Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
What was the problem just taking 100% of the PS side of retail/mtx spending by owning an independently run Bungie, exactly? Who made Bungie the GAAS masters?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Disney is spending 8 billion dollars to buy the remaining shares of HULU, i guess that would take them out of the running of buy EA now? Disney doesnt have that much cash on hand.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Disney is spending 8 billion dollars to buy the remaining shares of HULU, i guess that would take them out of the running of buy EA now? Disney doesnt have that much cash on hand.
Disney have such an easy layup with Marvel though, just reintegrate the xmen and whatever else they got from fox into things. If the expectation is a new xmen or something walks onto each marvel film. Or xavier is doing the avengers recruitment role of nick fury in phase one, people will continue watching waiting for the first xmen or FF reunion team up like avengers 1. Not to mention Doom or whatever else came from Fox.

Reactions: Diah

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Sony Interactive Entertainment to Acquire iSIZE, a UK-based Company Specializing in Deep Learning for Video Delivery​

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Sony Interactive Entertainment to Acquire iSIZE, a UK-based Company Specializing in Deep Learning for Video Delivery​

Just what the gamers ordered. Screw IPs, we need more of this./s

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Id like to think this is the meme acquistion before the real thing but sadly i think this the best we're going to get. Its so lame its not even for cloud streaming, lame as that is, but for super HD state of plays I guess? After a week of bad press/bad rumors youd think theyd want to drop something positive but nope.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

They have less cash than Sony... I don't know how people thought Disney would be able to when they had written Sony off completely!

I think Tencent and Sony could both buy EA together. Tencent could probably outright buy them too, on their own. Meaning they could also buy TakeTwo...

Apple has no interest as far as I can see.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They have less cash than Sony... I don't know how people thought Disney would be able to when they had written Sony off completely!

I think Tencent and Sony could both buy EA together. Tencent could probably outright buy them too, on their own. Meaning they could also buy TakeTwo...

Apple has no interest as far as I can see.
Tencent would never be allowed to buy EA.. you'd see politicians finally fully back the FTC.

They would also give Sony a hard time.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Tencent would never be allowed to buy EA.. you'd see politicians finally fully back the FTC.

They would also give Sony a hard time.

Which is why they should try to both buy large chunks for joint control, circumventing the regulatory hurdles. If they really want to make that move.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja and Diah

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Is @Diah a real account? I get many likes but no posts yet.

Don't be shy. I'll show you my boobs 😘
Bonk Dobo GIF by DogeBONK

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think this is one important reason why Sony
would buy Square Enix.
Bungie was suffering financially.

So does Square Enix.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I think this is one important reason why Sony
would buy Square Enix.
Bungie was suffering financially.

So does Square Enix.

Yeah most studios/publishers open for acquisition are struggling financially. Sony's shared xDev and others coming in to help with the game within the PS Studios family helps a lot in keeping the expenses lower and output faster with much control on quality. But not sure that would be the story with Bungie as well as they are declared independent within SIE.

24 Jun 2022
If Sony buying Bungie saved Bungie financially, and them buying Square-Enix would do similar, then sure. I mean we all agree that Square-Enix brings a lot of synergetic benefits to PlayStation and vice-versa.

But that would make a lot of the ridicule Microsoft got for buying Zenimax, who were also struggling financially at the time, look dumb and ridiculous. Heck, I did some of that myself. Not when MS actually bought Zenimax, but after they announced they were buying ABK and started campaigning like disgusting, dirty politicians to get public support for the deal against regulators.

Reactions: Diah and Bo_Hazem

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It would have been in jeopardy, but only of having to sell itself for less then it did a year ago or of having to cancel and lay off more people.

Kind of nuts what one bad expansion can do these days. "AAA GaaS" is very competitive, who would have thought.