Sony reverses position & will no longer require PSN account linking for Helldivers 2. Must take the right lessons from this fiasco.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
First thing pc players will do with stellar blade is to mod it which imo is blatant slap in the face to the devs.

I dislike those type of mods with a passion
On the top of my head, the only cases I can think of is Forza Horizon 4 and 5.
Games seemed to have sold quite well with a lot of DLC and looking at Steam reviews, well liked.

Racing goes vroom vroom I guess.

Expecting a South Korean studio to not release their game on PC is not something I'd bet against.

I'm sorry, I don't disagree too much with what you've typed but I just had difficulty staying 100% serious considering...

Y'know...

471.jpg

No I don't know. Care to explain?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
First thing pc players will do with stellar blade is to mod it which imo is blatant slap in the face to the devs.
Sony can try to prevent that, by requiring to link the game to a PSN account 😏

(I know it's not their game)

Reactions: rofif

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You need to understand that as a consumer, if issues are to arise, you wouldn't be protected because the company, officially, does not do business in your country. Let's say you lose access to your games and you want your account back or your money back. You can't get it because Sony isn't legally obliged to help you, since you broke their ToS and they don't even do business in your country. If you decide to take them to court, you lose because, again, they were never there to begin with and you broke their rules to get an account.

This isn't about Sony coming at random people who create a random account. They're not gonna check that. But they do have to cover themselves legally and it's why doing that is not allowed under their ToS. They won't enforce it but they will use it in legal matters.

So selling games in countries where PSN isn't available opens them up to legal issues. They have their asses covered but they don't want to have to spend time and money if those legal issues should arise.

A lot of you are looking at this from a very simplistic point of view. You should be looking at it from a corporate law point of view and the way companies constantly need to cover their asses, even including idiotic things in their ToS that they may NEVER enforce, but things that are there in case they need to.

If this was simply PC players don't want to create an account, it wouldn't be backtracked. The terms where there from the very first PC trailer and were constantly there on the game's page. No legal issues, no fuss. But this went beyond that precisely because it started infringing certain laws that could cause Sony a headache. At the very least, time and money spent on their legal department to combat it.

It's why I expect they'll be adding all countries to their list, just not support them with a store. That's what Nintendo does. Supports all countries with account creation but doesn't support quite a few of them with a store.

That way a person from Backwateristan can have his Steam account and a PSN account, without having to create an alternative one. No legal issues there.
there is 100000000% bigger chance that you get banned because other reasons than breaking ToS on creating account in other country. people has accounts from the beginning of the PSN creation.

even so, you can argue that you were in that country while you were creating account, which would technically would be right at the time.

even so, you can argue, that they must then enforce it on EVERY account, which would cost them hundreds of millions if not thousands of millions annually if not more.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I know and it’s infuriating that first thing what will happen is pc players disregarding artistic vision and amazing costumes and just running naked. It’s kinda offensive

I know and it’s infuriating that first thing what will happen is pc players disregarding artistic vision and amazing costumes and just running naked. It’s kinda offensive

TF? This will actually be the first made where PC modders would have to put clothes on a character. The vanilla version is pretty lewd as is.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Guess what Sony... They still hate you.

The change in direction changed nothing and most of the player loss was not from the boycott / backlash.

PlayStation leadership are clueless.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
You're agreeing with a person saying "Indie crap" and you're rocking a Zagreus avatar.
The main character of a game that is both an Indie and an Early Access game(as is its upcoming sequel).

Is it that surprising I would find it it just a little bit amusing?

Hades indie crap? it's a masterpiece. I never said that all games need to be AAA.

And I don't know about early access. I played it on Playstation when it was finished.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Thinking a bit about I realized that Sony reverting the action just tell you that they didn't learn the right lesson at all :D
Just thinking about the OP words.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

If anything, modding is a tribute to the game and its devs.

WTF? This is the gaming equivalent of religious zealotry in some countries' laws against immoral sex acts.

Why are you offended by what other people change in their own game on their own computer?
How does that affect you personally and why do you care?

i am from Lithuania, whole country created PSN accounts in different regions, and yes we could create, and no one ever got banned because of it. other multiple countries too.

It's about corporate and consumer protection laws, of which you'll never get any if you create a TOS-breaking PSN account.
It was never about being able to create accounts which anyone can in any place in the world.

You still don't get it, and at this point you never will.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
It's about corporate and consumer protection laws, of which you'll never get any if you create a TOS-breaking PSN account.
It was never about being able to create accounts which anyone can in any place in the world.

Talk Show Reaction GIF by iOne Digital

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Now PC gamers are worried about breaking TOS and creating accounts on another country? they did't have those concerns when they were using vpn in the masses to change region and buy games with lower prices on my country and turkey because they were cheaper... which ended in Steam deleting regional pricing. Oh but now they do it because they feel empathy for others? fuck off.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Inappropriate language

no wonder you left Negative Review for Helldivers 2 on Steam, you are ridiculous.

WTF? This is the gaming equivalent of religious zealotry in some countries' laws against immoral sex acts.

Why are you offended by what other people change in their own game on their own computer?
that explains a lot.

imagine, writing this, after all Helldivers 2 debacle.

Last edited by a moderator:
24 Jun 2022
Arrowhead CM
al9Hm9V.png

This statement makes PlayStation look so weak right now

That's the main thing. The brand has no strong leadership anymore. It's gone. Reversing the mandate was always going to be the right thing to do, but they could've exuded some actual strength and confidence in themselves when doing so.

Putting that statement out at the dead of night was already a sign of weakness. The wording makes it worst. There was also no sense of finality to their statement given, so even that part gives the indication they're scrambling to throw together a solution BTS. As if they had no contingencies in place.

This isn't the behavior of what's supposed to be an industry leader in the console space. This isn't the behavior of what's supposed to be a platform holder with a solid game plan going forward. This isn't the behavior of what's supposed to be a company that seems it can balance its growth ambitions without causing an onset of decline to their bread-and-butter (the console).

At this point I have no confidence in SIE and little confidence in the prosperity of PlayStation consoles in terms of realizing their true potential. I am not interested in the Showcase. I am not interested in the PS5 Pro. I am not interested in the PS6. Do these things still hold a curiosity for me? Yes. But "curiosity" and "interest" are two quite different things for me.

There is still a chance, however fleeting, that my confidence and faith in the brand's direction can be restored. I've mentioned a lot now in great detail what that would look like in an optimal scenario, so I won't be repeating it any further. Some people will try telling me "Well it's not just about you!", to which I say "No duh.".

Because while it certainly isn't just about me, just as it isn't simply about any one of us individually, asking a person to completely shut out or ignore their own self interests and preferences from the discussion is something you should save for the soulless suits.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Because while it certainly isn't just about me, just as it isn't simply about any one of us individually, asking a person to completely shut out or ignore their own self interests and preferences from the discussion is something you should save for the soulless suits.

You are just a tribalistic, egoistic fanboy. How dare you put your own interests above business decisions?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
If anything, modding is a tribute to the game and its devs.

I am talking about disrespecting unique developer art and vision for the game by just Modding it

Kyoji

22 Jun 2022

This is the reality sony will face with their core fanbase, if you cant see how this would damage operations idk what to tell you. if many transition from PS to PC this isnt growth its literally just a lateral move from one platform to another, in which case you stand to lose so much. 3rd party sales GONE, Accessory sales DOWN, PSN subscriber count (sony think they are whining and want more now.. watch what will happen) DOWN. And that will only be the beginning of the spiral.

Theres a little hyperbole in there, like most of us know that the vast majority of pc users specs dont beat out a playstation 5's but in his case, his rig does. The points about console owners paying more for less are mute right now, because he choose to drop the money into hardware (probably thousands of dollars on a rig as high end as his own) So there is definitely a trade off.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Arrowhead CM
al9Hm9V.png

This statement makes PlayStation look so weak right now
I went in the Discord and he's still there. That's unbelievable. Is he really an Arrowhead employee or that's just a volunteer for the Discord?

Sony can't do anything because they don't own them.

Reactions: Puff