Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
They're still paying off bungie.

They've bought a ton of studios already & they already doubled or tripled those studios' headcount.

Hiroki and Yoshida said: we want to utilize those investments that we have made in the past mid year plans.

They expanded: the past mid terms plans were for growth for future, the current mid term plan is utilizing those investments.

- - - - [My thoughts]

When do I think they will make acquisitions?

- Bungie paid off (will likely take 5 quarters) there's about 350 million USD left & they said that it's going to reduce by 20-30% each quarter.

- they said them selves they will bolster aggressive M&A in entertainment after spinning off finance business. (Which is oct, 2025)

- Cash returns from projects that are currently midway, they're going to release like 10+ movies and several games by the end of 2025.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The dream acquisition would be kadokawa, realistic one they should chase is Konami but honestly they are better off investing in new IP's and partnering with 3rd parties for publishing

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They're still paying off bungie.
They expanded: the past mid terms plans were for growth for future, the current mid term plan is utilizing those investments.

- - - - [My thoughts]

When do I think they will make acquisitions?

- Bungie paid off (will likely take 5 quarters) there's about 350 million USD left & they said that it's going to reduce by 20-30% each quarter.

- they said them selves they will bolster aggressive M&A in entertainment after spinning off finance business. (Which is oct, 2025)

- Cash returns from projects that are currently midway, they're going to release like 10+ movies and several games by the end of 2025.

No, the Bungie acquisition was already completed and paid with cash from a budget they had for acquisitions.

What they are paying now, for Bungie and the rest of their recent acquisitions are "acquisition related costs": retention bonuses, hiring more people for them to grow them to the desired point, maybe to enlarge or modify their offices to fit this people, integration courses/meetings/trips/etc.

Totoki said these "acquisition related costs" will start to ease out in the current FY24.

They've bought a ton of studios already & they already doubled or tripled those studios' headcount.

Hiroki and Yoshida said: we want to utilize those investments that we have made in the past mid year plans.
Yes, in the last 6 years they acquired many studios and also grew them not only these but also the rest of the teams, having now way more people working, meaning more development costs.

AAA games take 5-9 years to be made, so all these new teams and people won't be generating revenue or profit just when acquired: they need time to see their first game released. In many cases will be during the current mid-term plan (3 years period).

In almost all these cases, they made investments on these teams and obviously the results of such investments take some time to start to show the results.

As an example, Bungie, Firewalk, Housemarque or Haven will release their first new game being Sony studios in these 3 years period. Bungie keeps generating a great yearly revenue of maybe around a couple hundred million dollars per year, but the revenue they generate will skyrocket with the Marathon release.

Meaning, until now most of the growth investments they did in the last 3 (or 6) years are causing to have more development costs than before but still aren't showing more revenue than before because still didn't have time to release their first game. Starting this 3 years mid-term plan they'll start releasing their first games, so will start generating way more revenue/profit.

After all this massive growth (SIE became maybe 4x or 5x as big in headcount as they were before 2019) they did cut some fat, something also useful to compensate the profitability lost with the unexpected extra high hardware component prices.

Pretty likely all this process of new teams integration and consolidation, to complete paying their acquisition related costs and see their first games being released will be completed somewhere around or soon after they sell 80% of their banks division around October 2025. At the same time, until then Sony will continue porting old games to PC and releasing more GaaS and related DLC that will generate a ton of money (Helldivers 2, Concord, Marathon...). They also have like 10 adaptations in the works, so they'll release some in this period. This period will also see MS porting more and more games to PS, further killing the Xbox revenue share so increasing the PS one. All these things will generate extra revenue and profits for SIE.

So the optimal point to start making (big) gaming acquisitions would be starting late 2025/ early 2026 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerFang

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think sony will probably acquire arrowhead. Maybe theyll invest in a publisher for closer ties but theyll never buy one IMO. Speaking of, i wonder whatever happened to that lawyer they specially hired to navigate large acquisitions?

I wonder if the plan initially was to buy SE and/or EA (Remember EA split into two companies around last summer?) but MS basically told sony they were going to go third party and start porting games so sonys plan changed and thats why theyre now spending big on the Movie division? That makes the most sense IMO.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
No, the Bungie acquisition was already completed and paid with cash from a budget they had for acquisitions.

What they are paying now, for Bungie and the rest of their recent acquisitions are "acquisition related costs": retention bonuses, hiring more people for them to grow them to the desired point, maybe to enlarge or modify their offices to fit this people, integration courses/meetings/trips/etc.

Totoki said these "acquisition related costs" will start to ease out in the current FY24.

Yes, in the last 6 years they acquired many studios and also grew them not only these but also the rest of the teams, having now way more people working, meaning more development costs.

AAA games take 5-9 years to be made, so all these new teams and people won't be generating revenue or profit just when acquired: they need time to see their first game released. In many cases will be during the current mid-term plan (3 years period).

In almost all these cases, they made investments on these teams and obviously the results of such investments take some time to start to show the results.

As an example, Bungie, Firewalk, Housemarque or Haven will release their first new game being Sony studios in these 3 years period. Bungie keeps generating a great yearly revenue of maybe around a couple hundred million dollars per year, but the revenue they generate will skyrocket with the Marathon release.

Meaning, until now most of the growth investments they did in the last 3 (or 6) years are causing to have more development costs than before but still aren't showing more revenue than before because still didn't have time to release their first game. Starting this 3 years mid-term plan they'll start releasing their first games, so will start generating way more revenue/profit.

After all this massive growth (SIE became maybe 4x or 5x as big in headcount as they were before 2019) they did cut some fat, something also useful to compensate the profitability lost with the unexpected extra high hardware component prices.

Pretty likely all this process of new teams integration and consolidation, to complete paying their acquisition related costs and see their first games being released will be completed somewhere around or soon after they sell 80% of their banks division around October 2025. At the same time, until then Sony will continue porting old games to PC and releasing more GaaS and related DLC that will generate a ton of money (Helldivers 2, Concord, Marathon...). They also have like 10 adaptations in the works, so they'll release some in this period. This period will also see MS porting more and more games to PS, further killing the Xbox revenue share so increasing the PS one. All these things will generate extra revenue and profits for SIE.

So the optimal point to start making (big) gaming acquisitions would be starting late 2025/ early 2026 or so.
Yep same as well. Although I still think they will pay off those 300 million USD acquisition-related costs by 2026 before moving on to new ones.

By then as you reinforced they'll release many projects bringing financial flexibility to the studios and Sony Entertainment branches as a while.

On top of the 5-6 billion or so from selling 80% of the Insuarance & Sony Bank,

We will likely see a few big acquisitions in 2026 and beyond, similar to EMI publishing, Crunchyroll, Bungie, and a bunch of smaller acquisitions.

I hate when people fail to see the fact that all the studios grew so damn much in headcount & only just focus on the 900 layoffs.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Kadokawa would hold the most weight.

It would be the most effective IF they made their games fully exclusive.

Squqre is a deal right now and important for remaining relevant in Japan.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yep same as well. Although I still think they will pay off those 300 million USD acquisition-related costs by 2026 before moving on to new ones.

By then as you reinforced they'll release many projects bringing financial flexibility to the studios and Sony Entertainment branches as a while.

On top of the 5-6 billion or so from selling 80% of the Insuarance & Sony Bank,

We will likely see a few big acquisitions in 2026 and beyond, similar to EMI publishing, Crunchyroll, Bungie, and a bunch of smaller acquisitions.

I hate when people fail to see the fact that all the studios grew so damn much in headcount & only just focus on the 900 layoffs.
Yep. As an example Bungie were 800+ people when announced the acquisition back in January 2022, and now should be around 1500/1600:
image.png

Reactions: TigerFang

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Looking for Sony possible acquisitions I looked into Universal Music Group. :eek:

Could someone here explain to me why Sony's market cap is so low in comparison to UMG? On the surface it makes absolutely no sense to me. Sony music alone seem very comparable to UMG, yet UMG alone is worth half of the entire Sony group.

Seems like either Sony is severely undervalued or UMG is absurdly overvalued, something is really off.

MS spent around $100B on Xbox and Sony easily kicked them out of the console market without even sweating and the PlayStation division remain bigger, more profitable and much better positioned than MS gaming division yet Sony isn't even $100B.

This shit makes me want to pile on Sony stock, they have absolutely no hype behind them despite being on many sectors that are hot right now. Is Sony leadership just so bad that people refuse to bet on them?

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Looking for Sony possible acquisitions I looked into Universal Music Group. :eek:

Could someone here explain to me why Sony's market cap is so low in comparison to UMG? On the surface is makes absolutely no sense to me. Sony music alone seem very comparable to UMG, yet UMG alone is worth half of the entire Sony group.

Seems like either Sony is severely undervalued or UMG is absurdly overvalued, something is really off.

MS spent around $100B on Xbox and Sony easily kicked them out of the console market without even sweating and the PlayStation division remain bigger, more profitable and much better positioned than MS gaming division yet Sony isn't even $100B.

This shit makes me want to pile on Sony stock, they have absolutely no hype behind them despite being on many sectors that are hot right now. Is Sony leadership just so bad that people refuse to bet on them?

We are considering making a Sony investor club here in due time. It might get us more of a voice as PlayStation fans.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Could someone here explain to me why Sony's market cap is so low in comparison to UMG? On the surface is makes absolutely no sense to me. Sony music alone seem very comparable to UMG, yet UMG alone is worth half of the entire Sony group.

The stock market has not made sense in quite a while. As an example, Tesla is worth more than the biggest auto companies in the world and doesn't even have the lead in self-driving technology anymore (in fact, they have been surpassed by several other brands).

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I decided to ask chatGPT;

From a strategic point of view, identifying the best acquisition target for Sony would involve considering several factors such as market expansion, technological enhancement, content acquisition, and synergy with existing business units. Here are a few potential targets across different sectors that could strategically benefit Sony:

1. Gaming Industry:

FromSoftware

• Reasoning: Acquiring FromSoftware, the developers behind the popular "Dark Souls" series and "Elden Ring," would bolster Sony’s portfolio of exclusive and critically acclaimed games, further strengthening the PlayStation brand.
  • Synergy: This would complement Sony’s existing first-party studios, enhancing its reputation for high-quality, immersive gaming experiences.

Take-Two Interactive

• Reasoning: Owning Take-Two Interactive would give Sony access to some of the biggest franchises in gaming, including "Grand Theft Auto" and "Red Dead Redemption."
  • Synergy: This acquisition would not only provide a wealth of popular IPs but also a robust pipeline of upcoming titles, ensuring a steady stream of exclusive content for the PlayStation ecosystem.

2. Entertainment & Media:

A24

• Reasoning: A24 is renowned for its innovative and critically acclaimed films. Acquiring this studio would enhance Sony Pictures’ portfolio with a fresh and highly regarded catalog.
  • Synergy: The acquisition would bolster Sony’s prestige in the film industry and provide opportunities for cross-media projects, leveraging A24’s unique storytelling in gaming and streaming services.

Lionsgate

• Reasoning: Lionsgate owns valuable franchises such as "John Wick" and "The Hunger Games." Acquiring Lionsgate would give Sony access to these lucrative properties.
  • Synergy: This move would enhance Sony’s content library for its film and television divisions, as well as provide content for Sony’s streaming services.

3. Technology & Hardware:

AMD

• Reasoning: Acquiring AMD, a leading semiconductor company, would give Sony greater control over its hardware technology, particularly for the PlayStation consoles.
  • Synergy: This acquisition could result in cost efficiencies, better integration of hardware and software, and a competitive edge in gaming console performance.

Discord

• Reasoning: Discord is a popular communication platform among gamers. Acquiring Discord would enhance Sony’s community engagement and communication tools within the PlayStation Network.
  • Synergy: This acquisition would allow Sony to integrate Discord’s features into its gaming ecosystem, improving social features and engagement for players.

4. Music Industry:

Spotify

• Reasoning: Acquiring Spotify, the leading music streaming service, would expand Sony’s presence in the digital music space and provide a powerful platform for distributing Sony Music’s vast catalog.
  • Synergy: This move would create opportunities for bundled services, exclusive content, and integrated music experiences across Sony’s diverse product lineup.

Conclusion:​

Among these options, FromSoftware and Take-Two Interactive in the gaming sector could be the most strategically beneficial due to Sony’s strong focus on the PlayStation ecosystem. Both acquisitions would enhance Sony’s gaming portfolio, secure exclusive content, and drive long-term growth. Additionally, acquiring Discord would significantly improve Sony’s social and community features in gaming, fostering greater user engagement and loyalty.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

From a strategic point of view, identifying the best acquisition target for Sony would involve considering several factors such as market expansion, technological enhancement, content acquisition, and synergy with existing business units. Here are a few potential targets across different sectors that could strategically benefit Sony:

1. Gaming Industry:

FromSoftware

• Reasoning: Acquiring FromSoftware, the developers behind the popular "Dark Souls" series and "Elden Ring," would bolster Sony’s portfolio of exclusive and critically acclaimed games, further strengthening the PlayStation brand.
  • Synergy: This would complement Sony’s existing first-party studios, enhancing its reputation for high-quality, immersive gaming experiences.

Take-Two Interactive

• Reasoning: Owning Take-Two Interactive would give Sony access to some of the biggest franchises in gaming, including "Grand Theft Auto" and "Red Dead Redemption."
  • Synergy: This acquisition would not only provide a wealth of popular IPs but also a robust pipeline of upcoming titles, ensuring a steady stream of exclusive content for the PlayStation ecosystem.

A24

• Reasoning: A24 is renowned for its innovative and critically acclaimed films. Acquiring this studio would enhance Sony Pictures’ portfolio with a fresh and highly regarded catalog.
  • Synergy: The acquisition would bolster Sony’s prestige in the film industry and provide opportunities for cross-media projects, leveraging A24’s unique storytelling in gaming and streaming services.

Lionsgate

• Reasoning: Lionsgate owns valuable franchises such as "John Wick" and "The Hunger Games." Acquiring Lionsgate would give Sony access to these lucrative properties.
  • Synergy: This move would enhance Sony’s content library for its film and television divisions, as well as provide content for Sony’s streaming services.

AMD

• Reasoning: Acquiring AMD, a leading semiconductor company, would give Sony greater control over its hardware technology, particularly for the PlayStation consoles.
  • Synergy: This acquisition could result in cost efficiencies, better integration of hardware and software, and a competitive edge in gaming console performance.

Discord

• Reasoning: Discord is a popular communication platform among gamers. Acquiring Discord would enhance Sony’s community engagement and communication tools within the PlayStation Network.
  • Synergy: This acquisition would allow Sony to integrate Discord’s features into its gaming ecosystem, improving social features and engagement for players.

4. Music Industry:

Spotify

• Reasoning: Acquiring Spotify, the leading music streaming service, would expand Sony’s presence in the digital music space and provide a powerful platform for distributing Sony Music’s vast catalog.
  • Synergy: This move would create opportunities for bundled services, exclusive content, and integrated music experiences across Sony’s diverse product lineup.

Among these options, FromSoftware and Take-Two Interactive in the gaming sector could be the most strategically beneficial due to Sony’s strong focus on the PlayStation ecosystem. Both acquisitions would enhance Sony’s gaming portfolio, secure exclusive content, and drive long-term growth. Additionally, acquiring Discord would significantly improve Sony’s social and community features in gaming, fostering greater user engagement and loyalty.
Discord to make it their PC store front on makes perfect sense.

AMD is way too big for Sony these days but increasing their ties would be smart since they already work together so much.

Denuvo would be another great purchase, buy it and make it free for devs to use if the game is published in their store. :ROFLMAO:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

1. Gaming Industry:

FromSoftware

Take-Two Interactive

A24

Lionsgate

AMD

Discord

4. Music Industry:

Spotify

I think FromSoftware is basically a done deal. They already have a foot in the door. Pretty sure Elden Ring 2 will be exclusive to PS5 and maybe exclusive to a Sony PC storefront. It just makes too much sense now that they own the Elden Ring IP.

T2 makes the most sense long term, but would require a stock swap and would transform SIE as a business.

A24 is a great investment especially if they get Paramount. It would be the perfect balance between franchise and non franchise films.

Sony obviously can't afford larger AMD or even Spotify, but I think buying Tidal would allow them to create a superservice with Paramount+, PS+, and Crunchyroll that might rack up a lot of subscribers worldwide.

I don't think there is any real value with Discord unless you start looking at some serious integrations. I don't think you can really buy Discord without fundamentally changing who you are as a company. Discord is worth at least 15 billion dollars. That's a massive purchase without any real synergies.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I'd they do acquire them I would wish they'd keep the games that are multiplatform, multiplatform.

Rather they expand the studio & build New IPs if they want exclusives.

Not only would it garner a tremendous amount of hate if they made Dark Souls 4 or ER 2 exclusive, it would also be a horrible business decision.

Those games are built off of being multiplatform, & once people connect those great franchises with SIE, it would even garner more mindshare and postive emotional attachment to SIE.

Also it would be stooping down to the level of Xbox if they made Multiplatform IPs completely exclusive and also the value of the IP would diminish a bit.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Sony missed the boat on so many things in the last decade plus. They should be worth at least half a trillion dollars by now, but they lacked focus and execution.

This is why you hear Sony talk about how it needs to become more profitable. They're a little fish in a big pond, which is really dangerous. Normally Sony would be an acquisition target for a company like Disney who themselves is an acquisition target for a company like Apple, but Apple can't buy Disney today. Government regulation would stop that and Disney can't buy Sony because the Japanese government would never allow it.

The very things you've been arguing against for months are the things Sony needs to grow its valuation. Increasing their scale in the picture business, growing beyond the constraints of the console business and single player games.

Sony was selling lots of consoles because of hit AAA games, but they weren't making a ton of money, meanwhile Activision, EA, T2, and Epic were growing significantly on the strength of GaaS. Once again, Sony missed the boat.

The very things that you complain about Sony leadership are the things that will increase its valuation on the stock market.

If they buy Paramount Global but shutter P+ rather than find a way to make the most of it, they'll have squandered another opportunity to grow outside of their shell.

Sony's market cap is small because their vision is small. It's why I've said many times they need to merge with T2 (+Zynga). Time is of the essence in basically every market they're in. They started getting more aggressive in the last few years, but it might be too late. Had they become more aggressive pre pandemic, they could have grown immensely.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'd they do acquire them I would wish they'd keep the games that are multiplatform, multiplatform.

Rather they expand the studio & build New IPs if they want exclusives.

Not only would it garner a tremendous amount of hate if they made Dark Souls 4 or ER 2 exclusive, it would also be a horrible business decision.

Those games are built off of being multiplatform, & once people connect those great franchises with SIE, it would even garner more mindshare and postive emotional attachment to SIE.

Also it would be stooping down to the level of Xbox if they made Multiplatform IPs completely exclusive and also the value of the IP would diminish a bit.

Xbox as a console is going away and most of these type of games never hit Nintendo platforms. Sony has already embraced PC.

Going forward the money sony would spend on exclusivity is going to be spent on acquisitions and profit margin.

If they bought FromSoftware, their games would still hit PC (perhaps at a later date) but they would absolutely foreclose against Xbox, with not much lost.

And we'll see when/if they have a PC storefront if they go exclusive with it.