Sony will release Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC in July 26

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
If you're a multi-console buyer, there's little to no point in buying consoles.

£550 xbox + £500 PS5 = £1050 for hardware
£70 games at 5 a year = £350 a year
£10 (gamepass) + £10 (PSN)/month = £240 a year

If a gen lasts 5 years you're looking at £1750 in games and £1200 in subs, plus your hardware of £1050 = £4000.

Buy a £2000 PC rig, get games much cheaper, or free if you're sailing the seven seas, mods, better game support from the community, emulation and now console games. Plus it's a PC with all the extra multi-media bits that come with it.
Sure, games on pc are cheaper.... but I've not paid 70$ for 95% of my games this gen on ps5 too.
5 years is a long time for pc. You will upgrade it in this time. more than few times.
I would say, realistically you save 10-15$ on a new game getting it on pc vs ps5 physical.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

Sure, games on pc are cheaper.... but I've not paid 70$ for 95% of my games this gen on ps5 too.
5 years is a long time for pc. You will upgrade it in this time. more than few times.
I would say, realistically you save 10-15$ on a new game getting it on pc vs ps5 physical.
I agree with not paying day one prices for games, I only do it for one studio and that's Larian.

As for upgrading, I wouldn't be the typical PC gamer as upgrading often holds no interest to me. 1080p on ultra is all I need. Maybe, maybe 1440p but 4k and RT is pointless. Give me the refresh rate and I'm happy.

FWIW I've seen a half-decent rig for £750 (no monitor) which I could get down to £700 if i re-used my HDD/SSD in my current PC (GTX 970, basic I5, 32Gb DDR3 Ram). My PC works fine for all but the most recent games.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony obviously has the data, not only that: they shown it on their reports. PC ports require a very low investment and are generating them hundreds of millions of dollars, most of them profit.
Hundreds of millions? They made 250 millions but the big majority was Destiny. More than all the ports combined.

Sackboy and Returnal were so big a flop I don't think they broke even. They still have to pay the employees making these flops.

They would make a lot more money by porting the GOW collection or Ratchet collection on PS5 but that would make too much sense. Nintendo did it with Metroid Prime remastered and they sold over 1 millions.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I agree with not paying day one prices for games, I only do it for one studio and that's Larian.

As for upgrading, I wouldn't be the typical PC gamer as upgrading often holds no interest to me. 1080p on ultra is all I need. Maybe, maybe 1440p but 4k and RT is pointless. Give me the refresh rate and I'm happy.

FWIW I've seen a half-decent rig for £750 (no monitor) which I could get down to £700 if i re-used my HDD/SSD in my current PC (GTX 970, basic I5, 32Gb DDR3 Ram). My PC works fine for all but the most recent games.
4k is amazing once you realise you use it as a base and then run everything with DLSS.
you get crips 4k ui and everything and 1440p game upscaled that still looks better than 1440p. that + big tv or monitor.

As for day one prices. That's not what I meant.
Physical games are cheaper than digital on ps5 DAY 1. Maybe not at media markt but plenty of smaller retailers battle it out. 70$ start at 60$ and in reality. Same as key resellers on pc

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

JayBari is not happy either.

100% with him.

60 dollars on PC with more features.... and we were supposed to get more single player games funded yet 3 years after the ports start and looks like we get less now.
This is a really good point. We pay 70$ and pcplayers pay 60$ (or obviously less from key resellers like I mentioned) and get ton more features.
Makes you feel like a beta tester. When I finished rift apart, the vrr was not there, 40fps was not there too. I played it in 60fps rt mode.
Same with Horizon.... I played poor anti aliased version at 4k30. It also got 40hz and vrr and better anti aliasing patch AFTER I finished the game.
Returnal on pc got RT and other features not on ps5.

It's getting annoying.
I swear we will see some BS like tlou2 getting to pc and only receiving a digital patch without physical ps5 release on ps5

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
PC, the place where you can play PS5 games with more features and a lower price thanks to Sony. Only a matter of time before a PC portable becomes fast enough to run these games well, and I will be switching platforms.

With Hermens day 1 PC push with GAAS they are making sure to make Playstation second class citizens. Never thought I'd see the day Sony was going the Xbox route of devaluation.
Screenshot_20230531-074735_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230531-074805_Chrome.jpg
SEriously. This is what I am talking about in post above.
This makes me feel like a fucking idiot for putting all my bets on ps5 this gen. The game should be way cheaper by now at the very least (not counting ps+)

D

Deleted member 417

4k is amazing once you realise you use it as a base and then run everything with DLSS.
you get crips 4k ui and everything and 1440p game upscaled that still looks better than 1440p. that + big tv or monitor.

4k looks amazing. But for the extra price required to run it, I just don't think it's worth it. I am a tight arse gamer though

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
SEriously. This is what I am talking about in post above.
This makes me feel like a fucking idiot for putting all my bets on ps5 this gen. The game should be way cheaper by now at the very least (not counting ps+)
They seem to rather have people subscribing to the service than buying older games, the Gamepass way.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Hundreds of millions? They made 250 millions but the big majority was Destiny. More than all the ports combined.

Sackboy and Returnal were so big a flop I don't think they broke even. They still have to pay the employees making these flops.

They would make a lot more money by porting the GOW collection or Ratchet collection on PS5 but that would make too much sense. Nintendo did it with Metroid Prime remastered and they sold over 1 millions.
You've stumbled upon the beauty of opportunity cost. No resource is infinite, resources are finite, allocation is a choice, everything has an opportunity cost.

Opportunity cost: The loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.

BSers will tell you one alternative is the only alternative, and since we're dealing with fanboys here that alternative will obviously always be, the one chosen by their all-knowing overlords at leadership positions in these companies... pick whatever brand the fanboy shills for... in this instance, PlayStation. They're already on the backfoot trying to excuse under-performance by Sony's own set-out expectations on PC (to go along with the duds). Thus, these idiots will naturally fall back to the base argument of anything > $0 is a positive and ignore everything - that's desperation personified (out of ammo). These half-wits (because there is not a more appropriate word to describe them) will run away from opportunity cost arguments or brand positioning or competitive positioning or any potential devaluation arguments cause it's not in their favor. Thus, in the world of the half-wits there is no alternative to the current path and there is nothing wrong with the current path - fall in line, consume, and be happy. Why even have an argument and try to engange others if there is only on thing you're willing to entertain, and that is, accepting "my argument" and "submitting to it".

6 letter word: idiots. The more you highlight this very fact, the more they'll seethe behind the keyboard and beef with you to, not only protect their own self-esteem in a conscious self-defense reaction but that of the brand they shill for. They're suffering massive cognitive dissonance and it's making them angry - this is the denial phase of what's happening in their brain. Total headcases.... we got plenty here but there is one in particular who has fallen from grace hard this week. Like an unannounced freight train running him over. "Threaning to quit the forum even" - except of course after the rage subsided a bit he realized nobody gives a shit.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Not counting the GaaS titles (which were also PC but, again, understandable), yes agreed. It seems like The Snitch and other insiders were expecting R&C PC port to be announced at the showcase though.

Dunno why, but they basically said as such.

Have you not seen the Nvidia leak? Basically all of the big games since PS5's launch are scheduled for PC, and even some of the small ones (like Sackboy's Big Adventure was). I think we can take it that all the games will eventually get ported to PC at this rate if they stick to this strategy, not just some of them.

We'll also need to see longer term if the strategy has any adverse effects on PS5 sales or revenue. It's too early to say confidently that it's a good business decision. More time is needed to assess things.
This is already £22 on CDKeys. Returnal is £33.

Like you pay more for the hardware on the PC side of things, but Sony sells these games for a pittance.

Also I'm not a huge multiplayer person, but the games I am interested in are Factions (dev hell lol) and Marathon. The latter will be on PC and Xbox day one, and the former will most likely be on PC day one. And online is free too.

Sony is definitely reducing the value proposition of its console - and for what looks like relatively chump change.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Folks, games releasing on PC only make consoles irrelevant for enthusiasts. Its not normal to have 2 or 3 consoles plus a gaming rig per generation. The core market that Sony and MS target just buys a single console, a handful of games and pays for the online subscription at times, some MTX here and there and thats it. That is their core customer. Those guys, they have no idea that HZD and God of War are on PC, hell they might not even know that Mortal Kombat is on PC or that you can play with a controller on PC.

That core customer will never leave consoles. And that is why Sony knows that there is no downside to porting these legacy games to PC, except the sound of some fanboys whining at times.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That core customer will never leave consoles. And that is why Sony knows that there is no downside to porting these legacy games to PC, except the sound of some fanboys whining at times.
But enthusiasts, especially streamers will then disseminate that sentiment to their audience. Imagine if every content creator and twitch streamer like the guy with 800k followers above kept telling their followers they were going to wait for PC ports of Sony games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This "big majority was from Destiny" is baseless bullshit part of the fearmongering FUD and lies like them not making SP games etc parroted by the Sony haters who are constantly spamming Sony hate and lies in recent weeks in this forum. In any case, who cares if it's more or less Destiny 2 revenue, because Destiny is now also a Sony game.

Also, when I wrote that didn't mean only last fiscal year, I meant in general, all the years since the start until now and considering it's growing year after year at a great rate.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You've stumbled upon the beauty of opportunity cost. No resource is infinite, resources are finite, allocation is a choice, everything has an opportunity cost.

Opportunity cost: The loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.
Can you imagine the hype if they announced a GOW collection with all the games stuck on PS3 streaming? Same for Resistance, Sly Cooper and many others. It would add way more value to their ecosystem.

This "big majority was from Destiny" is baseless bullshit part of the fearmongering FUD and lies like them not making SP games etc parroted by the Sony haters who are constantly spamming in recent weeks in this forum. In any case, who cares if it's more or less Destiny 2 revenue, because Destiny is now also a Sony game.

Also, when I wrote that didn't mean only last fiscal year, I meant in general, all the years since the start until now and considering it's growing year after year at a great rate.
It said the money was from Destiny directly on the slide.

Screenshot_20230531_205325_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last season was huge for Destiny with the release of Lightfall and it was still below the $300 millions they wanted. Imagine how low the sales were. They didn't even report them besides Spider-Man because they were too low.

Anyway, I would never count Destiny money with the PC ports. It's totally unrelated. They would make it without porting anything.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Can you imagine the hype if they announced a GOW collection with all the games stuck on PS3 streaming? Same for Resistance, Sly Cooper and many others. It would add way more value to their ecosystem.

This is what Sony should be doing more often. Leverage your back catalog and stop pretending Playstation was founded when the California HQs were opened in 2016.
Port those old games as well to PS5/PC. HD era games still look stunning at 4k 60 FPS 16X AF. They can release those games on the time frames where you have no big exclusives, so you have a steady stream of content the whole year.

PS Now bombed, so for many PS5 owners these legacy games might as well be brand new releases.

Nintendo can sell you a ROM of Mario 64 for the umpteenth time. Why can't Sony sell collections of their old classics? PS1 and PS2 might be a stretch but PS3 and up should be an easy sell.

• they're_right_you_know

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is what Sony should be doing more often. Leverage your back catalog and stop pretending Playstation was founded when the California HQs were opened in 2016.
Port those old games as well to PS5/PC. HD era games still look stunning at 4k 60 FPS 16X AF. They can release those games on the time frames where you have no big exclusives, so you have a steady stream of content the whole year.

PS Now bombed, so for many PS5 owners these legacy games might as well be brand new releases.

Nintendo can sell you a ROM of Mario 64 for the umpteenth time. Why can't Sony sell collections of their old classics? PS1 and PS2 might be a stretch but PS3 and up should be an easy sell.
Nixxes and other devs are too busy making Sackboy PC port that sold max 50,000 and Returnal 100,000. Ratchet will sell 200,000 if they are lucky and it doesn't damage the brand further like TLOU did.

GOW collection would be a guaranteed 1 million sales where they keep 100% of the profit + PS Extra down the line. It would sell all gen. They chose to prioritize PC ports instead.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nixxes and other devs are too busy making Sackboy PC port that sold max 50,000 and Returnal 100,000. Ratchet will sell 200,000 if they are lucky and it doesn't damage the brand further like TLOU did.

GOW collection would be a guaranteed 1 million sales where they keep 100% of the profit + PS Extra down the line. It would sell all gen. They chose to prioritize PC ports instead.

Yeah, some of those port selections were odd. Eventually Nixxes will run out of newish games to port to PC. Ideally Sony could use them to bring all those old games to the latest platforms. I am sure there are games that they might not be able to port due to licensing issues but for the rest, its basically free money.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It said the money was from Destiny directly on the slide.

View attachment 1507

Last season was huge for Destiny with the release of Lightfall and it was still below the $300 millions they wanted. Imagine how low the sales were. They didn't even report them besides Spider-Man because they were too low.

Anyway, I would never count Destiny money with the PC ports. It's totally unrelated. They would make it without porting anything.
We know that a portion of the $250M (previously estimated to be $300M) SIE PC revenue made that FY was Destiny 2 because now is , what we don't know is how big that Destiny 2 portion was.

Destiny 2 PC revenue is included because they are reporting their PC games revenue and now that the acquisition is complete Destiny 2 is one of their PC games.

Spider-Man only made $52M out of the $250M (a 1/5 of the total), they highlighted a Spider-Man and TLOUP1 as a couple cases as examples (the biggest of the FY and the most recent of the FY), which doesn't mean that these were the only with remarkable sales. Because according to you if Destiny 2 PC made a ton of that money they'd hightlighted there.

We also have to understand that the acquisition was completed in mid July 2022 and that they started to count Bungie numbers since then, that Lightfall was released in February 2023, that this covers until March 31 2023 and that the Destiny 2 PC revenue is included here, not all the Destiny 2 revenue from all platforms.

Pretty likely the missing $50M comes from TLOUP1 being less than expected because it ended being releasing March 28th, 3 days before the end of the FY while they originally planned to release it earlier (and with less bugs). Who knows if it's also the case of Returnal, which also was released in March.

I bet these $50M were moved for that reason to the next (current) FY: games got released later than expected so revenue will come later than expected. Some lost sales could have been lost because of bugs at launch, but after fixes they could recover them or most via some extra sales when they consider it makes sense.

• haha

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Folks, games releasing on PC only make consoles irrelevant for enthusiasts. Its not normal to have 2 or 3 consoles plus a gaming rig per generation. The core market that Sony and MS target just buys a single console, a handful of games and pays for the online subscription at times, some MTX here and there and thats it. That is their core customer. Those guys, they have no idea that HZD and God of War are on PC, hell they might not even know that Mortal Kombat is on PC or that you can play with a controller on PC.

Undermining brand loyalty is possibly one of the stupidest things you can do as a business.