Sony rumored to have 'locked down marketing rights' to GTA 6 on the PS5 and PS5 Pro

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So you're basically saying Sony should leave the back door open for Microsoft to sweep in and land a marketing deal?

You never count someone out until they're actually out. Otherwise that's just hubris that'll bite you in the ass. In any case, a marketing deal with R* for GTA6 is also a good show of force by SIE, to remind folks why they're the market leader in console gaming.
I'm not optimistic given how short sighted the current leadership is. No killer instinct.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Who cares about marketing rights for a game that’s multi platform If all Sony cares about is 3rd party timed exclusivity deals and marketing rights then it’s going to be grim
Sony has been using GTA Marketing rights to sell their consoles since 2001. There is no game Sony can produce that will ever be able to move as many PlayStation consoles as GTA V has sold for them. A Game that propelled the PS3 to topple and break the Xbox 360 NPD streak in September 2013

GTA V was the game they used to sell over 800k PS4 during Xbox One Assassin's Creed black Friday fire sale lol.

GTA V is now selling PS5's and constantly in the top 20 best selling... 11 years after release... Selling PlayStation console for 3 different generations.

No PS exclusive will move more PS5 consoles in release month like GTA 6 will.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Sony has been using GTA Marketing rights to sell their consoles since 2001. There is no game Sony can produce that will ever be able to move as many PlayStation consoles as GTA V has sold for them. A Game that propelled the PS3 to topple and break the Xbox 360 NPD streak in September 2013

GTA V was the game they used to sell over 800k PS4 during Xbox One Assassin's Creed black Friday fire sale lol.

GTA V is now selling PS5's and constantly in the top 20 best selling... 11 years after release... Selling PlayStation console for 3 different generations.

No PS exclusive will move more PS5 consoles in release month like GTA 6 will.
The only value I see in a marketing deal is a huge campaign where you advertise that the PS5 Pro is the definitive platform to play the game. You'd need to throw money at Digital Foundry to do one of their hour long videos and proclaim it to the world .

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Seriously Sony is better off investing that money in a new Jack and Daxter or Killzone

I want a new one of each but that has nothing to do with GTA marketing deal. How do you think PS4 got so succesful, COD and GTA marketing deals were huge for them

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
It's not only Xbox, next year Switch 2 is gonna launch. If someone goes into the store/webshop and sees that bundle of PS5 (Pro) with GTA6 that's mighty attractive especially for casuals with the hype around it.
My main thing is that Rockstar gets to optimise for the Pro and Sony perhaps sending XDev team to get the most out of it.

During the PS3 gen they still had bundles for 4 after Peter Moore left (and signing Agent RIP). A lot of casuals picked up the disgusting plastic PS3 one with GTA5 which in turn helped Sony overtake 360 that gen.
NS53ZWJw

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The only value I see in a marketing deal is a huge campaign where you advertise that the PS5 Pro is the definitive platform to play the game. You'd need to throw money at Digital Foundry to do one of their hour long videos and proclaim it to the world .
It's not for you to see, it's for the causals who buy the GTA and PlayStation want that audience buying their console to play it.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
They took back marketing in the PS3 era with GTA V actually. Rockstar knows their audience and GTA PS3 sold more than the Xbox 360 version as well.

Correct. My mistake.

They even had a PS3 bundle

• Shake
Reactions: Danja
31 Aug 2024
Lol as soon as the PC version of GTA 6 drops you know Digital Foundry will do a video trashing the PS5 Pro and saying how the PC versions runs and looks better