Sony say inclusion of their first party onto PS+ has had a big (negative) effect on traditional sales

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Bullshit. Are you going to be a flathearther with maths, too?

There are two groups of PC players who don't play on console:
  • The ones who only play on PC (8%)
  • The ones who play on PC + mobile (16%)
To know the % of PC players who don't play on console you add them: 8% + 16% = 24%

This is what I said and meant. Tell me, what is wrong about this? Since when 8 + 16 isn't 24?

In addition to this, we saw the Sony late PC ports are extremely profitable, and mobile is the top grossing gaming market: why do you think they would be the group with lower ROI?

No, this would be the case if PS would cover 100% of the console market, but they only have under half of it. Sony can only cover completely this group releasing on PC or in all the rival consoles (or getting 100% of the console market, which won't happen).

Consider that Switch is the only portable console, so many players maybe had PC+Switch because (pre PC handhelds) they want a portable as secondary console. And a PS5 can't replace this.
You're wrong because Sony does not benefit from meeting the 24% where they are as much as they benefit from pulling more of them into the portion that includes a console.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You're wrong because Sony does not benefit from meeting the 24% where they are as much as they benefit from pulling more of them into the portion that includes a console.
So let's see: Sony wants to grow beyond their console and decide to start making PC ports of old games to reach new players and generate more revenue and profit.

There are three groups of PC players:
  1. A 24% of the gaming population who play on PC and not in console
  2. A 4% of the gaming population who plays on PC+console but not in mobile. Sony already reaches part of it because PS has almost half of the console market share
  3. A 15% of the gaming population who plays in pc+console+mobile
I think it's pretty clear that between the group 1 and 2 Sony benefits more from the group 1 because it's a bigger group and because they are players who don't have a PS or console.

As it's the case of countries from regions like (non-Japan) Asia and LATAM where due to different circumstances they couldn't access to consoles properly or are too overpriced, but they have decent enough gaming PCs to run AAA games. Regions Sony said want to approach, mainly via PC and mobile but also with their console.

It's easier to grow in a bigger group you didn't cover than in a smaller group you partly already covered. I don't see why I'm supposed to be wrong.

D

Deleted member 223

I read that and immediately understood, but somehow he replied to you and missed the fucking point.
He didn't miss the point, just doubling down, hence a waste of time. Btw it's worse than that figure by multiple multitudes, much worse, and getting even worse with each passing year. If anything what you can infer from that is very little, and ergo dismissive of the threat. Used to be that platform holder leadership of old understood it very well. and you didn't need no market research, just a well trained business mind, market research only helps you tailor strategies after all....... but then we got the new crop of careerist at SIE taking command hence the strategy pivot. A foolish one at that, and I guess foolish sugar coats the potential danger, - business killing foolishness - if left unchecked and not stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Yes, there's an important reason: to increase their user reach, revenue and profitability.
On the back of console sales and subscription services. Bold strategy let's see howbit pans out

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
On the back of console sales and subscription services. Bold strategy let's see howbit pans out
Console sales and subscrition services are in all time highs. In case of console unit sales instead of revenue, launch aligned PS5 is only less than 3M under their best performance ever. They also have record game sales and active userbase.

Their console business is growing, not shrinking.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Old news, but $85 million loss is insane.

Hopefully guerilla isn't paying for the xbox exec wannabe at sony who decided to do this.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
At least they learn a lesson. Shit is pretty obvious
As obvious as porting games harming maximization of games & consoles sales on PS consoles (I know many people waiting for Ragnarok & SM2 PC port & avoiding/resisting buying PS5) they’d still followed Xbox disastrous & failed strategy of bringing more profit & expanding. They’re safe ways of expanding, increasing profits & gaining market share on other platforms without devaluing or putting PS console at harm. Nintendo know this by it’s singleplayer games being permanent exclusive to consoles bending knees of all gamers to buy a Nintendo consoles to play they’re games while live service release across Nintendo Switch & Mobile. & producing small budget games w a fast release cadence

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
STOP COPYING XBOX.

Simple. Just cause they do something, doesn't mean you have to.
I think they are smart testing all waters like Thyve done pushing VR, evolution of PSplus, advancing controllers, etc... They just need to learn what works and doesn't and clearly tht wasn't going to work for them. Had tht shit added like tens of thousands subscriptions the convo right now would have been very different, I'm sure.

Reactions: Bryank75

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Console sales and subscrition services are in all time highs. In case of console unit sales instead of revenue, launch aligned PS5 is only less than 3M under their best performance ever. They also have record game sales and active userbase.

Their console business is growing, not shrinking.
I wonder why

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Some things don’t require testing…if you see someone jump off a building and break their legs, does that mean you should try it too to see if your legs might break? So dumb…. I wonder why Nintendo isn’t doing these “tests”…oh because unlike Sony, they’re smart enough to learn from other people’s mistakes. 🤦‍♂️

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Some things don’t require testing…if you see someone jump off a building and break their legs, does that mean you should try it too to see if your legs might break? So dumb…. I wonder why Nintendo isn’t doing these “tests”…oh because unlike Sony, they’re smart enough to learn from other people’s mistakes. 🤦‍♂️
They definitely never would.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Just bringing this back up! And this is why Microsoft is going third party :)
It's also something really hard to reverse. Ever since Sony put Horizon Forbidden West so quickly into PS+ I feel like any of their games could show up on PS+ any day now. It's a lot like PC port, once you open the door it's really hard to close.

Should I buy a PSVR2 to play GT7? Or will it just be ported to PC where I would be able to play it in VR with my Quest 2? That's like $500 I could save.