.

God of War cooked longer than planned due to the delays, so it was mostly bug-free. But loading times are not as good as they could be on PS5 + no NG+ at release, although they patched it in in the previous game.

Days Gone using a "off the shelves" engine vs. custom one was already a bad sign. Maybe they already planned a PC release when opting for UE.

And yes, Drive Club didn't work properly at launch, in fact they not meeting usual SIE quality standards led to the studio closure.

I remember the patches but I literally finished the game on the first day and didnt have an issue. But Im guessing people had them.

Maybe, Im hoping a PC port 2 years later doesnt effect while the game is being developed. Another reason why PC ports are trash

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I remember the patches but I literally finished the game on the first day and didnt have an issue. But Im guessing people had them.

Maybe, Im hoping a PC port 2 years later doesnt effect while the game is being developed. Another reason why PC ports are trash

The problem is, for cost efficiency they WILL consider PC from the beginning. In some way, it will always affect console players as no pub will increase development resources accordingly.

Naughty Dog have a blog article about how they will plan with PC in mind from now on. What does it tell you?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The problem is, for cost efficiency they WILL consider PC from the beginning. In some way, it will always affect console players as no pub will increase development resources accordingly.

Naughty Dog have a blog article about how they will plan with PC in mind from now on. What does it tell you?
Introducing extra platform adds one or more of these : increased costs/longer development time/bigger teams/less polished game/exposed game design etc...

At this point, i thought people already knew that, it is so basic and obvious.

Reactions: Kokoloko and arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think people ignoring this do so either in bad faith or are the kind who believes the "it's just sliders" bullshit.

I personally didnt think it effects if they arent being made at the same time. I though they are being worked on after the PS release etc

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
The only real inconvenience in a well-kept PC gaming setup is arguably shader compilation, but even that is partly dependent on how well you keep your system configured properly (just don't do anything stupid with system settings). Keep your graphics drivers updated and that becomes much less an issue.

There's nothing you can do about shader stutter. It's mainly a DX12 issue and very prevelant in Unreal Engine games. It doesn't matter what hardware you have or how well kept your PC is. It happens on every PC, even on a 7800X3D/4090 rig.

Updating your GPU drivers is actually the last thing you want to do, since every new update resets your GPU's shader cache. All compiled shaders are lost and need to be recompiled again. Meaning, stutter galore or having to wait up to an hour (and more in extreme cases) for precompilation. And even then, a stutter-free experience isn't guaranteed.

The only thing you can do is wait and hope for the developers to fix it. Some do it quickly, some do it after a year and some won't even bother.

It's a big reason why i quit PC gaming and went back to consoles. Nothing worse than spending 1.5K on gaming hardware and having to deal with this crap.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's nothing you can do about shader stutter. It's mainly a DX12 issue and very prevelant in Unreal Engine games. It doesn't matter what hardware you have or how well kept your PC is. It happens on every PC, even on a 7800X3D/4090 rig.

Updating your GPU drivers is actually the last thing you want to do, since every new update resets your GPU's shader cache. All compiled shaders are lost and need to be recompiled again. Meaning, stutter galore or having to wait up to an hour (and more in extreme cases) for precompilation. And even then, a stutter-free experience isn't guaranteed.

The only thing you can do is wait and hope for the developers to fix it. Some do it quickly, some do it after a year and some won't even bother.

It's a big reason why i quit PC gaming and went back to consoles. Nothing worse than spending 1.5K on gaming hardware and having to deal with this crap.
Shader comp shouldn't take an hour, but some games do real time caching of shaders which means the game will stutter every time a new shader is loaded, instead of doing it all beforehand.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Shader comp shouldn't take an hour, but some games do real time caching of shaders which means the game will stutter every time a new shader is loaded, instead of doing it all beforehand.

Yeah, precompilation speed depends on your CPU. But shader stutter in general is a big issue with modern PC gaming. Hopefully DX13 won't have this.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think actually neither solution is ideal imo.
Pre compile shaders do take a time before you start to play (and it will happen again everytime you change your GPU hardware ou update drivers).
Real time compilation give you shutters everytime a new shaders is required.

I think the whole ideia of shader compilation is dated... needs to be rethinked.

Console solution is not well a solution... is more a bandaid that can only be used by fixed hardware / drivers... you ship the game with shaders already compiled to the console so you never had to compile it again in the console machine.
Console fixed nature allow you to hide the issue from the players.

But even so I still think the actual shader compilation solution is very old fashion... new ideias / techs should come... of course it is not on me to think what they could do.

Reactions: SuperPotato

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
I think actually neither solution is ideal imo.
Pre compile shaders do take a time before you start to play (and it will happen again everytime you change your GPU hardware ou update drivers).
Real time compilation give you shutters everytime a new shaders is required.

I think the whole ideia of shader compilation is dated... needs to be rethinked.

Console solution is not well a solution... is more a bandaid that can only be used by fixed hardware / drivers... you ship the game with shaders already compiled to the console so you never had to compile it again in the console machine.
Console fixed nature allow you to hide the issue from the players.

But even so I still think the actual shader compilation solution is very old fashion... new ideias / techs should come... of course it is not on me to think what they could do.

Shader compilation wasn't an issue with previous Direct X versions. DX11 for example was more restrictive for developers but it took care of these things automatically. DX12 gives you much more control but the entire compilation process is now in the hands of the developers.

Kinda like IOS vs Android or Console vs PC, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz