Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So Phil Spencer joins the stage on the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest to announce that FF XIV is coming to Xbox and people are full of doom & gloom now?

Final Fantasy XIV, a game that launched over 10 years ago. A MMORPG which greatly benefits of a larger player size. Now Xbox comes around and pays and supports the development of a port to Xbox.

What should Square Enix say on stage now? "Yeah we are happy to see Final Fantasy XIV come to Xbox, but that's about it". Of course companies always leave the door open to further cooperation.

And in this case Sony is also a party which will not sit idle here. Just one month ago on a Final Fantasy XVI event, Jim Ryan said that "the partnership with SE has never been stronger".

So people should calm down a bit. I don't see any indication that Square Enix is drifting over to Xbox with that.

Sony´s president just recently said to "prioritising intellectual property" so they will know of the value of the Final Fantasy IP for Playstation.

I can see Sony preparing for an acqusition of SE while SE simultaneously collborating with Xbox to port some of their games.

This is what I was thinking. I think their MMO's will be across all platforms, but games like FF7R, and any other remake, Dragon quest title will be a case by case basis.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
squenix_hand7yfig.gif
F2KgYiJaAAAC9jN

But Microsoft values Sega more than other platform operators, Sega said

I'm not the only one sick to my stomach by all these Japnese Devs slowly turning their backs on PlayStation right? PlayStation seems like a lonelier place this Generation. Sony needs to speak up about.

The silence is deafening!

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
squenix_hand7yfig.gif
F2KgYiJaAAAC9jN

I'm not the only one sick to my stomach by all these Japnese Devs turning their backs on PlayStation right? PlayStation seems like a lonelier place this Generation. Sony needs to speak up about.

Japanese devs have not turned their back on playstation, what on earth are you talking about?

Day by day you show that you are nothing but a troll in disguise to rile people up.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Losing Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian & Activision was massive and possibly Sega. So please forgive me for panicking

Sony needs to hurry up and drop a bombshell announcement
Dude acquiring a company of the size of a publisher is not child’s play. Gaming publishers are probably one of the most difficult tasks to accomplish. Even Phil Spencer admitted back then when they announced to acquire Zenimax, that talks started 2.5 years ago. Means Microsoft talked to Bethesda around 2017. This is not something that happens over night. And I imagine that acquiring a Japanese gaming company might involving more difficult bureaucracy. I honestly have no doubt that Sony will secure Square Enix. Sony values aside Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy a lot. No way in hell Sony would watch someone grab them.

• haha
Reactions: Arminius and Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I honestly have no doubt that Sony will secure Square Enix. Sony values aside Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy a lot. No way in hell Sony would watch someone grab them.

its too late. MS has his claws on it

Sony should’ve acquired or at leas formally invested in Square in the last 18 months

I can already imagine the news report

"Microsoft and Square Enix announce partnership to explore game development using Azure cloud infrastructure"

that's exactly how it will happen. It’s so frustrating

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Sony should’ve acquired or at leas formally invested in Square in the last 18 months

"Microsoft and Square Enix announce partnership to explore game development using Azure cloud infrastructure"

No it’s not lol. This is just your fantasy going wild. If your assertions would be in the slightest true then Square Enix would have no reason to move out their current HQ in Shinjuku. Shinjuku is home of many multi-platform developers and publishers such as Sega the most prominent example. Square Enix would never move into an expensive area of Tokyo if they really would partnering with Microsoft. Especially not this close to Sony’s door step in Minato/Shibuya.
Nah this your fantasy playing with your mind. Square Enix rejected Microsoft twice for their approach on them to buy them. I highly doubt it was because of a too low offer. Japanese publishers won’t sell to MS, even Sega rejected Microsoft twice lol.

Reactions: AngryRobotBees

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Possibly dumb question.....
Can Sony acquire small developers in China? For instance UltiZero Games or any other China Hero Project developer? Or does China have regulations against these type buyouts?

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
squenix_hand7yfig.gif
F2KgYiJaAAAC9jN

I'm not the only one sick to my stomach by all these Japnese Devs slowly turning their backs on PlayStation right? PlayStation seems like a lonelier place this Generation. Sony needs to speak up about.

It looks like PS5 is the plataform that will sell 50m and Xbox is the one going to sell 120m+ and not the other way around.

Xbox somehow controls the narrative and the direction of the game industry while being completely rejected by players.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Do you remember the narrative about Sony hiding games and that we should wait for the showcase? Sony was then hiding their hand because of the ABK deal. Now we got a showcase that sucked after 2 years of silence, the ABK deal is pretty much done and all we get it Sony promoting Goodbye Volcano High as one of their next big games.

Most folks here believe Sony to be infallible, despite all the evidence of the contrary.

Reactions: Arminius and Puff

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Do you remember the narrative about Sony hiding games and that we should wait for the showcase? Sony was then hiding their hand because of the ABK deal. Now we got a showcase that sucked after 2 years of silence, the ABK deal is pretty much done and all we get it Sony promoting Goodbye Volcano High as one of their next big games.

Most folks here believe Sony to be infallible, despite all the evidence of the contrary.
It's the same thing Xbox is doing. Wait for...

Wait for the next showcase, wait for an acquisition. They totally have something ready, they just can't show anything because of the MS deal.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Wait for the next showcase, wait for an acquisition. They totally have something ready, they just can't show anything because of the MS deal.
Yep, when in reality things are a lot less interesting, games are taking longer to make, more resources are being directed towards GaaS and PC ports, too many sequels they need to take care of, not enough studios.

Sony is not going to show up with a bunch of unannounced games releasing before Wolverine so we are already looking at 2025 and beyond for when they finally announce something new.

Reactions: Arminius

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Both companies have stuff coming. Sony has Spiderman out within 60 days. This pacing is as it ever was.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Both companies have stuff coming. Sony has Spiderman out within 60 days. This pacing is as it ever was.
Not the pace of future announcements, that one is at an all time low and games don't tend to be announced and then released soon. If Sony announces something later this year we are likely talking about 2025 and beyond already.

The first three years been strong thanks in part to many crossgen games is no guarantee that the rest of this gen will be he same when we are kept completely in the dark about the future.

Reactions: Arminius

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
If... Independant running and cross play commitment was written as part of the selling contract and Sony didn't honor those terms, it would cause a shit stir for them legally, no?
🤷🏽‍♂️ depends what’s written in for breaching. Also contracts can be amended and how Bungie is integrated could be changed in the future provided both parties agree.

Arminius

19 May 2023
Maybe Microsoft buying SE will finally light a fire under Sony’s ass. Then again, I think it is already too late.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Maybe Microsoft buying SE will finally light a fire under Sony’s ass. Then again, I think it is already too late.
Dude stop the doom and gloom. Microsoft will buy shit. They will never get Square Enix. I swear the forum is getting worse and worse. You all are so fragile minded. Jeez…

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar