Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Many do. The world doesn’t revolve around you.

A Chinese game called Genshin Impact is making more profit than Square Enix at this moment in time.

Yes one game is making more profit than Square Enix annually.
Genshin Impact sucks and any decent person would be ashamed to play such garbage. If that is what PlayStation has become than It hope crashes and burns.

If I wanted to play garbage and waste my time consuming trash I would've bought an Xbox.

Reactions: Edmund and Arminius
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I bet when Sony should acquire Square Enix, all the dudes which were playing Doom & Gloom, will see how unnecessary it was. Again it’s just a 13 years old GaaS title which is coming to Xbox. It’s not even on Gamepass. Nothing is off the table. Bethesda was releasing until 2022 games for PlayStation despite Xbox acquiring them in 2020. I am still convinced that Sony is buying Square Enix, a more than old decade Live Service game release will not change anything.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I bet when Sony should acquire Square Enix, all the dudes which were playing Doom & Gloom, will see how unnecessary it was. Again it’s just a 13 years old GaaS title which is coming to Xbox. It’s not even on Gamepass. Nothing is off the table. Bethesda was releasing until 2022 games for PlayStation despite Xbox acquiring them in 2020. I am still convinced that Sony is buying Square Enix, a more than old decade Live Service game release will not change anything.

Yes this FF14 news is nothing but they were people saying Sony shouldn’t buy SE because they are close.

Business is business. It could get worse.

Either Sony buys these publishers or makes their own games.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That's just copium, Sony ain't buying shit other than some trash like Krafton and Ubisoft.
It’s not copium at all.

Square Enix buyout was reportedly set to be announced last year according to Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller

Senior Analyst at MST Financial David Gibson suggested that Square Enix’s restructuring and diversification of studio capital is a way for the company to look more appealing to buyers

Square Enix sold off their western studios to Embracer group

Sony was reported to be “really interested” in acquiring Square Enix Japan, according to Eidos Montreal founder Stephane D’Astous. They’re not interested in the publisher’s western studios

Square Enix moving into a new and bigger HQ very close to Sony’s HQ near Shibuya/Minato.
All big Square Enix games skip Xbox.

Sony’s CFO speaking about acquiring IPs one day after FTC’s PI request was denied by court.
Nah there is nothing coping.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It’s not copium at all.

Square Enix buyout was reportedly set to be announced last year according to Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller

Senior Analyst at MST Financial David Gibson suggested that Square Enix’s restructuring and diversification of studio capital is a way for the company to look more appealing to buyers

Sony was reported to be “really interested” in acquiring Square Enix Japan, according to Eidos Montreal founder Stephane D’Astous. They’re not interested in the publisher’s western studios

Square Enix moving into a new and bigger HQ very close to Sony’s HQ near Shibuya/Minato.

Sony’s CFO speaking about acquiring IPs one day after FTC’s PI request was denied by court.
Well if selling the western division had anything to do with Sony they are more stupid than I imagined that was one of the worst moves I've ever seen.

Also, if you theory is true why the change of heart regarding Xbox all of the sudden? If you are correct, then they better announce something soon because this doesn't not look good.

Reactions: Arminius
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well if selling the western division had anything to do with Sony they are more stupid than I imagined that was one of the worst moves I've ever seen.

Also, if you theory is true why the change of heart regarding Xbox all of the sudden? If you are correct, then they better announce something soon because this doesn't not look good.
Well I don’t know why they sold the western arm, probably they were not interested in this IPs or they made it to avoid/lessen scrutinising.
I think that Square Enix will not be integrated into PS Studios. They will probably be their own entity within the Sony Group Corporation. Probably the same Bungie model but with having the last word on which games coming to competitors platforms. Imo FF14 will be the last big release on Xbox and that’s mainly because the contracts where negotiated for FF14 years before Sony thinking about acquiring Square Enix. Believe me when I if acquisition or not: FFXIV will perform abysmal on Xbox. Mark my words.

Reactions: Edmund

Arminius

19 May 2023

This. ^

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Well I don’t know why they sold the western arm, probably they were not interested in this IPs or they made it to avoid/lessen scrutinising.
I think that Square Enix will not be integrated into PS Studios. They will probably be their own entity within the Sony Group Corporation. Probably the same Bungie model but with having the last word on which games coming to competitors platforms. Imo FF14 will be the last big release on Xbox and that’s mainly because the contracts where negotiated for FF14 years before Sony thinking about acquiring Square Enix. Believe me when I if acquisition or not: FFXIV will perform abysmal on Xbox. Mark my words.
Uncharted + Tomb Raider alone would be worth that price. Right now Sony doesn't even have a studio to develop Uncharted and Crystal Dynamics would be perfect for that. A proper Deus Ex would also have been a great addition to Sony's line up (a remake of the first one would be a great way to get the IP back on track).

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I don't play Chinese and Korean games. I'm not even aware that there was good ones, like which one?
Stellar Blade, the Mihoyo games, My Time at Portia, Lies of P. And Black Myth Wukong is Chinese, right?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Stellar Blade, the Mihoyo games, My Time at Portia, Lies of P. And Black Myth Wukong is Chinese, right?
Wow.

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It’s not copium at all.

All of this could be true but in the end it's Microsoft buying SE. I hope you have better sources than these small tidbits. The new Square CEO literally made a pledge with Phil and Xbox on stage. That's more powerful than anything that you wrote here.

Reactions: Arminius and Puff
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
All of this could be true but in the end it's Microsoft buying SE. I hope you have better sources than these small tidbits. The new Square CEO literally made a pledge with Phil and Xbox on stage. That's more powerful than anything that you wrote here.
Lol it’s not. “Whenever possible” this statement is ridiculous and shows that MS won’t get anymore than FF14. This is nothing but playing nice. It’s just PR.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Precedent has been set by ABK

If COD, Diablo, Warcraft, Overwatch etc can't be proven to have market changing effects then no other publisher except Take Two would really face such scrutiny

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
So Phil Spencer joins the stage on the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest to announce that FF XIV is coming to Xbox and people are full of doom & gloom now?

Final Fantasy XIV, a game that launched over 10 years ago. A MMORPG which greatly benefits of a larger player size. Now Xbox comes around and pays and supports the development of a port to Xbox.

What should Square Enix say on stage now? "Yeah we are happy to see Final Fantasy XIV come to Xbox, but that's about it". Of course companies always leave the door open to further cooperation.

And in this case Sony is also a party which will not sit idle here. Just one month ago on a Final Fantasy XVI event, Jim Ryan said that "the partnership with SE has never been stronger".

So people should calm down a bit. I don't see any indication that Square Enix is drifting over to Xbox with that.

Sony´s president just recently said to "prioritising intellectual property" so they will know of the value of the Final Fantasy IP for Playstation.

I can see Sony preparing for an acqusition of SE while SE simultaneously collborating with Xbox to port some of their games.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
So Phil Spencer joins the stage on the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest to announce that FF XIV is coming to Xbox and people are full of doom & gloom now?

Final Fantasy XIV, a game that launched over 10 years ago. A MMORPG which greatly benefits of a larger player size. Now Xbox comes around and pays and supports the development of a port to Xbox.

What should Square Enix say on stage now? "Yeah we are happy to see Final Fantasy XIV come to Xbox, but that's about it". Of course companies always leave the door open to further cooperation.

And in this case Sony is also a party which will not sit idle here. Just one month ago on a Final Fantasy XVI event, Jim Ryan said that "the partnership with SE has never been stronger".

So people should calm down a bit. I don't see any indication that Square Enix is drifting over to Xbox with that.

Sony´s president just recently said to "prioritising intellectual property" so they will know of the value of the Final Fantasy IP for Playstation.

I can see Sony preparing for an acqusition of SE while SE simultaneously collborating with Xbox to port some of their games.
Don't use your brain. Just meltdown and create fantasy scenarios like some people on here want the rest of us doing.