Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Agreed. Even after ABK goes through, they'll still be in 3rd place which is great for me because when you're last, you have more leeway which works out perfectly for me.

I actually agree with this to an extent. Personally, I don't stay subscribed to any subscription service (games, movies, tv series, etc.). For Game Pass, I sign up for a month like I will do in January for a Plague Tale Requiem (and if I have time, High on Life) and then cancel the subscription once I complete the main game im signing up for in the first place. Even if I was to stay subscribed for an entire year, it would cost me $120 for the base service. If I was to buy Redfall and Starfield, the cost would be the same. Even if I did Ultimate which I wouldn't as it offers nothing extra for me, the cost would be $180 for the year which for 2023, would still even out when I take Stalker 2 into account. Add in Lies of P and Flintlock and I actually come out ahead. It all comes down to how people use the subscription service and how many games they're interested in playing. As for a price hike, even if the base was to go to $15 a month, it would still be far cheaper for me than buying the game and trading it in as im not a collector.

Exactly.

The only problem is that #2 and #3 would take too long for Microsoft to accomplish which in my mind is exactly what PlayStation fans would want them to do because it allows Sony and PlayStation to dominate. Only problem is that Microsoft isn't going along with those ideas. It's also far easier and quicker to acquire studios and publishers due to the fact that they're already established and well known as opposed to trying to build up everything from the ground. Sony took years if not decades to establishe their core studios (Santa Monica, Polyphony and Japan Studio/Team Asobi) and the rest were basically acquired and built up since then.

I want games first and foremost on my Series X because it's my primary gaming console (same as what PS4 was for me last generation) but if games I want to play are on PlayStation 5 (timed or fully exclusive), I will play them there. Main reason I heavily favor Microsoft and Xbox Series X is because why spend more money on games if I don't have to? Especially since I trade them in once I complete them anyway.

Excellent points. Warriors will reply that it’s like totally different!!!!! when Sony buys studios because they like totally only buy studios that worked exclusively with them prior to acquisition!!!!!. So at the end of the day, Nintendo gamers couldn’t play a Naughty Dog game before they were bought by Sony because Sony had already been paying them for years to keep them exclusive. How is that any different 😆😆😆

Also a lot of people here throw out the idea that GamePass will rise in price as if everyone doesn’t know that. We all know a price increase is coming. It’s what the services go through.

P

peter42O

Excellent points. Warriors will reply that it’s like totally different!!!!! when Sony buys studios because they like totally only buy studios that worked exclusively with them prior to acquisition!!!!!. So at the end of the day, Nintendo gamers couldn’t play a Naughty Dog game before they were bought by Sony because Sony had already been paying them for years to keep them exclusive. How is that any different 😆😆😆

Also a lot of people here throw out the idea that GamePass will rise in price as if everyone doesn’t know that. We all know a price increase is coming. It’s what the services go through.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't have any issue with any of the big three acquiring studios or publishers. I obviously have my preferences for what is best for me but in general, whatever they all do, they do. Can't do anything about any of it anyway.

Game Pass will eventually increase in price but I think the basic will stay $10, Cloud only would be $5 and Ultimate increases to $20 if they add the Ubisoft vault and/or expansions for their first party games. Of course, they will be having a family and friends plan which is mad cheap so they may not increase the price and if they do, it may not be until next generation when they have more market share and are coming off one hell of a generation for the brand, platform and eco-system.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Game Pass will eventually increase in price but I think the basic will stay $10, Cloud only would be $5 and Ultimate increases to $20 if they add the Ubisoft vault and/or expansions for their first party games.
The cloud will always be tied to the most expensive option because the servers costs of cloud gaming are super high and the install base is super small.

As we know PS Now had around 3M of active subs but we never had any idea of how many active subs xCloud or GP Ultimate ever had, leading to think they are less, because if MS would have any metric showing them as the leaders of something they'd brag about it.

P

peter42O

The cloud will always be tied to the most expensive option because the servers costs of cloud gaming are super high and the install base is super small.

As we know PS Now had around 3M of active subs but we never had any idea of how many active subs xCloud or GP Ultimate ever had, leading to think they are less, because if MS would have any metric showing them as the leaders of something they'd brag about it.

I think there will be a $5 a month cloud only service mainly for the TV App. The Cloud for tablets and for Xbox One streaming I think will be tied to Game Pass Ultimate. But we'll see what they end up doing.

Perhaps. I don't think Microsoft cares about what the subscriptions are separately as long as the service grows overall.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
It's not bullshit. I simply believe that because Sony isn't at Microsoft's level money wise that PlayStation fans see it as unfair. I don't. Sony has been around for just under 30 years longer than Microsoft. Why aren't they a trillion dollar company after all these decades? Them being "only" a billion dollar company isn't Microsoft's fault. People here always say that Microsoft should do better with their games and studios but never seem to mention that maybe if Sony did better and was a trillion dollar company that they could acquire top tier main event shit. Instead, they have to settle for the leftovers and scraps.

None of that is Microsoft's fault. Not to mention the fact that at this point in time, keeping money in a bank isn't worth much if anything so Microsoft is far better off acquiring studios and/or publishers with that money as that's a better long term investment than doing nothing.

Microsoft made one big timed console exclusive last generation for Rise of the Tomb Raider and all anyone did was bitch, moan and groan like little fucking babies constantly asking Microsoft and Square Enix when the game was coming to PlayStation 4. It's been almost 2 1/2 years since Final Fantasy VII Remake was released and I haven't seen a single journalist (lol) or gaming media person ask Sony or Square Enix about this because there's always been a double standard so instead of dealing with this mickey mouse junior high school bullshit, Microsoft did what quite honestly they should have started back in 2001 which was acquire studios and publishers. And yet, regardless of what Microsoft does, everyone fucking cries including and especially Sony.

It's not fair. Boohoo!!! Sony and PlayStation fans simply wanted a repeat of last generation which is a fucking fact and now that Microsoft said fuck that, we're using our war chest, these same fans simply can't handle or accept it. Oh well. It is what it is. Best of all, Microsoft isn't even close to being done with acquisitions and I for one, look forward to them because it's better for me and quite honestly, Sony needs to be taken out of their comfort zone and major acquisitions and in turn more exclusives for the Xbox eco-system is the only thing that will accomplish that.
again this is dishonest bullshit,you arent fooling anyone son
people like you are a cancer for this hobby ,your moronic and shitty way of thinking its what its going to make everything worse in the long term

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
You just summed up exactly why everyone here and other warrior communities are upset about these buyouts. It’s because they want Sony to always be #1, always be buying up tons of content and games, and can’t stand anything that impedes that.
microsot asslickers repeat this mantra everytime and nobody is buying your bullshit arguments,people just want more and batter games,its not our fault microsoft fanbase is so full of desperate weirdos that they want to take games from other users instead of creating a good and stable line of developers,as i said before,people like you are a cancer of this hobby

P

peter42O

again this is dishonest bullshit,you arent fooling anyone son
people like you are a cancer for this hobby ,your moronic and shitty way of thinking its what its going to make everything worse in the long term

Don't see how im being dishonest when im talking for myself specifically. Unlike fanboys/extremists on both sides, I literally only care about what's best for me. If it sucks for other people on either side, that's their problem, not mine.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I don’t want to back seat mod here but I thought this was the Sony acquisition thread not the Xbox fanboys tell us why Microsoft is the because gamepass thread? Every time I log on I see I have a new update and it’s peter420 or whatever explaining game pass, in a Sony acquisitions thread. Can this conversation be moved to another thread?

P

peter42O

I don’t want to back seat mod here but I thought this was the Sony acquisition thread not the Xbox fanboys tell us why Microsoft is the because gamepass thread? Every time I log on I see I have a new update and it’s peter420 or whatever explaining game pass, in a Sony acquisitions thread. Can this conversation be moved to another thread?

Agreed as I can't argue this whatsoever. Apologies.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
It's not bullshit. I simply believe that because Sony isn't at Microsoft's level money wise that PlayStation fans see it as unfair. I don't. Sony has been around for just under 30 years longer than Microsoft. Why aren't they a trillion dollar company after all these decades? Them being "only" a billion dollar company isn't Microsoft's fault. People here always say that Microsoft should do better with their games and studios but never seem to mention that maybe if Sony did better and was a trillion dollar company that they could acquire top tier main event shit. Instead, they have to settle for the leftovers and scraps.

None of that is Microsoft's fault. Not to mention the fact that at this point in time, keeping money in a bank isn't worth much if anything so Microsoft is far better off acquiring studios and/or publishers with that money as that's a better long term investment than doing nothing.

Microsoft made one big timed console exclusive last generation for Rise of the Tomb Raider and all anyone did was bitch, moan and groan like little fucking babies constantly asking Microsoft and Square Enix when the game was coming to PlayStation 4. It's been almost 2 1/2 years since Final Fantasy VII Remake was released and I haven't seen a single journalist (lol) or gaming media person ask Sony or Square Enix about this because there's always been a double standard so instead of dealing with this mickey mouse junior high school bullshit, Microsoft did what quite honestly they should have started back in 2001 which was acquire studios and publishers. And yet, regardless of what Microsoft does, everyone fucking cries including and especially Sony.

It's not fair. Boohoo!!! Sony and PlayStation fans simply wanted a repeat of last generation which is a fucking fact and now that Microsoft said fuck that, we're using our war chest, these same fans simply can't handle or accept it. Oh well. It is what it is. Best of all, Microsoft isn't even close to being done with acquisitions and I for one, look forward to them because it's better for me and quite honestly, Sony needs to be taken out of their comfort zone and major acquisitions and in turn more exclusives for the Xbox eco-system is the only thing that will accomplish that.
Sony never invented and monopolized a product that is now essential to life as we know it………

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
First of all, I'm not asking Sony to buy publishers, and if they did, it would be a dick move for sure.

Studios that you have a history with are not only on a different scale from third party publishers, the ramifications are much worse for consumers in the latter.

I'm more concerned about what's fair than what investors want.
Timed exclusive deals are bad, but at least people on other platforms still get the content later. Buyouts like Bethesda and ABK should not be allowed, period.
I think everyone has that general feeling; or perhaps would if other companies weren't already out there buying, buying, buying?

I think it's more a case now, that there's 3rd party's that people like on PS already and we want the purchase to protect the 3P company from multiplatform platform releases (read: going "non-sony" depending on whom buys whom); or if the company has various alignements that Sony could better enhance/use/support, better than others could, it would be stupid not to enhance, etc.

If bigger and richer players are going to come-in, and slice-up the remaining pie, then I'd like to see Sony carve out more of a bigger slice for themselves (not that I want to see it in general), if you see how I mean?

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
I do think Shift UP is a target depending on how Steller Blade does. XDev JP/XDev Korea are investing in good games is what i took from the SoP and how INSANE GOWR looked....

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It’s a matter of when not if:

Yoko Taro is involved.
Staff:
Series Composition: Toko Taro, Ryouji Masuyama
Director: Ryouji Masuyama
Character Design/Chief Animation Director : Jun Nakai
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures

With A-1 onboard confirms pretty much Sony is buying Square Enix 👀

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
microsot asslickers repeat this mantra everytime and nobody is buying your bullshit arguments,people just want more and batter games,its not our fault microsoft fanbase is so full of desperate weirdos that they want to take games from other users instead of creating a good and stable line of developers,as i said before,people like you are a cancer of this hobby
Imagine comparing Naughty Dog to the Activision buyout 💩

It is interesting though how some of its franchises appear to be in long-term decline, and historically MS isn't very good at becoming inventive with its studios, or indeed at managing many of them. They will need to turn things around themselves if necessary.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
With the way currencies are falling, including the yen, i wonder if that changes sonys plans any? The fact theyre strategy is now kill the activision deal, rather than make any of their own is telling as well. I dont think we'll get alot of big moves from them. So much for "Sony can be a buyer in a sellers market" or whatever their ceo said earlier this year. Still waiting for that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75