Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Looking like Take-Two will be on the hunt for more acquisitions rather than looking to be bought. Zynga was their last big purchase so it'll be interesting to see where else they want to expand.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Helldivers 2 looks fire, gonna get it day one. If it pans out well, then we should expect them to be bought.
I want them to buy ArrowHead. Great studio who just needs a good dev support system and budget... Similar to Housemarque

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Why theyll just lay them off too? Sony is downsizing now. They dont have the funds to acquire anyone IMO.
Layoffs are industry wide. they have nothing to do with acquisition funding.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment looking for a big buyout just because you're nervous. This stuff is slow and takes time, as many have told you on here daily. lmao

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
I want them to buy ArrowHead. Great studio who just needs a good dev support system and budget... Similar to Housemarque
Arrowhead's bread and butter are co-op games. Games like Magicka and Helldivers. Games that don't really sell that well.
Helldivers 2 was almost 8 years in development. And I don't really think it will be THAT successful. Which means I don't really think Sony will be interested in them.

On the other hand there is Remedy (expensive for one single studio / they're a publicly traded company) which has a long history of making great singleplayer games. The big question is: Is Sony still interested in getting more studios for singleplayer games, or is the focus now only on PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation PC and live-service? Areas where they aren't really strong right now.

miHoYo
A live-service juggernaut on consoles, PC and mobile.
Expensive and I doubt they want to sell.

Difficult times right now. There is a reason why Sony is going after brandnew / newly formed studios.
Not much left in this consolidating industry. Only big publishers for a lot of money.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Arrowhead's bread and butter are co-op games. Games like Magicka and Helldivers. Games that don't really sell that well.
Helldivers 2 was almost 8 years in development. And I don't really think it will be THAT successful. Which means I don't really think Sony will be interested in them.

On the other hand there is Remedy (expensive for one single studio / they're a publicly traded company) which has a long history of making great singleplayer games. The big question is: Is Sony still interested in getting more studios for singleplayer games, or is the focus now only on PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation PC and live-service? Areas where they aren't really strong right now.

miHoYo
A live-service juggernaut on consoles, PC and mobile.
Expensive and I doubt they want to sell.

Difficult times right now. There is a reason why Sony is going after brandnew / newly formed studios.
Not much left in this consolidating industry. Only big publishers for a lot of money.

MiHoYo is a no go.... just cant buy them, too political.

I expect them to buy a Japanese publisher with a large mobile arm! Most likely. Next year sometime.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
MiHoYo is a no go.... just cant buy them, too political.

I expect them to buy a Japanese publisher with a large mobile arm! Most likely. Next year sometime.
Namco? Nah

SMEJ buying GameFreaks and owning 33℅ of Pokemon

Pokemon coming to playstation

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

trdante

26 Sep 2023
Sony should keep an eye on Remedy, Ember Lab and Arrowhead.

Larger studio acquisitions would be conceivable, for example Larian Studios or CDPR.

Sony should definitely do something for their RPG portfolio,

Korean studios are also worth keeping an eye on. Lies of P developers or Stellar Blade Studio

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Sony should keep an eye on Remedy, Ember Lab and Arrowhead.

Larger studio acquisitions would be conceivable, for example Larian Studios or CDPR.

Sony should definitely do something for their RPG portfolio,

Korean studios are also worth keeping an eye on. Lies of P developers or Stellar Blade Studio

From the most awarded and also most prestigious point of view, I think Larian, Remedy, CDPR and From are the ones to elevate PSStudios status.

Publisher level... Only Capcom has a level of quality to elevate PSStudios further.

Square would fit in nicely but not truly elevate imo.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Diah

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
If MiHoYo wasn't Chinese, Sony would have already snatched those folks up. With all this talk bout GAAS surrounding Sony I won't be surprised if they are still eying studios with already established and successful GAAS IPs.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Absolutely Sony isn’t buying a publisher now. Bungie missing revenues by 45 percent will spook upper management and the division in general seems like an unfocused mess. I thought the Bungie acquisition was like a first step to locking down partners but instead it seemed like the foundation for turning their entire first party into some gaas company. Jim Ryan is a disaster.

Last edited:

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Who knows at this point.

We know how much financial trouble Square was in even though they were rumored to be bought out by Sony. Bigger publishers don't rely heavily on one game like Bungie.