Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If MS really becomes a third party publisher as it seems then more than ever Sony should focus on quality over just big/popular ones.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If MS really becomes a third party publisher as it seems then more than ever Sony should focus on quality over just big/popular ones.
Yep like Ember Lab but with MS gone they don't really need to acquire ANYTHING. I just hope they realize PC is their only competitor now when it comes to AAA games.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
SSM game director at Neowiz 👀

I'd so love to see Sony team up with these guys. After all they gave us the best game of 2023. Hopefully SSM are recruiting them since they plan to open up back their 3rd party arm of the company 😅.

Now I'm back to reality.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Nope I think they still should acquire one big company with iconic and popular IPs. You never know how the market changes or which trends appears. Not only Microsoft is a danger but other companies like Tencent, Disney and Saudis too. It’s about securing yourself and your business interest once and for all. Sony needs to acquire imo at least someone like Square Enix. I can’t imagine a PlayStation without Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. Also investing in key partners like Capcom and Bandai in buying a good chunks of shares. This is exactly what have been talking for months, there is no guarantee partner xy doesn’t get bought by other party.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nope I think they still should acquire one big company with iconic and popular IPs. You never know how the market changes or which trends appears. Not only Microsoft is a danger but other companies like Tencent, Disney and Saudis too. It’s about securing yourself and your business interest once and for all. Sony needs to acquire imo at least someone like Square Enix. I can’t imagine a PlayStation without Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. Also investing in key partners like Capcom and Bandai in buying a good chunks of shares. This is exactly what have been talking for months, there is no guarantee partner xy doesn’t get bought by other party.
I'm all for these Japanese publishers, Capcom and SE to me are top tier when it comes to quality.

EA, Ubisoft and the likes would only add bloat and change their identity. Bungie already did enough damage.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sega also said that they're focusing on multiplatform development, which sort of contradicts the buyout hypothesis unless the owner was 3rd party. Even Era is starting to doubt that they'll get bought.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sega also said that they're focusing on multiplatform development, which sort of contradicts the buyout hypothesis unless the owner was 3rd party. Even Era is starting to doubt that they'll get bought.
Well, Sony, MS or Nintendo could buy Sega and to keep them as multiplatform publisher.

See Mojang, Zenimax, ABK or Bungie.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Yep like Ember Lab but with MS gone they don't really need to acquire ANYTHING. I just hope they realize PC is their only competitor now when it comes to AAA games.
Yes long term PC is there comp, more console casual is transitioning going to PC or buying a PC at an early age due to influencers putting games on PC even 1 year or 2 undermine that. Live service should be the only games going multiplat PS, PC & Mobile.

Prior to MS seemly going full multiplat I would say Sony would have to secure Take 2 to compete but now w Xbox going full multiplat Sony just had to secure Capcom & Square Enix they can either fully buy Capcom & take a major investment in Square Enix like (40%) similar to Tencent & Epic games. & for Mobile Sony could acquire Mihoyo unless Xbox backtracks multiplat or if long term cloud is a threat if long term cloud is the future like 20 30 years theoretically COD & every ip under Xbox would be exclusive to Xbox cloud subscription they might wana acquire Take 2 combat that future but that’s so far ahead it probably won’t matter Xbox would probably be dead

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sony should buy the dragon quest ip if they fully buy Squard Enix or buy major shares, control of ip is important & whoever has strong ip will remain in the content war

Reactions: Diah

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
OK, I really don't think so we'll see. But on the off chance that Sony does end up buying them, I bet they'd still be a multiplat publisher and still put games on Nintendo and PC. In which case, it would be an awful acquisition in my book. Just like Bungie was a waste.
I don’t think Sony next acquisition or publisher acquisition would remain multiplat like they need to bolster there first party heavily & having more exclusives then ever, even as a ps fan & as good as they seem w MS buying 4 publishers & other major players looking to buy a publisher Sony is looking spooky if they don’t make a move in 2024

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yes long term PC is there comp, more console casual is transitioning going to PC or buying a PC at an early age due to influencers putting games on PC even 1 year or 2 undermine that. Live service should be the only games going multiplat PS, PC & Mobile.

Prior to MS seemly going full multiplat I would say Sony would have to secure Take 2 to compete but now w Xbox going full multiplat Sony just had to secure Capcom & Square Enix they can either fully buy Capcom & take a major investment in Square Enix like (40%) similar to Tencent & Epic games. & for Mobile Sony could acquire Mihoyo unless Xbox backtracks multiplat or if long term cloud is a threat if long term cloud is the future like 20 30 years theoretically COD & every ip under Xbox would be exclusive to Xbox cloud subscription they might wana acquire Take 2 combat that future but that’s so far ahead it probably won’t matter Xbox would probably be dead
Take 2 seems too far fetched

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Looking at how MS acquisition of Bethesda, Activision and Blizzard is going I don't think buying any western publisher would be a good idea for Sony. Even just Bungie seems to have been a mistake.

Japanese publisher are a lot more interesting but individual devs are even better. PlayStation needs to reassess the idea that it's only worthy to them to produce AAA games, that is how we ended up with a year like 2023 with pretty much just a single release (not counting the VR game).

Looking at the recent sales leaked numbers it's and how well Drive Club sold it's pretty obvious Sony should have an arcade racing series to take the wind out of Xbox even further. They should try to put that studio back together.

At least Sony owns Naruto now.
A Gran Turismo open world like Midnight Club

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Some of us want them to because we know that at least that way there's no risk of losing access for certain franchises to MS.
I just want Sony to buy Square Enix & use Geno & the characters own by SE in Mario RPG including the blue Yoshi dino “Boshi” to troll Nintendo. Name the be franchise “Geno Super Adventure”

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75 and Diah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Something with a big fighting game pedigree.

From the recent slides we've seen, I think they want a big fighter.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
You know I changed my mind about take two interactive
I think sony should buy epic games
That acquisition will help sony in their gaas strategy imo

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
You know I changed my mind about take two interactive
I think sony should buy epic games
That acquisition will help sony in their gaas strategy imo
Epic doesn’t need or want a full Sony ownership, both parties are fine with their current partnership.