Sony's acquisitions and investments budget to spend during this FY2023 is only 16.9B yen (around $147M)

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, we don't have a clear picture. My advice is just to wait a bit and hopefully we will have more info after the investor relations event.
The picture is clear and explained by Sony in the data and quotes shown in the OP. Between what they spent and what they have decreased from the budget, there's only 16.9B yen (around $147M) left for the current fiscal year.

Acquisitions will continue in the mid to long term, but for the short term recent changes in the market made them be more careful with timing and valuation of the acquisitions.

Last edited:

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
How do you know that?
I don't. But Ido t believe the budget would be thatdmall. If they haven't spent heavy already. We are in q1 and last year we didn't hear of heavy spending acquisitions .So what happenedto the moneys.They obviously spent it. We just dont know where and how.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
So no Square Enix, CDPR etc. No proper reply to the Bethesda acquisition by MS?

I wouldnt care about Sony going after publishers but with MS and others buying up IPs I think its important to secure these. Either by buying them or by buying shares in certain publishers so they never miss out on classic IPs not coming to PS.

Like Bethesda and what they are trying with Activision.
If MS wasnt buying it all up, I would be happy with Sony carrying on what they were doing before.
Why do they need a response to Bethesda? That was the most garbage acquisition this generation. What did they get out of that? Hfw has outsold hifirush +deathloop+ ghost wire combined. What does zenimax have coming ? Several Indiana jones games which is a dead dated ip that couldn’t even break even in the last film. An oblivion remaster? A fallout3 remaster? Flop ass starfield? Zenimax didn’t grow gamepass, it didn’t sell consoles. It was a failure of an acquisition since the main reason for m&a is growth.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Xbox is dead, odds are in a few years all Bethesda games will be releasing on PlayStation again, just like they release on Steam now where Valve takes a 30% cut.

Right now MS is just losing money by delaying the inevitable. I guess they need to see what will happen with Starfield first.
Still won’t buy that garbage even if they do put it on os and I recommend everyone else do the same.

Reactions: Diah

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
What if I told you they already purchased the stuff they wanted. This is just numbers of now. They have already purchased stuff. Just no press releases yet.

Meme Think GIF
Yeah it’s been repeatedly suggested they purchased ballistic moon but that a small team of maybe 40-50 and they have no ip so that really wouldn’t cost much even if they did. There are probably dozens of small devs they could buy under the 200mil reporting threshold. Arrow head is a strong possibility and would be pretty cheap since they don’t really have any ip and it’s just 100 or so employees.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Why do they need a response to Bethesda? That was the most garbage acquisition this generation. What did they get out of that? Hfw has outsold hifirush +deathloop+ ghost wire combined. What does zenimax have coming ? Several Indiana jones games which is a dead dated ip that couldn’t even break even in the last film. An oblivion remaster? A fallout3 remaster? Flop ass starfield? Zenimax didn’t grow gamepass, it didn’t sell consoles. It was a failure of an acquisition since the main reason for m&a is growth.
Zenimax was a great buy. How can you possibly claim they are worse than, for instance, the studios purchased before them who have yet to produce anything at all.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I'm confused, It seems every week for the past 1-2 months Sony's "Acquisitions funds" get smaller and smaller with no real reason to explain it.
But as everyone knows it does not really matter how much they "have" to spend as if they really want to buy something they can get more in other ways.
They only have to report if they are spending at least 200mil or more. They could be spending it on stuff they know nothing about. Either the money is being allocated to small purchases still in negotiations or being set aside for purchases still being negotiated.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Zenimax was a great buy. How can you possibly claim they are worse than, for instance, the studios purchased before them who have yet to produce anything at all.
just because you are comparing to shit, doesn't mean it isn't shit too. at least those other studios, didn't cost over 8B.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because Doom, Quake, Fallout and Elder Scrolls are pretty popular series.
Just because you don’t like them doesnt mean they werent taken away from other fans

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They got a bunch of great IPs whether people like it or not. I dont care how shit Deathloop and Starfield are, the IPs they took from other people are still popular

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony just had layoffs at almost all of their first party studios and yall think theyre going to make acquisitions?

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Sony’s game plan for PlayStation is GaaS and Xbox’s is to build an exclusive library. Now as a consumer, which of these two would you prefer? Not sure if Sony will change that any time soon or if they’ll see it though. Who knows, maybe they’ll get a Fortnite level hit out of it. I’m skeptical. We really don’t know so this is all speculation.

Reactions: Diah

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Cope. Sony is down sizing.
Why would I cope, I'm not a shareholder? In fact, if they're in trouble, they have only themselves to blame. You wanna invest in BS and ignore what made you great? Go right ahead. All my complaints are justified if this is true. Hell, they overpaid for Bungie instead of investing into acquiring IPs. They got what they deserve.

Just stating a fact. Downsizing can be one of the steps preparing for an acquisition.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
if they're in trouble
They are better than ever, aren't in trouble

Sony’s game plan for PlayStation is GaaS and Xbox’s is to build an exclusive library.
Sony continues getting every year more exclusives than Microsoft. The majority of Sony games under development aren't GaaS, while most MS top IPs are, have been moved to or are moving to GaaS.

Sony is down sizing.
We only have confirmed about half a dozen, maybe a dozen fired people counting all the supposed 'layoffs' at all he Sony studios. Maybe they these layoffs are only a few people per studio, replaced by other hirings, as all big companies do every year.

If all the rumors would be true, then they'd have fired maybe around 150 people. Let's be generous and say 200. Sony has 113,000 employees. This is nothing for them.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sony just had layoffs at almost all of their first party studios and yall think theyre going to make acquisitions?
Layoffs are happening everywhere and that can be Lower level positions that's par the course and trimming the fat. Or we just going to ignore all the Financials with record revenue and profit margins lol smh.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Because Doom, Quake, Fallout and Elder Scrolls are pretty popular series.
Just because you don’t like them doesnt mean they werent taken away from other fans
Doom sales are sht, Bethesda tried to revive quake and it flopped hard, ES is hot garbage the only one that sold incredibly well by mondern mega hit standards was Skyrim which released on 9 platforms over the course of 10yrs and is still out sold by Witcher 3 which just its initial pc, ps4, xbone and switch sales. Fallout out is equally trash and the and the creation engine is a huge hinderance to both Elder scroll and fallout and whatever else garbage they make with it. Following the purchase of Bethesda there was no significant growth in gamepass it stagnated their was no mass exodus from ps no increase in Xbox console sold. 99% of the casual gaming community didn’t even realize Microsoft bought zenimax. Zenimax games are sht. HFW in one year out sold deathloop, hifirush, redfall and ghost wire combined! Wtf does ps have to be worried about from Bethesda? Ugly broken games no body even wants to play on gamepass for “free”?