Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don’t think Capcom will sell anytime soon. The majority of shares is held by a family. Sony does value other Japanese franchises more than SF, Resident etc.
I know it's wishful thinking but they've always been my #1 Choice, they are more than just SF and RE...

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony can learn from Phil and say they'll make games multiplat on a case by case basis.
Sony doesn’t need to make any concessions.
People really tend to forget Microsoft snatched away a lot of franchises away from Sony: Bethesda. The same fate will hit ABK’s most games except COD for 10 years.
I highly doubt Sony would need to promise Final Fantasy coming to Xbox after they acquire Square Enix for example.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Sony doesn’t need to make any concessions.
People really tend to forget Microsoft snatched away a lot of franchises away from Sony: Bethesda. The same fate will hit ABK’s most games except COD for 10 years.
I highly doubt Sony would need to promise Final Fantasy coming to Xbox after they acquire Square Enix for example.
Yeah agreed i don't see sony needing to make any concessions with SE.

The biggest obstacle for the ABK acquisition was COD, regulators didn't really fight that hard or fight at all for ABKs other games.

Now what game is on the same magnitude of COD that SE have that could impact either MS or nintendo? I don't see any.

I feel like if nintendo did raise a fuss in japan, the japanese regulator will laugh them out the building considering how dominant they are in japan and they typically don't need third party content for success. SEs biggest franchise(FF) doesn't even come to nintendo, or atleast the modern versions don't so they won't be losing anything there.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
The thing about Square game is that they don't sell well on Xbox platforms. They can make the argument that they would basically lose nothing.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I was just thinking, two purchases that would be on the level of Acti for Sony and also help them expand into gaas, and mobile would be Epic for fortnite, and Krafton for pubg. Fortnite is obvious why but Pubg is still huge on mobile and big in asia, two areas where Sony is lacking. I also don't think those two companies would break the bank anymore than what they wanted to purchase Fox for back in the day.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I was just thinking, two purchases that would be on the level of Acti for Sony and also help them expand into gaas, and mobile would be Epic for fortnite, and Krafton for pubg. Fortnite is obvious why but Pubg is still huge on mobile and big in asia, two areas where Sony is lacking. I also don't think those two companies would break the bank anymore than what they wanted to purchase Fox for back in the day.
Epic is way too big and would be way too complicated but I’ve always felt Crafton would be on Sonys radar. I think the Callisto protocol bombing maybe gave them pause though.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think Krafton is a great pick for, well, basically anyone, but is Sony really lacking in Asia? I'd say they are much better positioned than MS and have been for 20 years now.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think Krafton is a great pick for, well, basically anyone, but is Sony really lacking in Asia? I'd say they are much better positioned than MS and have been for 20 years now.
Who cares about Microsoft?
When Sony wants to bolster their game in Japan/Asian then it’s mainly because of Nintendo’s dominance over there. People still forget that Sony still seeing Nintendo as a big rival. Any Japanese related acquisitions will help in long-term and being a great bridge for Multimedia approach.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Who cares about Microsoft?
When Sony wants to bolster their game in Japan/Asian then it’s mainly because of Nintendo’s dominance over there. People still forget that Sony still seeing Nintendo as a big rival. Any Japanese related acquisitions will help in long-term and being a great bridge for Multimedia approach.
Nintendo isn't well positioned in Asia either. At least in southeast Asia (which is really what we are talking about since Japan is counted seperately, Nintendo isn't even in mainland China anymore and India doesn't buy games) Sony's still coasting on PS2 dominance.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I would sell my PS5 the moment Sony purchased any of those two companies, become a full time PC player and never even look at a PlayStation again.

You guys seem to be a fan of trash above anything else, if for Sony to win they need to acquire trash tier devs there is no point to it. It's bad enough what Jim Ryan is already doing with the shift to GaaS.

Do you even like the games Sony makes?

Arminius

19 May 2023
Sony better quit dragging their feet! Yesterday! I think it’s too late, though. MS is starting to move in on Japanese publishers. Sony can’t compete with Microsoft after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony better quit dragging their feet! Yesterday! I think it’s too late, though. MS is starting to move in on Japanese publishers.

Its already too late. Wouldnt be surprised if sony's new outlook is, "Our brand is too strong, no one can ignore us"

Arminius

19 May 2023
Yup. The era of Sony is all but over. I don’t care if those companies are Japanese. Microsoft will ALWAYS find away. ALWAYS!

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony better quit dragging their feet! Yesterday! I think it’s too late, though. MS is starting to move in on Japanese publishers. Sony can’t compete with Microsoft after all.

Polish-20230728-225233420.png

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
But hey, they got Goodbye Volcano High on lock as well as a bunch of Chinese and Korean low budget vaporware.
I don't know why people mock China Hero. Enough of the games are good enough that they easily make up for the duds.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't know why people mock China Hero. Enough of the games are good enough that they easily make up for the duds.
I don't play Chinese and Korean games. I'm not even aware that there was good ones, like which one?