Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Pearl abyss would be a great pickup but i bet they'd cost a lot. Also where's DokeV dammit
Not that expensive thou.
$0.42B
Actually a no brainer for Sony if rumours are true. Korean Media reported about Sony’s interest in Pearl Abyss and Neo Wiz…

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Not that expensive thou.
$0.42B
Actually a no brainer for Sony if rumours are true. Korean Media reported about Sony’s interest in Pearl Abyss and Neo Wiz…

It's that studio that is making the new amazing Crimson Desert? That would be an amazing catch!

Reactions: Diah

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
The fall of Sega/Atlus has officially begun. Might at well cross them off of the Sony acquisition list.
They're starting sell Xbox controller skins for the Persona franchise now.

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The fall of Sega/Atlus has officially begun. Might at well cross them off of the Sony acquisition list.
They're starting sell Xbox controller skins for the Persona franchise now.
Yakuza came and went. Persona Tactics is coming out next week. Zero hype.

That's what happens when you align yourself with the last place console with terrible marketing. No one buys your shit anymore but Sega doesn't care. They want to sell to MS, they're just waiting to make it official.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023

That's what happens when you align yourself with the last place console with terrible marketing. No one buys your shit anymore but Sega doesn't care. They want to sell to MS, they're just waiting to make it official.

To be honest I'd rather play that new Naruto game that comes out next week rather then Tactica they should've left that chibi garbage on Nintendo. Makes me wonder if P3 remake is even going to sell next year considering it comes out around the same time as Granblue Fantasy and FFVII Rebirth that probably the only time Xbox might actually make money on a JP Rpg considering they don't get either of those 2 games 😀. After the B.S. I went through just trying to get my Persona 5 Royal collector's edition I'm personally done buying anything from there official stores.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

I'm still waiting for my imported physical copy to ship from PlayAsia 😭 F Sega for putting the game day 1 on GamePass but not having a North American physical release!!

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Arrowhead + Pearl Abyss.
Why Pearl Abyss? they suck, they made 1 crappy MMORPG p2w grindfest! And 1 upcoming single player game that may or may not be good. Thats a poor choice. And Arrowhead is too fixated on PC, I'd rather Sony not waste money on them. You guys are asking for the weirdest acquisitions.

The only acquisition that makes sense is EMBER LABS. Sony should do everything they can to get them and give them all the resources and creative freedom they need.

• brain

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Why Pearl Abyss? they suck, they made 1 crappy MMORPG p2w grindfest! And 1 upcoming single player game that may or may not be good. Thats a poor choice. And Arrowhead is too fixated on PC, I'd rather Sony not waste money on them. You guys are asking for the weirdest acquisitions.

The only acquisition that makes sense is EMBER LABS. Sony should do everything they can to get them and give them all the resources and creative freedom they need.
2 upcoming single player games, Crimson Desert and DokeV

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
2 upcoming single player games, Crimson Desert and DokeV
Never heard of DokeV, just looked it up its also a multiplayer game that can be played solo. It looks like a futuristic childrens mobile game. Roblox amd pokemon with better graphics, it could be a hit but not for me.

• haha
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

I am not asking for weird acquisitions. Pearl Abyss has sheer potential to become a heavy talent smithery. Crimson Desert and Doke V looking superb. It was reported by Korean Media, that Sony is interested in buying Pearl Abyss and Neo Wiz. You shouldn’t underestimate them just because they are Korean. Korea is on the rise to become the next treasure drove for talented developers.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I am not asking for weird acquisitions. Pearl Abyss has sheer potential to become a heavy talent smithery. Crimson Desert and Doke V looking superb. It was reported by Korean Media, that Sony is interested in buying Pearl Abyss and Neo Wiz. You shouldn’t underestimate them just because they are Korean. Korea is on the rise to become the next treasure drove for talented developers.
My stance has nothing to do with them being Korean, why’d you make that assumption? Stellar Blade is made by a Korean studio and that’s one of my most anticipated games.

I’m only against Pearl Abyss because they're not proven yet. They don’t have a catalog to justify an acquisition, has nothing to do with them being Korean.

They have:
1 pay to win MMORPG that sucks (to me)
1 upcoming single player game that may or may not be good
1 upcoming multiplayer game that looks boring and like it’s made for children.

That’s who you’re keen to acquire? 🤔 I don’t get it. Maybe if Crimson Desert is good it could be a possible acquisition target, but I’m not sold on it yet.

As for NeoWiz, I don’t care for Soulslike games at all, but they’re not a bad target since a lot of people seemed to love Lies of P. I was addressing Pearl Abyss and Arrowhead, Arrowhead isn’t Korean either and I’m still against that acquisition.

Ember Labs should be #1 priority imo

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
My stance has nothing to do with them being Korean, why’d you make that assumption? Stellar Blade is made by a Korean studio and that’s one of my most anticipated games.

I’m only against Pearl Abyss because they're not proven yet. They don’t have a catalog to justify an acquisition, has nothing to do with them being Korean.

They have:
1 pay to win MMORPG that sucks (to me)
1 upcoming single player game that may or may not be good
1 upcoming multiplayer game that looks boring and like it’s made for children.

That’s who you’re keen to acquire? 🤔 I don’t get it. Maybe if Crimson Desert is good it could be a possible acquisition target, but I’m not sold on it yet.

As for NeoWiz, I don’t care for Soulslike games at all, but they’re not a bad target since a lot of people seemed to love Lies of P. I was addressing Pearl Abyss and Arrowhead, Arrowhead isn’t Korean either and I’m still against that acquisition.

Ember Labs should be #1 priority imo
Ember Labs? What do they provide? They have 1 IP that sold fine and that’s it.

They certainly would not be a bad acquisition but they are far from a #1 priority.

While the competition is buying valuable IPs and whole publishers, buying an indie developer will not move the needle.

Also, arguing against Pearl Abyss and Arrowhead while arguing in favor of Ember Labs is a wild take imo

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ember Labs? What do they provide? They have 1 IP that sold fine and that’s it.

They certainly would not be a bad acquisition but they are far from a #1 priority.

While the competition is buying valuable IPs and whole publishers, buying an indie developer will not move the needle.

Also, arguing against Pearl Abyss and Arrowhead while arguing in favor of Ember Labs is a wild take imo
Ember Labs created one of the best 3D action platformers in the last decade….with a team of 12 employees…. Need I say more? Kena Bridge of Spirits looks, runs, and plays better than 99% of AAA games released. Thats 1000x more impressive than anything Arrowhead or Pearl Abyss have ever done.

Last edited:

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Ember Labs created one of the best 3D action platformers in the last decade….with a team of 12 employees…. Need I say more? Kena Bridge of Spirits looks, runs, and plays better than 99% of AAA games released. Thats 1000x more impressive than anything Arrowhead or Pearl Abyss have ever done.
I definitely agree they need more indies under their umbrella considering those devs actually care about the quality and replayability in the games they put out.

Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ember Lab and Sony have a great relationship already. They would be a cheap and valuable buy as they are right now.

They put out one of the best looking games on the ps5, year one
I would always see Xbox fanboys tagging Sarah Bond and Phil under some of their tweets 😭 I really really really hope Sony doesn't let this one get away. If Xbox bought Pearl Abyss tomorrow, I couldn't care less, but losing Ember Lab would be soul crushing