Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I saw on Era that another division of Sony are also buying some large company in India from Disney called Zee. It is expected to close in November and some speculate that Sony may not make any large moves with PlayStation until that acquisition is officially finished.
Zee is old news. That was known for half a year now. I think this big acquisition will be gaming related. Sony Pictures CEO said they are mostly done with acquisitions because they don’t see and expect anymore big growth in film-industry.
Well I don’t expect a big gaming related acquisition this year too. Probably next fiscal year.

Reactions: Diah

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I saw on Era that another division of Sony are also buying some large company in India from Disney called Zee. It is expected to close in November and some speculate that Sony may not make any large moves with PlayStation until that acquisition is officially finished.
Disney India is worth 4-6 billions or up to 11 billions. This is more than all the acquisitions in gaming combined. The Sony CEO really doesn't give a fuck about the gaming division. They deserve their misfortune.
Disney India is potentially in the range of $4-6 billion (linear TV only) and $10-11 billion (linear TV and Hotstar)

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Disney India is worth 4-6 billions or up to 11 billions. This is more than all the acquisitions in gaming combined. The Sony CEO really doesn't give a fuck about the gaming division. They deserve their misfortune.

Give it a read again. It’s saying Disney India. Sony doesn’t want all of Disney India. They only want Zee. Zee is probably worth around 1-2B.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Give it a read again. It’s saying Disney India. Sony doesn’t want all of Disney India. They only want Zee. Zee is probably worth around 1-2B.
Sony Zee merger is already happening for 2 years now and its expected to be closed by November.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah, the Zee acquisition is not a new story and will be finished next month. I was just saying that it might be one thing keeping them busy aside from them not having the budget until their next fiscal year.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Apparently Sony Ceo and CFO are really big on acquisitions and gaining IP, who will be temporarily taking over Playstation once Jim leaves next year, some here just have to stop expecting things to happen overnight though.

If it's IP... WB / Discovery is the treasure trove. But it would be expensive and other companies want it too... like Comcast. It's currently valued at 25.8 Billion, which is a little more than TakeTwo but the IP's are far bigger.

I don't know if regulators would go for it, since Sony already has Columbia / Tristar / Sony pictures.

I guess Square and Capcom along with CDPR are next in gaming. In terms of IP power that has trans-media power.

It's where I actually think TakeTwo falls short... most of their IP's have little potential outside gaming.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Chasing after IPs is foolish. Without creators or at least the creators' successors, these IPs can only survive so long before they become obsolete. Like do we even need examples? Just look at Halo, arguably the biggest FPS franchise in the past. Nintendo managed its main IPs so well because it has a "constant" tradition where the original directors strongly scrutinize the future projects directed by a younger generation. Not to mention Sony does not have such a deep pocket as MS does, so Sony actively engaging in the consolidation war is foolish.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Chasing after IPs is foolish. Without creators or at least the creators' successors, these IPs can only survive so long before they become obsolete. Like do we even need examples? Just look at Halo, arguably the biggest FPS franchise in the past. Nintendo managed its main IPs so well because it has a "constant" tradition where the original directors strongly scrutinize the future projects directed by a younger generation. Not to mention Sony does not have such a deep pocket as MS does, so Sony actively engaging in the consolidation war is foolish.
It’s not. Sony needs to secure IPs. When will you guys finally understand that PlayStation is only this strong because of 3rd Party games?
PlayStation was always known as the best place to play most of the 3rd Party games. Sony doesn’t need deep pockets, if they manage to get Square Enix and buy shares in Capcom and Konami they would be fine. Sony needs at least also to do a major acquisition for PlayStation. It’s also required for investors not to lose trust and confidence in the PlayStation brand. PlayStation is Sony’s golden goose.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The goal wouldn't be to win a war, it would be to make sure they continue to have access to certain franchises. Also, Sony have had a good record with retaining talent after an acquisition unlike MS so far.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
It’s not. Sony needs to secure IPs. When will you guys finally understand that PlayStation is only this strong because of 3rd Party games?
PlayStation was always known as the best place to play most of the 3rd Party games. Sony doesn’t need deep pockets, if they manage to get Square Enix and buy shares in Capcom and Konami they would be fine. Sony needs at least also to do a major acquisition for PlayStation. It’s also required for investors not to lose trust and confidence in the PlayStation brand. PlayStation is Sony’s golden goose.
Lmao, you are not the only person who knows PS was strong because of 3rd party, that is exactly the thing why Nintendo fans roast PS's success. Why are you so obsessed with Square anyway, Square as a publisher has only been going downwards, they are literally a company of the past, long past their prime and not to be seen whether they can grow to dominance again. Their IPs are also not as valuable as they once were, so the argument about securing IPs does not hold too. I agree Sony should buy Square, but your arguments are contradictory.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Sony is heavily investing in Asian territories now. After playing Lies of P... Maybe we should start trusting them a little 😬
Sony has one job and that is going back to Japan. And maybe that is just what they are doing , I feel like there are small details that indicate it. Like how the FFXVI plate and controller are only available in Japan, or how the live streaming service goes live first in Japan. Would be cool if others could point out more hints.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Lmao, you are not the only person who knows PS was strong because of 3rd party, that is exactly the thing why Nintendo fans roast PS's success. Why are you so obsessed with Square anyway, Square as a publisher has only been going downwards, they are literally a company of the past, long past their prime and not to be seen whether they can grow to dominance again. Their IPs are also not as valuable as they once were, so the argument about securing IPs does not hold too. I agree Sony should buy Square, but your arguments are contradictory.
Contradictory lmao. I delivered many good arguments why Square Enix makes sense: synergies. You clearly don’t understand that a major acquisition would be something the whole Sony Corporation needs to benefit on. Square Enix, because the lowest market cap (yes even less than Sega) and they probably have the intention to sell. Capcom declared they are not open to sell to Microsoft, so I imagine this goes for other interested parties too. Konami is useless because they don’t have workforce. All the talent behind their brilliant franchises left the Konami a decade ago. If Sony gets a hold on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Nier they will own prestigious and iconic franchises, which enjoy popularity worldwide. Smaller IPs like Star Ocean and Mana games can be transformed into bigger franchises. Also Square Enix retains among the best developer talents across Japan. They can create new and promising IPs. Don’t underestimate the power of this franchises, weebs love them.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Contradictory lmao. I delivered many good arguments why Square Enix makes sense: synergies. You clearly don’t understand that a major acquisition would be something the whole Sony Corporation needs to benefit on. Square Enix, because the lowest market cap (yes even less than Sega) and they probably have the intention to sell. Capcom declared they are not open to sell to Microsoft, so I imagine this goes for other interested parties. Konami is useless because they don’t have workforce. All the talent behind their brilliant franchises left the Konami a decade ago. If Sony gets a hold on Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Nier they will own prestigious and iconic franchises, which enjoy popularity worldwide. Smaller IPs like Star Ocean and Mana games can be transformed into bigger franchises. Also Square Enix retains among the best developer talents across Japan. They can create new and promising IPs. Don’t underestimate the power of this franchises, weebs love them.
If that acquisition is something the whole group can benefit on, in no way should Square be the number one then? Your argument is contradictory because you said Sony needed strong IPs but then proceeded to say those IPs are Square IPs. Now I do not intend to say Square IPs are weak, but they are clearly long past their prime, especially FF franchise. Maybe under Sony they could enjoy a nice boost in popularity again. At least we can agree for one thing that is synergy (Square in the past few years has been legitimately Sony second party studios). That synergy is precisely why I want Sony to acquire Square. Also PS identity atm is GOW, SpiderMan, Uncharted, TLOU, basically the western games, not japanese games.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If that acquisition is something the whole group can benefit on, in no way should Square be the number one then? Your argument is contradictory because you said Sony needed strong IPs but then proceeded to say those IPs are Square IPs. Now I do not intend to say Square IPs are weak, but they are clearly long past their prime, especially FF franchise. Maybe under Sony they could enjoy a nice boost in popularity again. At least we can agree for one thing that is synergy (Square in the past few years has been legitimately Sony second party studios). That synergy is precisely why I want Sony to acquire Square. Also PS identity atm is GOW, SpiderMan, Uncharted, TLOU, basically the western games, not japanese games.
Well people need to forget chasing after TakeTwo. That’s just insane for Sony to spend this much. A Japanese pub like Square would be the right way and also organic growth. Would suit Sony’s style of doing business. Grow the talent and harvest later the success. Square Enix under Sony’s umbrella has the potential to bloom again like they did to Squaresoft era. Honestly people are tired of Western only. Sony meeds variety too. Hell they are a Japanese company without any prestigious Japanese franchise is a shame. GT doesn’t count because it’s a Simulation. FF, KH, DQ can take a place next to Marvel Spiderman, TLOU, God of War. Wouldn’t look bad having these franchises becoming core pillars too.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Well people need to forget chasing after TakeTwo. That’s just insane for Sony to spend this much. A Japanese pub like Square would be the right way and also organic growth. Would suit Sony’s style of doing business. Grow the talent and harvest later the success. Square Enix under Sony’s umbrella has the potential to bloom again like they did to Squaresoft era. Honestly people are tired of Western only. Sony meeds variety too. Hell they are a Japanese company without any prestigious Japanese franchise is a shame. GT doesn’t count because it’s a Simulation. FF, KH, DQ can take a place next to Marvel Spiderman, TLOU, God of War. Wouldn’t look bad having these franchises becoming core pillars too.
It's a shame for sure but it used to not be like that. Back when Japanese gaming dominated the landscape during Ps1 and PS2 era, Playstation was home to some of the greatest games of all time and most were probably from Japan. 7th gen sure fucked Japanese gaming hard. However, I feel like SIE is coming back to Japan (my hinch and my hope). What Sony should do now is open up some new Japanese studios. Personally, though, I want Sony to acquire From parent company and let From develop games with bluepoint game engine.

Reactions: Diah
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

ZEE is huge in India, also nearly all Indians love Sony. Just go check the comments on Sony's official account on YouTube. They already have Sony Entertainment Television there.

• Peachy
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Yeah, the Zee acquisition is not a new story and will be finished next month. I was just saying that it might be one thing keeping them busy aside from them not having the budget until their next fiscal year.
Sony-Zee merger was announced in December 2021 and Bungie two months later. They can do two things at once. If they don't acquire, that just means they don't want to. They are slow when it comes to M&A.