Sony say inclusion of their first party onto PS+ has had a big (negative) effect on traditional sales

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The optimum strategy to save money while playing all the game you want right now on PS5 is to have PS+ Extra (it gets discounted multiple time every year and you can still split it with someone you trust). If a game you really want to buy releases you can buy it used a month after release and then resell after you finished.

This is the type of stuff that slowly killed Xbox, the most enthusiast fans will realize they can pay a lot less and you a re left with a bunch of people that spend very little on games and casuals.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023
Imo what Sony needs to do now is what they’ve done with God of War Ragnarok and maintain the value of the product similar to what Nintendo games have done

This is the correct way of going forward

It’s going to be the biggest selling PS game and it’s also the one that has retained its value even a year after release

Reactions: Diah

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Imo what Sony needs to do now is what they’ve done with God of War Ragnarok and maintain the value of the product similar to what Nintendo games have done

This is the correct way of going forward

It’s going to be the biggest selling PS game and it’s also the one that has retained its value even a year after release
Cut to Sony releasing GoW Ragnarok on PS+ any day now.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Stupidest decision yet. I'm betting Dead Space sales have taken a nosedive too, I've subscribed to EA Play for a month to play the game, because why paying full price when you can play a game for less than 10% its value?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Better option is to control the budgets, get cheaper support studios and control the scope... Cutting any fat.

Pc ports hurt the desirability of both the game and the hardware it was originally made to help sell.

If the games are not selling hardware, their purpose is nothing. They might as well depend fully on third party and just cut cheques to get exclusivity on everything they can instead of making anything.
This is true that their 1p games used to be roughly 10 to 15 hours to play. ND's new games are in the 30s, same for all the other studio's open world games, they can bloat in the 50s (assuming you don't do side quests or grinding too much).

That probably doesn't help in scoping.... and I would not have cared for TLoU 2 to be shorter.

Reactions: Johnic

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I think people are overreacting here a bit. FW was definitely an outlier here and I have no idea why. It's like someone panicked and shoved it on there.

But all you have to do is look at Ragnarok. Still not on the service, over a year since release. Maybe Sony saw the pre-order data for FW and panicked for some reason. We'll know more once we see the sales data. They also banked on DLC selling as well.

Point is, don't panic, Sony isn't doing a MS. Despite what their shills claim and how much they spin wrong data.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think people are overreacting here a bit. FW was definitely an outlier here and I have no idea why. It's like someone panicked and shoved it on there.

But all you have to do is look at Ragnarok. Still not on the service, over a year since release. Maybe Sony saw the pre-order data for FW and panicked for some reason. We'll know more once we see the sales data. They also banked on DLC selling as well.

Point is, don;t panic, Sony isn't doing a MS. Despite what their shills claim and how much they spin wrong data.

HFW was probably a test run.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I love the options PS+’s various catalogues offer, but nothing beats liking a game so much you purchase it. Plus is great in that regard because you can try games out but I find it difficult committing to a game I barely “own”. Even digital sketches me out but it’s at least better than losing access if my PS+ subscription falls through.

Sony would be good to be more selective with their first party additions to Plus. Horizon I have no interest in playing and it being available on PS+ did not make me more inclined to try. Demon’s Souls however I played 20 minutes of and knew I wanted to purchase it. I’m probably an outlier in this.

Reactions: Diah

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023

Point is, don't panic, Sony isn't doing a MS. Despite what their shills claim and how much they spin wrong data.

Imo I think they tested something to do with adding to PS Plus then an expansion coming the month after to buy. Don’t think it worked

I think the play for them now is keep games nearly full price even on sales but provide post launch free updates which incentivise people to download again and keep playing

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Yes, SIE/PS is successful mainly due to its console business, which is their main business.

They are also being successful at the movies/tv show adaptations or PC (they said to be top 20 publisher in PC during FY22 even if they only published a few ports so far, and are generating hundreds of millions of dollars with a few ports of old games), but these are secondary business for them to get extra revenue/profit and expand their fanbase, which should benefit their console business too.

I understand, but this is why they don't port all their games and for the ones they port they wait until the games generated all their revenue possible with game sales and PS plus on console before porting them.

Most people seems to don't care if later some of the games go to pc, they apparently want to play on a console, to have the complete catalog and day one. Sony sees PC business as something to mainly reach a new subset of players who probably never would have bought/can't buy a PS or console. And I assume also a tiny % of people who double dips.
The problem is there not porting there games when sells has maxed R&C rift apart sells where flatline early due to PS+ & further killed by a PC release. R&C rift apart could’ve pushed 4 million sells on console alone if it wasn’t put on PS+ (already sold 2.7 in 1-2 years) within 5 years it probably would’ve hit 5 million lifetime then released on PC to get bonus 200K sells & then you put it on PS+ same for other games, 5 years is the timeline where sells reaches a max it’s strange Sony is flatlining there game sells & console sales so early just my opinion

24 Jun 2022
And yet you have xbots idiots like gremlinz1982 in era acting like this is not real

You think that's bad? Should've seen Vigilante Joker in the thread over these leaks, literally 3rd post, trying to act like there was no personal data involved or that the leak wasn't literal blackmail/extortion by a ransomware group. All because several outlets were (rightfully) wanting to acknowledge where the leak was coming from and the sensitive nature involved.

All so that he could feel comfortable talking about it (and, as usual, trash on PlayStation multiple times with specific info leaked out, some of which might even be outdated).

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Yes, SIE/PS is successful mainly due to its console business, which is their main business.

They are also being successful at the movies/tv show adaptations or PC (they said to be top 20 publisher in PC during FY22 even if they only published a few ports so far, and are generating hundreds of millions of dollars with a few ports of old games), but these are secondary business for them to get extra revenue/profit and expand their fanbase, which should benefit their console business too.

I understand, but this is why they don't port all their games and for the ones they port they wait until the games generated all their revenue possible with game sales and PS plus on console before porting them.

Most people seems to don't care if later some of the games go to pc, they apparently want to play on a console, to have the complete catalog and day one. Sony sees PC business as something to mainly reach a new subset of players who probably never would have bought/can't buy a PS or console. And I assume also a tiny % of people who double dips.
While I agree PC business is to reach a new subset releasing there big games 1 to 2 years to PC seems way to soon from someone who mainly plays on PS im even questioning if I should buy a PS6 when I can wait 1 to 2 years for PC releases which is not a long time. If they ported there games 5 years later I wouldn’t wait nor I would be questioning if i should stick to the PS ecosystem & question if I’ll buy a PS6 (I feel this will become more noticeable as Nintendo consoles gets inline in power w Xbox & PS & the gap gets smaller & smaller). I know I’m going to buy Switch 2 & Switch 3 because those games aren’t going to PC & if Switch 2 gets more 3rd party I would say spending more money on Nintendo ecosystem seems better because long term I might not even be on the PS ecosystem if they continue & get close w PC. Just from a consumer & business standpoint I question Sony strategy to follow Xbox, Xbox strategy to release games on PC has made there console obsolete not even a big game like starfield had a major push in console sales Xbox console in ways are imploding everywhere other then US & even US overall it’s selling slower then Xbox one somehow even w Zenimax.

As a whole for MS gaming strategy releasing game day 1 on PC (& even PS & Nintendo) makes sense when MS has a “monopoly” on PC OP w windows + MS is a Cloud leader a heavy emphasis on hardware doesn’t really inline w MS company “everywhere” model

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The problem is there not porting there games when sells has maxed R&C rift apart sells where flatline early due to PS+ & further killed by a PC release. R&C rift apart could’ve pushed 4 million sells on console alone if it wasn’t put on PS+ (already sold 2.7 in 1-2 years) within 5 years it probably would’ve hit 5 million lifetime then released on PC to get bonus 200K sells & then you put it on PS+ same for other games, 5 years is the timeline where sells reaches a max it’s strange Sony is flatlining there game sells & console sales so early just my opinion
The estimation (I assume a part of the HFW sales posted there are real sales and not estimations) posted in the OP says that -obviously- to include a game in PS+ 1 year after its release affects its sales because it was still selling. I assume Sony may have decided to do it to push subscriptions and to maximixe the sales of the HFW DLC, which maybe could compensate the lost sales by including it on PS+.

So for Rift Apart Insomniac learnt from it and dedided to don't put the game in PS+ a year after launch (and maybe a related DLC), but to do it later.

Seeing that GoW PC in this page has only $2M, when it had a great release, we kno this document is from when GoWPC was released, mid January 2022. Rift Apart was released in June 2021, so the 2.72M sales are only for its first half a year of sales aprox. Its PC version was released in July 26, 2023, so didn't have any effect in these 2.72M copies.

image.png

We have no idea of how many copies Rift Apart sold since January 2022 in PS or PC.

And we have nothing leading to think that these late PC ports have negative effects on the PS sales. In fact the PS5 versions of the sequels of games ported to PC sold better, or at least very similar. As can be seen in the OP for the HFW pre-PS plus part or seeing GoWR or Spider-Man 2 breaking sales records for any PS exclusive ever.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
You think that's bad? Should've seen Vigilante Joker in the thread over these leaks, literally 3rd post, trying to act like there was no personal data involved or that the leak wasn't literal blackmail/extortion by a ransomware group. All because several outlets were (rightfully) wanting to acknowledge where the leak was coming from and the sensitive nature involved.

All so that he could feel comfortable talking about it (and, as usual, trash on PlayStation multiple times with specific info leaked out, some of which might even be outdated).
Vixolus its doing his part too

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I wonder why they continue to release games on PS+ & PC when there’s clear negative effects. First party games should only hit PS+ after 5 years once the game reach max sells, the only games that should go to PC should be live service, F2P & mobile games. There following Xbox strategy that have killed Xbox consoles.

Wonder if the next CEO will follow suit w PC release (imo nixxes should be positioned as a Bluepoint remake/remaster studio) Nixxes should remake Infamous 1 & 2 to PS5, should easily sell 5 million if it’s a Bluepoint style remake achieving the same goal & income as the PC port without any negative effects.

This also confirms that outside GAAS games they won’t go PC day 1 unless there dumb & continue to ignore the clear flatline negative effects.
They aren’t really making a big deal of ps games on ps plus anymore they really promote the fact of 3rd stuff in psplus. Also not releasing games on pc is going to make them any money and a full remake cost way more than just a port and would take a lot longer mean while all nixxies porting work have to stop. Porting to pc isn’t just about immediate profit it’s about establishing a presence and building a community on another platform. Ppl go “oh no ps pc ports r all a failure” yeah well it’s been just a few yrs what do u expect takes time to build momentum and a presence. Microsoft has been trying for 23 yrs u guys want ps to run away just after 3?