Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I love the smell of rumors from 4chan in the morning lol.

Lol. DQ III Remake will be probably timed-exclusive, if Nintendo has signed a contract before. DQ12 is probably Multi-platform. FF7 Rebirth will not come out before FF16 on PC lol. More like 2025 is realistic. If Kingdom Hearts would be Multi-platform, tvey would hsve dropped the platform's with the first trailer. Remember Disney and Sony have good relationship too, would be easy to get the game exclusive on console. I don't think the rumours about the Xbox ports are viable. FF14 bombed extremely hard on Xbox. There would be no ROI for XVI. As I know Sony they already signed a contract for FF17 being PS6 exclusive. Also Switch 2 will be too weak for XVII. Sounds like a lot of cope to me.

• thisistheway
Reactions: 2spooky5me

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I'm all for talent / people who have experience but SIE needs big more recognizable IPs that are a bit more multiplatform + exploring different genres.

These will not only attract more people from other competitive devices, but even just build mindshare among different consoles' over a IP they control.

Square Enix is absolutely perfect for this, they have DQ, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts. Especially now that reputable sources have said there's a IX remake, multiple DQ projects, as well as the entire Kingdom hearts games coming to switch 2.

Now unfortunately I don't think a major acquisition is possible until the Financial arm is spinned off which is going to happen at the end of 2025 & by that point the bungie acquisition will be paid off too.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
No Square Enix will fuck up Kingdom Hearts IV. 😭

Because of greed they possibly will screw up KHIV. Just so it runs on tbe dated Switch 2 hardware. Sony needs to stop being cheap and buy Square Enix.
I hope this Midori is wrong.

Reactions: Luffy123

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
No Square Enix will fuck up Kingdom Hearts IV. 😭

Because of greed they possibly will screw up KHIV. Just so it runs on tbe dated Switch 2 hardware. Sony needs to stop being cheap and buy Square Enix.
I hope this Midori is wrong.

I think if their able to get a good optimized port, it's a smart decision & I think switch 2 definitely has good performance combined with DLSS.

Though midori is a tier 1 leaker and ussually is very reliable & the source was also right that they were working on steam ports.

I just hope Sony can see the value in SE when they have enough money for acquisitions to buy them (post 2025).

Edit:

Also by the end of 2025 they are going to release a few games on top of the cash from spinning of Finance arm that they've already specified they're going to bolster aggressive mergers and acquisitions with (according to Financial times).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think if their able to get a good optimized port, it's a smart decision & I think switch 2 definitely has good performance combined with DLSS.

Though midori is a tier 1 leaker and ussually is very reliable & the source was also right that they were working on steam ports.

I just hope Sony can see the value in SE when they have enough money for acquisitions to buy them (post 2025).

Edit:

Also by the end of 2025 they are going to release a few games on top of the cash from spinning of Finance arm that they've already specified they're going to bolster aggressive mergers and acquisitions with (according to Financial times).
It's not good. The Switch 2 will be guaranteed not be a powerful device. The most expensive handhelds cost between 600-1000 and only one device can achieve 1440p 30fps. What makes you think a cheap Company like Nintendo would spend money on expensive components? Nintendo will and cannot subsidize their next hardware. Also believing DLSS will perform miracles, has no clue how the software works. You can't turn 540p into 4K. DLSS high settings requires capable hardware. And I doubt that Nintendo will have this powerful hardware. Anyway Nintendo's president Furukawa confirmed the Switch 2 won't be a technical revolution, ergo no huge leap. I am just annoyed that one of my favourite franchises will be held back because of a dated on release hardware. KH IV is the game I look most forward to, it would be a really downer if this Midori is correct. I hope she just saying nonsense for clout. She has a good track record for Sega franchises, but not for Square games. Gives me hope she is just talking too much.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
It's not good. The Switch 2 will be guaranteed not be a powerful device. The most expensive handhelds cost between 600-1000 and only one device csn achieve 1440p 30fps. What makes you think a cheap Company like Nintendo would spend money on expensive components? Nintendo will and cannot subsidize their next hardware. Also believing DLSS will perform miracles, has no clue how the software works. You can't turn 540p into 4K. DLSS high settings requires capable hardware. And I doubt that Nintendo will have this powerful hardware. Anyway Nintendo's president Furukawa confirmed the Switch 2 won't be a technical revolution, ergo no huge leap. I am just annoyed that one of my favourite franchises will be held back because of a dated on release hardware. KH IV is the game I look most forward to, it would be a really downer of this Midori is correct. I hope she just saying nonsense.
I don't think the Nintendo Switch 2 will be like a extremely powerful device or will be able to run high end games, but i do think it will be relatively powerful or atleast comparable to the previous generation consoles, it will also be sold at a loss I think, unlike the steam deck.

Because the PC handhelds can't be sold at a loss because they give too much independence.

I am also not expecting a huge jump in AAA games from Nintendo themselves, it just won't be smart to do that when they can make ample budget games and sell millions of copies at 60$.

Personally I think in docked mode it will be very capable & be able to run games like the ps4 pro. (The theoratical performance target of it months ago was 4, which is the same as ps4 pro but it couldve gotten even better according to mlid)

But also the ampere TFLOP isn't as good as AMD rdna 2 tflop which the ps5 has, but their relatively close.

And games will have to be made for the portable side, since that's kind of like the point of the switch system (along with controlling battery life & heat).

but I still think it will be able to run AAA games @ 1080p/30 in the portable mode. The only thing making me hesitant is the fact that this console was going to release in like 2023 holiday season.

I do hope KH IV will be able to hit the creative target they want & not being able to be held back with their vision. I personally think that the Switch 2 performance will be enough, but will be tough for optimizing it well enough for time restraints and things like that.

Well just have to wait & see, what Square will be able to do with KHIV.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There is absolutely no value in buying Square Enix. They give you nothing that you don't already have. They barely have any operating income to speak of.

The only people pushing that idea are fanboys nostalgic about the late 90s and early 2000s.

Easily one of the worst buys you could possibly make. You're looking at 4.65-5.58 billion

With operating income hovering around 250 million and little avenue for growth. It would almost certainly never be worth it.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is absolutely no value in buying Square Enix. They give you nothing that you don't already have. They barely have any operating income to speak of.

The only people pushing that idea are fanboys nostalgic about the late 90s and early 2000s.

Easily one of the worst buys you could possibly make. You're looking at 4.65-5.58 billion

With operating income hovering around 250 million and little avenue for growth. It would almost certainly never be worth it.
Go back to sleep.

Reactions: Umar and TigerFang

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Kenishiro Yoshida:

"The invested IP needs to be utilized, thats the phase we are currently in. In the previous phase we have invested into IP for the future, and in the current phase we need to generate a return on the investments"

Hiroki Totoki:

"Popular IP is very expensive and competitive, we need to acquire them at the right value, if a premium is needed we need to generate more revenue from that IP so we need to have concrete ideas"

"I think we have learned from the past 6 years and have experience (think he was speaking in context to M&A) & we will focus on, return on investment"

• Informative
Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Kenishiro Yoshida:

"The invested IP needs to be utilized, thats the phase we are currently in. In the previous phase we have invested into IP for the future, and in the current phase we need to generate a return on the investments"

Hiroki Totoki:

"Popular IP is very expensive and competitive, we need to acquire them at the right value, if a premium is needed we need to generate more revenue from that IP so we need to have concrete ideas"

"I think we have learned from the past 6 years and have experience (think he was speaking in context to M&A) & we will focus on, return on investment"
Acquire them at the right value. There is still hope for Square Enix! 🙏❤️‍🔥

Reactions: TigerFang

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I believe people made possible PlayStation acquisition targets but with the rumor of Sony buying Paramount & also rumors of Sony potentially backing out or only buying part of Paramount likely ip’s & the movie rights to some notable films.

Do people think Sony will pull the trigger on Paramount & if not who will Sony target acquisition

I had this In my mind after seeing the Sony meeting & seeing the roadmap for the future especially them expanding & pushing PS ips to films, movies & animation. And having desire to invest heavily in the process & production of anime. I would still want to see the PS side of the Sony meeting that will have later at the end of the month to see what there plans are but so far it doesn’t look like it will change much & there focus seems to be producing entertainment using PS ip & expanding them to different media to target different markets

What are some Sony/PS possible targets with this new information

Kadokawa-ACQUIRE_02-08-24_Visual.jpg

Imo more than ever I think Sony will acquire Kadokawa. Sony seems hell bent in investing & expanding to anime & manga by actually producing it & not just owning a anime subscription. And Kadokawa owns many manga & anime studios + they own 2 gaming studios including spike chunsoft that create small JRPG games & Fromsoft. Kadokawa also owns a couple of mobile studios. I think Kadokawa owns the studio that makes the demon slayer fighting games but that might be Sega.

Kadokawa also acquired the studio behind Octopath Traveler

sega-rovio.jpg

Also another target is Sega giving Sony wanting to acquire Paramount for its universal family friendly ip & likely the Sonic movie rights. Sega would be a good purchase owning Sonic which is doing amazing in movies it can be expanded to anime & parks. Creating a green hill Sonic park would be big for the family’s & younger generation & Sonic is a universal ip that adults like aswell. A Sonic park would be good for Sony as they can reach new audience like Nintendo has down with its own family centric universal ip. Sega also owns Rovio a mobile studio that makes angry birds (I think Sony made the Angry birds film lol)

I took consideration that both of these are under 5 billion & smaller size acquisitions with ip & expertise for expansion into markets Sony is interested or needs to expand but don’t have ip/expertise to do so. I also consider that the acquisition of Paramount is to help Sony tv while both of these acquisitions (Sega & Kadokawa) have more prominent gaming sides they also have sides Sony doesn’t cover or has ip that can help Sony tv & Sony as a whole including PS

Also another Sony acquisition target I consider was Player first game the studio behind Multiversus which looks like a promising platform fighter something Sony/PlayStation is drastically missing when they own EVO & Smash is no longer in EVO & Sony/PlayStation has no first party fighting studio after owning EVO for 3-4 years. Player first game probably cost nothing since they don’t own anything also not sure if there owned by WB haven’t check. Reboot PS Allstars Battle Royal make it the front runner EVO game for the next 10+ years release it on PS & Mobile so data miners can’t leak new characters collaboration in the PC version to keep hype & exitement like Nintendo own Smash.

I don’t see any acquisition for VR that shit dead in the eyes of Sony. Sad because they could’ve made VR modes like RE4 PSVR2 & charge $10-$20 & made some wave. Uncharted 4 VR mode, TLOU 1 & 2 VR mode, Death Stranding 2 VR, Demon Souls VR would be low cost I would think. GT7 VR in my eyes seems like a good success selling PSVR2 & GT7. Acquiring nDreams & having them port VR games to PSVR2 or making VR modes for PS first party games would’ve been a good thing for PSVR2 & the game all which could’ve been built upon for a PSVR3 that’s more like quest with no cable cheaper entry model & a premium model price moderately higher for the tech & combine VR & AR into 1 headset as the final VR hardware till it either grows or fades away.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony ain't buy shit for PlayStation, they are shutting down studios if anything. They have no faith in the game industry and are much more conformable investing in Hollywood movies, TV shows, anime, electric cars, cameras, music, or anything else that isn't related to games.

Paramount, Honda, Nikon, Toshiba, anything is more likely than them buying a high quality game publisher.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sony ain't buy shit for PlayStation, they are shutting down studios if anything. They have no faith in the game industry and are much more conformable investing in Hollywood movies, TV shows, anime, electric cars, cameras, music, or anything else that isn't related to games.

Paramount, Honda, Nikon, Toshiba, anything is more likely than them buying a high quality game publisher.

Outside Media Molecule is there any other studio that would get shutdown?

I can see maybe one of the acquired studios like FireSprite or Firewalk if the horror game & live service game from firesprite & the live service games from firewalk bombs. If they got shutdown it would look so bad that Sony bought them so early on & they also had no relation with PlayStation.

Sony will buy one of these unknown studios but miss out on Fromsoft & Atlus in the PS3 generation. I’d shoot myself if I was Shu & Sony

Also maybe neon koi which because there a mobile studio w a low headcount I think they will be safe unless they can’t make jack shit for mobile games which has been what 2 years since there acquired? Mobile games take like what 6 month to 1 year to make there much smaller & it will be weird for Sony to buy neon koi if they didn’t have a game soon to come out. Mobile games also get revealed much farther ahead & usually have a beta/open beta for players to give feedback months before the game releases. If we don’t see neon koi mobile game in the next PS showcase I would be worried

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Outside Media Molecule is there any other studio that would get shutdown?
They won't shut down MM, they have been profitable every year since acquired and got a ton of awards and great reviews with every game they made.

After growing SIE a lot for 5 years they had some fat to cut and they did it with some firings and a handful studio closures.

They now will continue forward integrating the studios acquired recently and new teams build, releasing some of the first games of these teams and will continue with acquisitions pretty likely starting late next year, once they sell thir banks division.

Last edited: