Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Dragon Quest is not equally as big in the west as Final Fantasy is. Xbox gamers live in the west.
Even more reason to get it on Xbox. That's the exact reason they use for FF16. To make the franchise grow and get new fans (even if all the FFs are already on xbox but whatever).

They should be out there demanding Dragon Quest. Phil should cry to the FTC like he did for FF16. He's there posing with Nintendo merch instead, no demands, nothing. How strange.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Since when are timed-exclusives so evil anyway? They've been part of gaming forever. I don't know why you're so bothered about these deals.
I am okay with timed exclusives if the console maker is paying for development of a game that isn't otherwise going to be made but dont like it when its delaying a title that would get made as a day and date multiplat otherwise. I think it hurts all sides. Obviously it hurts gamers, but it also hurts the software company since their title is being kept away from consumers (especially if its the more popular platform, be it Switch or PS5, being excluded.) But if done instead of building first party games, as Xbox tried last gen, then it hurts the console maker most of all because they spend the second half of the generation with no exclusive library to sell themselves on.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
@Jim Ryan

Yeah, if youre a JRPG fan, youre going to have a better time with a Sony console. I agree. However, I do put my money where my mouth is and have purchased nearly every Final Fantasy possible on Xbox I could.

So that's 7, 8, 9, X, x2, 12, 13, 13-2, lightning returns, 15, and world of final fantasy maxim

Just like if youre an FPS or WRPG fan, youll likely prefer Xbox consoles overall. That seems to be the direction they want to continue developing their brand.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
I am okay with timed exclusives if the console maker is paying for development of a game that isn't otherwise going to be made but dont like it when its delaying a title that would get made as a day and date multiplat otherwise. I think it hurts all sides. Obviously it hurts gamers, but it also hurts the software company since their title is being kept away from consumers (especially if its the more popular platform, be it Switch or PS5, being excluded.) But if done instead of building first party games, as Xbox tried last gen, then it hurts the console maker most of all because they spend the second half of the generation with no exclusive library to sell themselves on.
This, If Sony wants to have exclusives from 3rd party so much, fund the damn projects to actually get to own the IPs.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Addressing a CNBC question on whether Sony needs to do anything in response to Microsoft's move to catch up in the intellectual property land grab that's been going on in gaming, Lempel said Sony is constantly on the hunt for new developer partners to build exclusive titles for PS5.

But, he added, attempts to build out Sony's growing catalogue of first-party games further may not always mean acquisitions, stressing its interest in partnerships.

"We have a number of ways of looking at this," Lempel said, adding that "in terms of great content, that's where we're focused."

"We've done more M&A [mergers and acquisitions] in the past decade than we've ever done," he said. "We're always looking to work with new partners, whether that's somebody as an external provider … or working with a developer along with the way and then acquiring them later."

• party
Reactions: Diah and Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Have patience. He is talking about acquisitions for PS studios. Integrate a pub into PS studios doesn’t make sense. Hence even Bungie wasn’t integrated because they are already too big.
This isn’t mutually exclusive to them to acquire bigger corporations. He is not representing Sony, just SIE which is a 100% subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Have patience. He is talking about acquisitions for PS studios. Integrate a pub into PS studios doesn’t make sense. Hence even Bungie wasn’t integrated because they are already too big.
This doesn’t exclusive to them to acquire bigger corporations. He is not representing Sony, just SIE which is a 100% subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation.
Western publishers are out of the realm due to them having a huge workforce

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
This isn’t mutually exclusive to them to acquire bigger corporations. He is not representing Sony, just SIE which is a 100% subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation.
I saw SMEJ got new listings, somewhere along it are "transitition of known intellectual properties" and "mobile platform experience with well-known characters"

Probably nothing but, who knows

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
At the end I want Sony to treat franchises with respects and deliver it to new heights if they accquring something.

I don't want another Namco situation where they are relegated into making shitty anime music games despite having great catalogues of games before.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
With glowing reviews of Alan Wake 2, Remedy would fit PlayStation like a glove. A studio that makes narrative driven single player games with stunning graphics? Yeah, fits the criteria.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
With glowing reviews of Alan Wake 2, Remedy would fit PlayStation like a glove. A studio that makes narrative driven single player games with stunning graphics? Yeah, fits the criteria.
They should have been acquired years ago. I was delusional at one point to think they would be, because Shu was visiting them once every coupe months at one point.

Such a shame, Sony wasn't smart enough to at least sign a 3 game deal with them.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
THIS!

"I was thinking about it and they'd be better off buying large shares in publishers. Like for instance if they owned between 25% to 50% in Capcom, Square Enix and SEGA it would protect them from buyouts. Sony may just continue buying independent developers though which doesn't get as much scrutiny as trying to outright buy e.g. Ubisoft or something" GamingDevil800 from the IGN comments section.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Say1nMan and Puff