Sony’s CES press conference live on January 8th (5pm PST Official Thread all news in here! 123 mil users. Gravity Rush movie preview shown.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Horizon PC announce trailer.

1703773065661.png

Sony will be exhibiting at CES® 2024, the world's largest technology event, in Las Vegas from 9 January, 2024. Sony first exhibited at CES in 1977, forty-six years ago, and since then, CES has remained an important venue for Sony to introduce its latest technologies and initiatives, as well as convey various messages to the world. At CES 2024, Sony will showcase various technologies and initiatives that support creators, based on Sony's purpose to "fill the world with emotion, through the power of creativity and technology."

"CES 2024" Sony Press Conference (online distribution)

Date and time: 8 January, 2024, 5:00pm PST (9 January, 2024, 1:00am GMT / 2:00am CET)

How to watch: Sony Square

We're sure you're curious about what will be announced at CES 2024, so for more information, please watch the live stream of the press conference on 8th January (PST) / 9th January (GMT/CET). In this blog, we would like to look back on the history of Sony at CES.

Proposing renaming CES as the "Creative Entertainment Show" in 1990​

In 1990, Akio Morita, then chairman of Sony, was the first Japanese person to provide the keynote speech at CES, an event where executives from leading companies give presentations. In his speech, Morita touched on the products that Sony had developed to date, emphasizing that the consumer electronics industry had entered an era in which new forms of entertainment were being created. He also cited the spread of movie video software and music CDs as an example, saying, "I leave it up to you whether you believe CES still means "Consumer Electronics Show". But by looking back at the past, and peeking over the horizon at the future, I believe the letters CES could be better read as, "Creative Entertainment Show." It is clear that the words "creative" and "entertainment" have been extremely important to Sony ever since then.

Morita's keynote speech at CES in 1990 Morita's keynote speech at CES in 1990
In 2019, about 30 years after Morita took the stage, current chairman and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said, "Sony is a Creative Entertainment Company". He also stated, "Working with creators, Sony's professional grade technologies support creators across the entertainment industries to produce compelling content", which would form the foundation for Sony's current Identity.

Recently, CES has been increasing its presence as a place where the world's latest technologies can be experienced, not only those from electronics manufacturers but also the automotive, semiconductor and consumer goods manufacturers, as well as various startups. Sony has also gradually changed the approach of its exhibitions, contributing to the possibilities of entertainment and making CES one of the most important venues for introducing its latest technologies and initiatives that support creators. What kind of "future cutting-edge technology" do you think will be introduced this year?

Sony's press conference at "CES 2024" will be available to watch on Sony Group Official YouTube from 8 January, 5:00pm PST (9 January, 1:00am GMT / 2:00am CET). (Archived viewing available.) In addition, "Sony Square" will gradually release video content related to on-site exhibitions. Please look forward to it!

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume this will be @Jim Ryan 's public goodbye event, not counting maybe the IR financial year end report. Let's hope he brings cookies.

Regarding gaming I assume they may announce there that PS+ cloud gaming will be released soonysh in smartphones, tablets, PS Player and smart tvs (Android TV/webOS, may announce a partnership with Samsung or LG too) and that in addition to stream the games from the sub you'll be able to stream games you bought for PS5, which they say is their fastest selling console ever again (may update sales numbers).

I think they also will show a PS5 games sizzle trailer with Spider-Man 2, GoWR Valhalla and upcoming releases (mostly already seen footage), possibly also including the gameplay reveal of Concord or the announccement of the next Uncharted game or Cory's new IP.

They may also announce or show a trailer of some upcoming movie/tv adaptation of a SIE IP, as could be GoT with the director in the stage talking about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I assume this will be @Jim Ryan 's public goodbye event, not counting maybe the IR financial year end report. Let's hope he brings cookies.
Yeah I look forward to whatever side info we get in terms of gaming. Sometimes we get a few treats.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Announce the Helldivers 2 Beta there at least since they ain't marketing this impending flop
I'm buying it day one but I'm curious to see how it fairs relative to budget. I doubt this needs to be a multimillion dollar seller to make good profit.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022

Regarding gaming I assume they may announce there that PS+ cloud gaming will be released soonysh in smartphones, tablets, PS Player and smart tvs (Android TV/webOS, may announce a partnership with Samsung or LG too) and that in addition to stream the games from the sub you'll be able to stream games you bought for PS5, which they say is their fastest selling console ever again (may update sales numbers).

I think they also will show a PS5 games sizzle trailer with Spider-Man 2, GoWR Valhalla and upcoming releases (mostly already seen footage), possibly also including the gameplay reveal of Concord or the announccement of the next Uncharted game or Cory's new IP.

They may also announce or show a trailer of some upcoming movie/tv adaptation of a SIE IP, as could be GoT with the director in the stage talking about it.
I know you will all be sad to see me go.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm buying it day one but I'm curious to see how it fairs relative to budget. I doubt this needs to be a multimillion dollar seller to make good profit.
Arrowhead has 112 people in Linkedin, and mention 100+ people in their website. They also took 8-9 years to make it, starting when they were way smaller. From where they come, probably didn't get a lot of outsourcing/support teams as other Sony games. Pretty likely the Helldivers 2 budget is way smaller than let's say HFW or Spider-Man 2.

So they'll need less units sold to turn it into a profit. Since it's GaaS, very likely will have microtransactions or season passes, so will need even less units to be profitable. Like the first one, it will also release on PC, so will be easier for them to sell enough to reach profitability.

I assume that there are big chances to see the game being profitable before the end of the current FY, and they may announce just before the FY report of may that Sony acquired them for an undisclosed amount of money (something very cheap, maybe just a few dozens of millions).

I know you will all be sad to see me go.
Yes, but I assume the successor will be someone very capable. Probably someone like Eric Lempel, Hermen Hulst or @Bryank75.

• haha
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We will get a bone, we usually do. If not some interesting numbers or something.
Yes. Normally they mention, show or announce something for gaming. But often something very small more targeted to investors or to a more wider non-gamer tech audience maybe linked to other divisions.

Things like some sales number update, showing some already announced accesory or game, or stuff like some multiplatform services, putting a PS5 in their cars or showing some SIE IP movie adaptation.

They could announce here some stuff like Bravia tvs getting a new SIE tech to improve image with the helps of the recently acquired iSize or that they signed some collaboration between PS Plus and some other sub like Crunchyroll, HBO, Spotify or something like that, like the Sony Pictures digital store.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yes. Normally they mention, show or announce something for gaming. But often something very small more targeted to investors or to a more wider non-gamer tech audience maybe linked to other divisions.

Things like some sales number update, showing some already announced accesory or game, or stuff like some multiplatform services, putting a PS5 in their cars or showing some SIE IP movie adaptation.

They could announce here some stuff like Bravia tvs getting a new SIE tech to improve image with the helps of the recently acquired iSize or that they signed some collaboration between PS Plus and some other sub like Crunchyroll, HBO, Spotify or something like that, like the Sony Pictures digital store.
Yeah thts what we are expecting lol most of us been gaming enthusiasts long enough to know not much will come from this but anything will be a nice surprise.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
new Alpha upgrade, new Bravia model, could be Xperia VI.

I expects no mention of gaming hardwares.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
No playstation stuff I guess.
I am waiting for pulse elite. Already preorderd. Never had any planar magnetic headphones, so I am quite excited

24 Jun 2022
There'll likely be a sales update for PS5 and various games here, at the very least. They may also show off the PS5 Pro tho or acknowledge its existence officially. It's a technology event, after all.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78