Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
I mean forum has an ignore feature for a reason.
What next, new Nintendo console will flop hader than the Wii U except Nintedno will go bankrupt as well?
It’s very funny reading these comments. It’s one thing to say the brand will be damaged, but it’s another thing to say it will just die because reasons. Xbox at its current state is just a pushover, it’s doing nothing right, it’s just that bad. These acquisitions moving the needle only means Playstation is finally facing some competition, but they just gotta be hyperbole to trigger fans because these people are clearly not PS fans in anyway.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Nintendo has 90% market share on Japanese gaming industry.
Sony could buy whoever they want in Japan as long the company is willing to sell. Nintendo doesn’t own any Japanese publisher.
Takeovers of big gaming companies don’t happen over night. Sony was negotiating for 6 months with Bungie, and they ain’t no pub.
We all know Activision Blizzard delayed many things for Sony, if people want to admit or not.
When Sony allocates new budgets they will make big moves. I don’t understand why you do keep repeating to fall in your doom & gloom circle. Just have some patience jeez…
To be fair a lot of Jap company are a bit slow on transitioning, but not Sony.

They bought Columbia back in 90s despite being laughed at,

The Walkman fucked them hard so I guessed it is their lesson.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
To be fair a lot of Jap company are a bit slow on transitioning, but not Sony.

They bought Columbia back in 90s despite being laughed at,

The Walkman fucked them hard so I guessed it is their lesson.
Sony is slow indeed. They slept on Namco before the merger with Bandai. They slept on Atlus before Sega acquired them. They slept on a close to being insolvent Squaresoft merger with Enix. They didn’t buy Fromsoftware despite Demons Souls have been a hit. There a more I could name. If it comes to mergers and acquisitions they could benefit on, they are big slowpokes.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I means there are rarely anything good comes out from acquisition for something that has grown to its full potentials, publishers for example. I think most likely Sony gonna purchase shares in publishers to solidate partnerships

Mark my word, 5-10 years later MShit gonna exit the gaming businuess and write off ABK for a funny 3-4 billions USD.

Reactions: Diah

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Sony is slow indeed. They slept on Namco before the merger with Bandai. They slept on Atlus before Sega acquired them. They slept on a close to being insolvent Squaresoft merger with Enix. They didn’t buy Fromsoftware despite Demons Souls have been a hit. There a more I could name. If it comes to mergers and acquisitions they could benefit on, they are big slowpokes.
Because nobody was buying publishers at the time, only smaller publishers got merged. They saw their portoflio, saw their growth potentials and think it is not worth it. Atlus after 10 years still got abysmal outputs and some of their IPs got shelfed, basicslly they have became the Persona publisher whether you like it or not.

The thing is, MShit got a shit ton of money to blow. They bought Nokia and write it off tommorow like no reasons. Reactionary is never a good choice.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
We can not really blame Sony for all the decisions during 7th gen. Western gaming dominated the landscape during that gen, Sony needed to chase a bigger fish, their homeland is not that fish, especially when Xbox was kicking PS in the ass. Also is Demons souls really a hit? It did not even sell that much, sleeper hit sure but definitely not as profitable as Sony would have expected, it was intended to be Oblivion rival if I remember correctly.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
FromSoft was Yoshida fault, to be fair he kinda "fix" it.

Anyway, I still think consolidation is stupid. I think SE could be improved under Sony, but not T2, Capcom, or any publishers, studoos that doing well.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
These acquisitions moving the needle only means Playstation is finally facing some competition
I was going to react positively to your post but then I saw that fucking line.

Buying publishers will NEVER be competition.

MS would compete if they were making their own successful IPs and customers had to choose between both consoles to play them.

Buying publishers to force customers in your ecosystem is not competition.

Sony did it by making games from the ground up. That was how they were competing and customers made their choice.

MS was not happy about it so they want to disrupt the whole market. It's not competition.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

MS would compete if they were making their own successful IPs and customers had to choose between both consoles to play them.

Sony did it by making games from the ground up. That was how they were competing and customers made their choice.

MS was not happy about it so they want to disrupt the whole market. It's not competition.
Yea it is getting iring at this point.

React, react to what? SIE is hsving their best year in Japan since PSP-PS2 era, in US they also killed the competition, same in UK, in Europe PS is the only home console that had the presence...

The 10 years deal, will ABK and COD stays irrelevant in the next 10 years, or realistically they gonna be mismanaged and written off like Nokia

PS doesn't need to do anything, they just need to do their best thing, moneyhatting games to make the green rats cry and continue cultivating their 1st party studio.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
FromSoft was Yoshida fault, to be fair he kinda "fix" it.

Anyway, I still think consolidation is stupid. I think SE could be improved under Sony, but not T2, Capcom, or any publishers, studoos that doing well.
Yes but Microsoft changed the rules by force. Buying no name studios and trying to cultivate them will not work out for Sony anymore. Sony doesn’t have time to grow small studios into big ones. This worked very well until Microsoft bought Zenimax and now Activision Blizzard. Halfhearted attempts like buying share won’t move a needle for Sony. They will need to acquire Square Enix in full, not shares. And then maybe invest shares in key partners like TakeTwo, Capcom and Konami. Buy additional studios which could help Sony in long-term: Nihon Falcom, JP GAMES for example. Reactions are now required. The flood gates for mass consolidation are now open. There is no way to change it.

Last edited:

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023

Why are we talking about fairness here? I only know that if MS outputs quality games, PS will be pressured. The market is the way it is, crying about it is pointless.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Yes but Microsoft changed the tules by force. Buying no name studios and trying to cultivate them will not work out for Sony anymore. Sony doesn’t have time to grow small studios into big ones. This worked very well until Microsoft bought Zenimax and now Activision Blizzard. Halfhearted attempts like buying share won’t move a needle for Sony. They will need to acquire Square Enix in full, not shares. And then maybe invest shares in key partners like TakeTwo, Capcom and Konami. Buy additional studios which could help Sony in long-term: Nihon Falcom, JP GAMES for example. Reactions are now required. The flood gates for mass consolidation are now open. There is no way to change it.
Where did Zennimax get them, Starfield, Redfall?

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Square Enix has 1, 2 IPs from the Enix era that has been buried under sand. Let just says that if Sony acquires Square Enix then hope they resurrected those ips

I mean chances are slim to none, but oh well.

Reactions: Jim Ryan and Diah
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Where did Zennimax get them, Starfield, Redfall?
Every one who says The Elder Scrolls VI, Fallout V, Diablo V, Spyro IV, next Doom instalment will not missing on PlayStation is upfront not being honest. Yes you and I don’t play these games but millions did and will miss them. Sony will need to acquire meaningful IPs. They will need to create their own successful niche. If Sony buys Square Enix they would have Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Nier and Kingdom Hearts. They have the potential to become 10 million sellers which is good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Why are we talking about fairness here? I only know that if MS outputs quality games, PS will be pressured. The market is the way it is, crying about it is pointless.
What quality games is MS getting by buying Activision? They already had all these games on Xbox and the quality will not change.

How is Sony supposed to react to that exactly? Sony already has more than enough pressure on their studios and they deliver bangers like Spider-Man 2 (91 meta), Ragnarok (94) and Horizon (89), Tlou2 (93). Not good enough?

This whole pressure and competition for Sony is stupid. They already deliver the goods. All eyes are on Sony. Always. They don't need more pressure.

Reactions: Diah and Puff

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
What quality games is MS getting by buying Activision? They already had all these games on Xbox and the quality will not change.

How is Sony supposed to react to that exactly? Sony already has more than enough pressure on their studios and they deliver bangers like Spider-Man 2 (91 meta), Ragnarok (94) and Horizon (89), Tlou2 (93). Not good enough?

This whole pressure and competition for Sony is stupid. They already deliver the goods. All eyes are on Sony. Always. They don't need more pressure.
do you know what speculation is? I’m not saying MS is releasing quality games, but maybe they will in the future. As for Activision, MS took COD away from PS, that’s a big W for Xbox and a big L for PS. Yes they already had all these games and people will buy these games on PS5 instead of Xbox, but now that they are partly exclusive, either you get a PC or Xbox to play those games cause PS5 cannot. Lmao Sony released 1 big game this year, one god damn game. The garbage showcase, the lack of communications, the PC push, the GAAS push. Sony is making good games despite Xbox being a pushover, that means Sony will be making more good games if Xbox is more competitive.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Like I always said I would prefer something like Pearl Abyss.

They have a MMORPG, Crimson Desert looks amazing and would see Sony expand to South Korea.

Is that what Sony will do? I really doubt it.

They will probably do some defensive buy, and I don't believe it will be good for consumers.

But just my opinion.

Korea is very fertile ground and it would be quite forward thinking.

I admire your principles regarding acquisitions and understand your worry about the negative consequences but I can't really blame Sony for making defensive acquisitions. Particularly after Microsoft has been so aggressive.

I did speak to some Japanese gamers and they seem to think Square, Capcom or Namco Bandai are the best options if they had to acquire but again... they would prefer if Sony didn't feel forced to do it at all.

I think a nice mix would be... Square, Arc System Works, Konami IP purchase and Larian. Or something that would look similar.

Obviously, we have absolutely no control over these things, so theres no point in getting to hung up about it. But I'd be happy as long as it brings great new games and IP's to PlayStation.... imagine the Star Wars game Larian could make.... or Marvel vs fighting game by Arc.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Shinobi is quite reliable and he believes first that Sony will buy Square Enix.

I saw on Era that another division of Sony are also buying some large company in India from Disney called Zee. It is expected to close in November and some speculate that Sony may not make any large moves with PlayStation until that acquisition is officially finished.