Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
MS buying Square would be devastating to Sony. They can never ever ever afford to let that happen. Also MS buying SE is kinda stupid as well since their games don't do all that great on Xbox consoles.
It's not happening ever period.
Reasons as follows.
1. The company would have to be open to being bought.
2. They sell maybe a 1/10 alone on how much Playstation or Nintendo sells. Why sell to someone who can't turn a positive profit for the company.
3. Japan is a country open to 'trade" not ownership.
4. Microsoft turned their whole recent acquisition into a America vs Japan situation which is one of the worst things they could have done in that situation.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
@Puff @Dabaus @Gods&Monsters
You guys need seriously a break from Twitter, ResetEra and NeoGaf.
Idas is an Xbox cheerleader. He knows nothing about Japan’s laws & regulations. If Sony or either the house of the mouse didn’t buy Square Enix, what makes you think Microsoft can?
I don’t understand why you guys always look actively for doom posts. Is this some kind of fetish? I never visit Era, because I know some bullshit will get me worked up. Do yourself a favour to just avoid these toxic clout chasers.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Again and again us fans that in theory shouldn't know anything seem to have a better feeling for this stuff than these companies (maybe because we actually play games).

Larian was an obvious aquisition target before BG3, too late for that now.

CDPR value is at an all time low and they are probably the second best RPG studio out there, possibly the best if they get their shit together.

Reactions: Diah

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Again and again us fans that in theory shouldn't know anything seem to have a better feeling for this stuff than these companies (maybe because we actually play games).

Larian was an obvious aquisition target before BG3, too late for that now.

CDPR value is at an all time low and they are probably the second best RPG studio out there, possibly the best if they get their shit together.
Why not larian may I ask I guess the CEO is against getting bought also sony would have to do a day and date PC release without which he would not agree other than that yes his studio would probably cost a billion or so

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Why not larian may I ask I guess the CEO is against getting bought also sony would have to do a day and date PC release without which he would not agree other than that yes his studio would probably cost a billion or so
Now he is obviously (or will at least ask for a lot more), but at one point they definitely would've welcomed investment and support from Sony. The beta for BG3 has been public since 2020, the game was obviously going to be great (still turned out better than anyone could've guessed).

BG3 is easily the best game I played in a long time and should be a study case for any dev studio on how to develop a game.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Now he is obviously (or will at least ask for a lot more), but at one point they definitely would've welcomed investment and support from Sony. The beta for BG3 has been public since 2020, the game was obviously going to be great (still turned out better than anyone could've guessed).

BG3 is easily the best game I played in a long time and should be a study case for any dev studio on how to develop a game.
Early access model is frowned upon but it does wonders for the game I hope sony move forward with their live service model games for this

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Early access model is frowned upon but it does wonders for the game I hope sony move forward with their live service model games for this
The way Larian did it was brilliant. Chapter one is big and includes pretty much all the elements that you'll see along the game but is small in comparison to the rest and is more like a huge demo.

No way the game would be as good as polished as it is without the player feedback.

Meanwhile at Sony we had Naughty Dog developing a multiplayer game in secret for over 4 years. Yet they think they are suited for GaaS to be their main business going forward.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
The way Larian did it was brilliant. Chapter one is big and includes pretty much all the elements that you'll see along the game but is small in comparison to the rest and is more like a huge demo.
I see CDPR is valued at 2.5 billion which along a premium would cost 4 - 5 billion
All the publishers be it ubisoft , cd projekt red , Embracer , Square enix are within the range of 3 - 4 billion sony needs to act fast before we see a spike in market cap

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I see CDPR is valued at 2.5 billion which along a premium would cost 4 - 5 billion
All the publishers be it ubisoft , cd projekt red , Embracer , Square enix are within the range of 3 - 4 billion sony needs to act fast before we see a spike in market cap
Right now CDPR looks like the most attractive acquisition by far and it looks like they actually would benefit from being under a publisher like Sony.

Isn't Sony all about expanding to PC now? CDPR would be huge on that front and is a direct answer to Bethesda being under MS.

• brain
Reactions: Playstation Sucka
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
CDPR doesn’t want to sell, they said it a while ago. Ubisoft will probably not to sell either. Nobody will buy Embracer, companies will wait until they go insolvent. Would be afterwards cheaper to acquire franchises.
Sony is 100% eyeing Square’s development. Their market share tanked hard, perfect moment for Sony to buy them for a lower price.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
CDPR doesn’t want to sell, they said it a while ago. Ubisoft will probably not to sell either. Nobody will buy Embracer, companies will wait until they go insolvent. Would be afterwards cheaper to acquire franchises.
Sony is 100% eyeing Square’s development. Their market share tanked hard, perfect moment for Sony to buy them for a lower price.
The thing that people forget is no way in hell Sony would buy someone they have not worked with, as least wihtout some sort of PS exclusivity before. It would be hard to intergrated

Also I would take Nintendo as a larger threat to SE ownership, Nintendo still have cashes lying around. Forget about american company, they have no place here.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony is on the worst position possible to make big acquisitions.
>Microsoft just paid a premium for Activision and actually managed to get it
>Whether you like them or not it cements their position in the industry and severely screws Sony in the eyes of investors, even if they are still first.
>Nintendo is still dominant Japan in gaming and they so powerful there that it's impossible for Sony to just offer money without Nintendo having a say.

I always argued that instead of just sitting around doing nothing while this ABK deal was going through regulators that Sony should’ve been acquiring and investing in mainly Japanese publishers as “just in case.” Now that the deal has gone through they look cheap and weak. Meanwhile the pictures division just announced buying Disneys assets in India. PlayStation is the red headed step child of Sony.

gokuss4

Veteran
28 Jan 2023
>Whether you like them or not it cements their position in the industry and severely screws Sony in the eyes of investors, even if they are still first.
>Nintendo is still dominant Japan in gaming and they so powerful there that it's impossible for Sony to just offer money without Nintendo having a say.

I always argued that instead of just sitting around doing nothing while this ABK deal was going through regulators that Sony should’ve been acquiring and investing in mainly Japanese publishers as “just in case.” Now that the deal has gone through they look cheap and weak. Meanwhile the pictures division just announced buying Disneys assets in India. PlayStation is the red headed step child of Sony.
Yes
I think the Playstation brand will get dreamcast in the next gen
Ps6 will be the last sony console imo

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Why do you desperately want Playstation to disappear so much? I saw you saying this for many times already. To say something like this means to have actual statistics and data analysis to back up.
I mean forum has an ignore feature for a reason.
What next, new Nintendo console will flop hader than the Wii U except Nintedno will go bankrupt as well?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Nintendo has 90% market share on Japanese gaming industry.
Sony could buy whoever they want in Japan as long the company is willing to sell. Nintendo doesn’t own any Japanese publisher.
Takeovers of big gaming companies don’t happen over night. Sony was negotiating for 6 months with Bungie, and they ain’t no pub.
We all know Activision Blizzard delayed many things for Sony, if people want to admit or not.
When Sony allocates new budgets they will make big moves. I don’t understand why you do keep repeating to fall in your doom & gloom circle. Just have some patience jeez…