Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Since Hiroki Totoki said it on their Investor Call, I have high hope this merger might happen after all the discourse.

"Popular IP is very expensive and competitive, we need to acquire them at the right value..."

Square Enix is valued at insane $3.65B!!!
This is exactly what matches Totoki's recently stated words.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Since Hiroki Totoki said it on their Investor Call, I have high hope this merger might happen after all the discourse.

"Popular IP is very expensive and competitive, we need to acquire them at the right value..."

Their AAA titles are so high quality and their big IPs have huge cross media potential.

FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth have been some of the best games this gen.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Xbox as a console is going away and most of these type of games never hit Nintendo platforms. Sony has already embraced PC.

Going forward the money sony would spend on exclusivity is going to be spent on acquisitions and profit margin.

If they bought FromSoftware, their games would still hit PC (perhaps at a later date) but they would absolutely foreclose against Xbox, with not much lost.

And we'll see when/if they have a PC storefront if they go exclusive with it.
Yeah I don't think that would be smart to do.

Keep a multiplatform IP multiplatform.

If Xbox hardware exists release it there, unless it's like a handheld or something.

& release it on PC day 1, otherwise you're basically just hindering fromsoft and it's long built fans. It wouldn't be a good situation at all.

While IPs that aren't multiplatform can still be exclusive.

If you want timed exclusives before they hit PC years and years later, that's what PS studios are for.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Square Enix isn't worth anything at this point. Certainly not 3.65 billion plus premium. They're struggling to even maintain profitability. You couldn't buy them without supporting the Switch if you wanted to keep them profitable. They don't even own Kingdom Hearts their 3rd largest franchise, which belongs to Disney.

Their AAA titles are so high quality and their big IPs have huge cross media potential.

They've never shown any real cross media potential. There are other similarly valued companies with significantly more value. This continues to be a fanboy dream from the late 90s early 2000s. They aren't the same company they used to be.

Yeah I don't think that would be smart to do.

Keep a multiplatform IP multiplatform.

If Xbox hardware exists release it there, unless it's like a handheld or something.

& release it on PC day 1, otherwise you're basically just hindering fromsoft and it's long built fans. It wouldn't be a good situation at all.

While IPs that aren't multiplatform can still be exclusive.

If you want timed exclusives before they hit PC years and years later, that's what PS studios are for.

Saying something doesn't make it an argument.

The revenue gained on Xbox isn't worth it, hence why they would foreclose. Maybe it would be different if it was a GaaS game, but single player... no, if they bought FromSoftware there is ZERO chance their games would continue to hit Xbox.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
At this point Ubi-Soft is a better buy than Square Enix.

XDefiant could be massive and they already have Rainbox Six Siege.

Single player you get Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed.

You give Watch Dogs a Cyberpunk like budget... throw in farcry and ghost recon..

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
At this point Ubi-Soft is a better buy than Square Enix.

XDefiant could be massive and they already have Rainbox Six Siege.

Single player you get Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed.

You give Watch Dogs a Cyberpunk like budget... throw in farcry and ghost recon..
Ubisoft has like 30,000 employees and alot of misses. They way they operate as well, the employees will be replaced as soon as AI gets going on their formula style

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Can you for once stop whining about Square Enix? Nobody here cares what you think about Square. The majority loves Square Enix here. If Sony wants to buy them, nobody can stop them except Square themselves.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Can you for once stop whining about Square Enix? Nobody here cares what you think about Square. The majority loves Square Enix here. If Sony wants to buy them, nobody can stop them except Square themselves.

I like Square Enix more than you do. I'm just not a child and don't think a company should be purchased simply because of how I feel about them historically.

• haha
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What Assasins Creed? That's literally their only major success of a franchise. Even then it's the same hive mind of the Call Of Duty franchise.

Assassin's Creed
Xdefiant
Rainbow Six Siege
Ghost Recon
FarCry
Just Dance
Watch Dogs
Splinter Cell
The Division

That's a lot more to work with than Square Enix

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I like Square Enix more than you do. I'm just not a child and don't think a company should be purchased simply because of how I feel about them historically.
Highly doubt it that you like Square Enix more than anyone here. You're simply a hater, who constantly bash against Square Enix. Just for being miserable I would grant it to you Sony buying Square Enix.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Highly doubt it that you like Square Enix more than anyone here. You're simply a hater, who constantly bash against Square Enix. Just for being miserable I would grant it to you Sony buying Square Enix.

When I was a kid I used to play Square Enix games that weren't imported to the US via emulation and language patches. Some games you just had to play in Japanese because no language patch was available.

Did you play Seiken Densetsu 3? Bahamut Lagoon?

Did you buy Dirge of Cerberus despite it being a trash game, but starring your favorite character in FF7? Who happens to be my avatar, and one that I've rocked in different variations since the late 90s early 2000s...

Get out of here son

• haha
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
When I was a kid I used to play Square Enix games that weren't imported to the US via emulation and language patches. Some games you just had to play in Japanese because no language patch was available.

Did you play Seiken Densetsu 3? Bahamut Lagoon?

Did you buy Dirge of Cerberus despite it being a trash game, but starring your favorite character in FF7? Who happens to be my avatar, and one that I've rocked in different variations since the late 90s early 2000s...

Get out of here son
And what's supposed to prove?
You may be a Square Enix fan, but definitely not fan of PS. You always come with the worst suggestions like Ubisoft. Which normal PS fan (if into Japanese games or not) wishes garbage like Ubisoft. What's your next suggestion, EA?
I am certain only a non PS fan, like a Nintendo or PC fan wishes Sony to buy garbage devs like Ubisoft.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

FF16 Max live action tv show & FF7 Netflix live action tv show

FF9 Netflix animated show

Neir, Xenogears, Chrono trigger

The real bread winner is acquiring Square Enix having the studio that makes DQ games & acquiring the Dragon Quest franchise so Sony can make DQ animated films similar to the DBZ films which have been high success.

Square Enix & Kadokawa/Fromsoft are really the no brainer for there price you get some strong synergies & strong iconic ip in gaming that can also be translated & be massive in films.

Notable studios Level5, Player first game, Arc System Work

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Kadokawa would hold the most weight.

It would be the most effective IF they made their games fully exclusive.

Squqre is a deal right now and important for remaining relevant in Japan.
Agree fully permanent exclusive fromsoft games will bend the knees of PC players to make alot of them to buy PS console.

Thoe considering PS port there games this will not be effective. PC players will wait

Sony does needs to bolster its first party Japanese/Asia content or they’ll get left behind by Nintendo.

I don’t think they will acquire Capcom, Capcom games lean western with really only Monster Hunter being massive in Japan.

Square Enix would be a decent buy but they would have to acquire the Dragon Quest franchises otherwise I don’t believe Square Enix alone is enough to remain relevant in Japan/Asia.

Sega would be bad they would be cheap & they have a family universal ip w Sonic that’s has traditional games, mobile games & is expanding into movies & animation aswell as parks. So Sonic could be Sony Mario like character but smaller in relevance. Sega also has Rovio/Angry Birds & seems to have a heavy mobile push using its legacy ip. Sega also owns Persona, Yakuza & Jet Set Radio some notable fun game franchises w potential to crossover with tv shows, animation & parks

All 3 have there strengths in Japan/Asia

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And what's supposed to prove?
You may be a Square Enix fan, but definitely not fan of PS. You always come with the worst suggestions like Ubisoft. Which normal PS fan (if into Japanese games or not) wishes garbage like Ubisoft. What's your next suggestion, EA?
I am certain only a non PS fan, like a Nintendo or PC fan wishes Sony to buy garbage devs like Ubisoft.

Guess how many Ubi Soft games I own on PS5? Zero.

It's not a matter of whether I'm a fan of Ubi Soft or not. From a business perspective, they make a lot of sense because they give you scale and variety in areas you're lacking and you can get them for dirt cheap.

That's the primary different between your takes and my takes. I look at it from a business perspective and you're just a fanboy. By your own admission, your own takes are based on what you're a fan of.

Let's actually take a look at EA. You'll notice I've never suggested Sony should buy EA on any forum. Why? Because they're super expensive and I thnk the company is about to be in serious decline. Failures of Battlefield and Medal of Honor, losing the FIFA license which will eventually result in erosion of their EA FC sales when a proper competitor arises. There are a lot of better things to buy for what you'd end up paying for EA. 36.11 billion dollar market cap, with premium you're looking at between 45 to 55 billion with no real long term IP. Most of everything they have is licensed. The only real IPs of value are The Sims, SimCity, and maybe Mass Effect with some transmedia boosting.

What Sony should buy has nothing to do with what I'm personally a fan of. What a silly way of thinking.

• haha

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Square Enix & Kadokawa/Fromsoft are really the no brainer for there price you get some strong synergies & strong iconic ip in gaming that can also be translated & be massive in films.

I think it's a no brainer, but the part that would actually give me pause IS the price.

It's a very expensive company tied so much in one individual. They have a pretty long track record at this point, but it's also a really narrow field in terms of who they sell to.

Their lack of success with SIE needs to be contrasted with their success with Namco Bandai as well.

I'm not sure they have much transmedia potential either.