Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

24 Jun 2022
They could do something truly incredible with all the IPs Aniplex has access to and even Sony's connections with Marvel.

I would love to see a fighting game with Marvel characters.

Only if it were something like Marvel vs. Demon Slayer or some other anime series. And, preferably, not a Marvel side tied to the MCU the way MvC: Infinite was. I'd want something more timeless, in that respect.

ArcSys x Aniplex collab make it happen Sony

It does seem that way. I think the fighting genre could use a big shakeup in terms of a game that can break beyond current limitations with market appeals, and hopefully without watering down the mechanics or artistic appeal (or doing stupid censorship like with R.Mika's buttslap in SFV). But IP like Street Fighter & Tekken, and MK, are too entrenched in their defined systems to probably make that happen.

Something with real team-based battle mechanics (like actually allowing multiple people on the same team to fight battles simultaneously and share certain resources & combo abilities) would be a good start. Maybe they could get some characters from Kadokawa anime/manga in there, too. Overlord seems like it's owned by them, I'd like characters like Albedo in such a game.

Imagine a team with Albedo, Rogue, and Walter White 😂

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
They could do something truly incredible with all the IPs Aniplex has access to and even Sony's connections with Marvel.

I would love to see a fighting game with Marvel characters.
A 2D Marvel fighter & a 2D Demon Slayer fighter would be easy success & great live services another option would be to make a 3D platform fighter using PS, Sony Movies, Sony Anime IP (reboot PS allstars) would be epic & give smash a worthy comp, it could be there staple for EVO the problem Arc doesn’t has experience in 3D platform fighter & the only publisher w expertise & a good relationship is Capcom w Banda Namco likely not interested as they already make Smash for Nintendo.

I keep saying Sony will buy Capcom if they were to buy a publisher it covers a ton of ground EVO/fighting scene synergy, strong ip for expansion 2 prominent live service (SF + MH),VR expertise. The grandfather of PS has been seen w the CEO of Capcom many time the past few month & years seems like they have a good relationship. Sony will make a heavy investment in Square Enix, Square Enix just doesn’t have the expertise & expansion potential as Capcom. No major expertise/ip in mobile, no VR expertise/ip synergy (FF & DQ would be weird in VR but maybe potential?), no EVO fighting integration synergies. Major ip they don’t own Kindom Hearts & Dragon Quest would have to figure how to buy DQ off the original owners (maybe hard) leaving Final Fantasy & Neir with smaller titles with a lot of potential (this would just help Sony core with little expansion) full acquisition would only be needed if they wanted to directly compete w Nintendo in Japan which again would have to atleast buy off & own DQ or they are afraid of loosing SE.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
At this rate Sony should buy Asus, Gigabyte or Lenovo and triple down on PC. :ROFLMAO:
those would be a big waste of money, hardware oem/partners don't really make that much in profits, for example ASUS operates on like ~5% operating margin, and it's really expensive in terms of R&D investment in a saturated market. Lenovo too is low single digit% OM

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Bit leftfield but... Hasbro.

Think about it.

Only about 6 billion. Look at what you get.
If you want toys, instead of Hasbro I'd get Bandai Namco instead. Bandai Namco has the game, toys and figurines rights for a ton of popular manga and anime IPs and is the 2nd toy company in the world after Lego (a few years ago was the top 1).

Hasbro has a market cap of 6.71B, Bandai Namco 13.7B.

More expensive, but has gaming IPs like Tekken, Elden Ring, Dark Souls, Tales, Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Digimon, Pac-Man, Ace Combat, Klonoa, Rolling Thunder, Xenosaga, Katamari, Tamagotchi... Regarding anime IPs for games has Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Sailor Moon, Gundam, Wangan Midnight, Sword Art Online, Super Robot Wars, Sand Land... IPs they can milk or can use their experience there to also adapt to games Sony anime IPs.

But yes, Hasbro would be a great deal too. You get Transformers, GI Joe, Power Rangers, Wizards of the Coast (Magic, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon Trading Card Game, meaning they could use Sony IPs to make TCGs), Action Man, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony, Furby, M.A.S.K., Nerf, Play-Doh, Trolls plus toys of Fortnite, Overwatch, Pokemon, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Marvel Legends, Sesame Street, the Kenner stuff, Star Trek, Star Wars, WWF, Yo-Kai watch... or board games like Trivial Pursuit, Risk, Operation, Monopoly, Guess Who?, Battleship, Cluedo, Twister, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Jenga and more.

Many of these IPs may sound random, but as an example Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit are to casual IPs that performs great in mobile gaming.

Hasbro is a top, classic player in the toys, trading card games or board games markets, so could do a great job adapting there many Sony IPs (not only from games). Plus also has many great IPs to use in gaming (some in console, some in mobile) or in cinema, tv shows or even potential tv game/quiz shows (stuff like Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Cluedo, etc).

But well, if we're dreaming, how about getting both? They'd dominate not only gaming, but also toys, figurines, board games, pen & paper RPGs and TCGs plus they'd bump even more their movies/tv show/anime divisions even more.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If you want toys, instead of Hasbro I'd get Bandai Namco instead. Bandai Namco has the game, toys and figurines rights for a ton of popular manga and anime IPs and is the 2nd toy company in the world after Lego (a few years ago was the top 1).

Hasbro has a market cap of 6.71B, Bandai Namco 13.7B.

More expensive, but has gaming IPs like Tekken, Elden Ring, Dark Souls, Tales, Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Digimon, Pac-Man, Ace Combat, Klonoa, Rolling Thunder, Xenosaga, Katamari, Tamagotchi... Regarding anime IPs for games has Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Sailor Moon, Gundam, Wangan Midnight, Sword Art Online, Super Robot Wars, Sand Land... IPs they can milk or can use their experience there to also adapt to games Sony anime IPs.

But yes, Hasbro would be a great deal too. You get Transformers, GI Joe, Power Rangers, Wizards of the Coast (Magic, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon Trading Card Game, meaning they could use Sony IPs to make TCGs), Action Man, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony, Furby, M.A.S.K., Nerf, Play-Doh, Trolls plus toys of Fortnite, Overwatch, Pokemon, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Marvel Legends, Sesame Street, the Kenner stuff, Star Trek, Star Wars, WWF, Yo-Kai watch... or board games like Trivial Pursuit, Risk, Operation, Monopoly, Guess Who?, Battleship, Cluedo, Twister, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Jenga and more.

Many of these IPs may sound random, but as an example Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit are to casual IPs that performs great in mobile gaming.

Hasbro is a top, classic player in the toys, trading card games or board games markets, so could do a great job adapting there many Sony IPs (not only from games). Plus also has many great IPs to use in gaming (some in console, some in mobile) or in cinema, tv shows or even potential tv game/quiz shows (stuff like Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, Cluedo, etc).

But well, if we're dreaming, how about getting both? They'd dominate not only gaming, but also toys, figurines, board games, pen & paper RPGs and TCGs plus they'd bump even more their movies/tv show/anime divisions even more.

Exactly, I'm glad you understood what I was getting at.

Excellent IPs that can be applied to AAA and mobile.

As well as benefitting the movies and TV side of Sony.

Of course, you're right about Namco too, I didn't see that they were such a good deal. 13b is a great price for them.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Who owns the gaming rights of Blade Runner? A Blade Runner game by ND would be a dream in terms of visuals.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Exactly, I'm glad you understood what I was getting at.

Excellent IPs that can be applied to AAA and mobile.

As well as benefitting the movies and TV side of Sony.

Of course, you're right about Namco too, I didn't see that they were such a good deal. 13b is a great price for them.
Bandai Namco is also the top grossing Japanese 3rd party publisher. Plus they are big in mobile too, they're I think around top 10 in mobile.

• fire

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Day 1 PC releases like the CEO said is the future, their own store like Ubisoftconnect and EA

Square-Enix can now be free from consoles jail and make extra money on PC with day 1 simultaneous title releases on console, it's SE's only way to get bigger than Capcom/Konami because Namoc Bandai is on another level sales wise, That is if SE can dodge Sony exclusivity contracts and add PC day 1 release.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Day 1 PC releases like the CEO said is the future, their own store like Ubisoftconnect and EA

Square-Enix can now be free from consoles jail and make extra money on PC with day 1 simultaneous title releases on console, it's SE's only way to get bigger than Capcom/Konami because Namoc Bandai is on another level sales wise, That is if SE can dodge Sony exclusivity contracts and add PC day 1 release.
Day 1?

They ll have really hard time explaining how s same game 80 euros on ps5 and 60 on pc.
i doubt pc user ll pay 80.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446

Where did he specifically say day one?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

He never said day 1, he also mentioned cloud, console and mobile but not pc at one stage in the interview.

Considering the poor sales on pc, mobile might have become a priority over pc.

• thisistheway
Reactions: anonpuffs and Umar