Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

P

peter42O

The abk deal has already come under alot of scrutiny, going after a third publisher ( assuming the deal goes through), is going to end up with Microsoft getting their teeth kicked in by regulators. I said it before, but the " we're in last place " excuse isn't going to work forever, if it ends up working at all.

It also says alot that they can't seem to create or maintain anything, so they just gotta buy it.

That depends on the publisher. If it's someone small like Paradox Interactive for example or they somehow acquire Sega in Japan, I don't see them having any issues. Only issue I see is if it's Take Two Interactive because of GTA and to a lesser extent, Electronic Arts.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
That depends on the publisher. If it's someone small like Paradox Interactive for example or they somehow acquire Sega in Japan, I don't see them having any issues. Only issue I see is if it's Take Two Interactive because of GTA and to a lesser extent, Electronic Arts.
It'll be less about the size but a pattern of monopolistic/ anti competitive behavior. Microsoft's past history won't help their case. Going after a third publisher is just asking for trouble.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Microsoft isn't going to do a lot of timed console exclusivity deals and when they do, they're usually for 3-6 months. It's all about Game Pass for Microsoft. Once the ABK deal closes, they will still be acquiring more studios and I wouldn't be shocked to see them acquire another publisher. Microsoft wants to own as many IP's and games as possible because they prefer to have everything in house instead of paying companies to put games on Game Pass when they can do it all themselves.
If the ABK deal goes through. Nothing is guaranteed.

And they certainly won't be able to go about buying other big publishers as much as they might wish to buy up the entire industry.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
P

peter42O

If the ABK deal goes through. Nothing is guaranteed.

And they certainly won't be able to go about buying other big publishers as much as they might wish to buy up the entire industry.

I'm not worried about the deal. And worse case scenario, even if UK blocks it, Microsoft will go to court and chances are that it will be overturned as CMA has had a lot of blocks overturned Past that, Microsoft isn't huge in UK for Xbox anyway and they could simply pull out of the region and that's it.

I can easily see small AA publishers like Paradox or Sega. I don't think there would be any issues with either if they were to be acquired by Microsoft. Only companies I see as a potential issue is Take Two Interactive because of GTA and to a lesser extent, Electronic Arts. Everyone else, I don't think anyone would even care.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
2 games are being tested later this month at PlayStation's Europe HQ (13 Great Marlborough Street W1F 7HP, London):
  • First is for a "VR Racing Game" which I suspect could very well be GT7 VR
  • Second is a "Platformer Game" which is a quite vague - Probably some XDev game? They seem to list if its PC so probably rules out Sackboy PC (which is about to come anyway)

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I'm not worried about the deal. And worse case scenario, even if UK blocks it, Microsoft will go to court and chances are that it will be overturned as CMA has had a lot of blocks overturned Past that, Microsoft isn't huge in UK for Xbox anyway and they could simply pull out of the region and that's it.

I can easily see small AA publishers like Paradox or Sega. I don't think there would be any issues with either if they were to be acquired by Microsoft. Only companies I see as a potential issue is Take Two Interactive because of GTA and to a lesser extent, Electronic Arts. Everyone else, I don't think anyone would even care.
Sega is going the Konami route:

- Buying and investing a lot in resort and fitness/wellness halls

- Buying gambling/pachinko machines

- Expanding in movie

- They have bought a basket ball team

It’s the usually wishful thinking of the Xbox fanboys. Microsoft will never get a grip on a Japanese publisher.

P

peter42O

Sega is going the Konami route:

- Buying and investing a lot in resort and fitness/wellness halls

- Buying gambling/pachinko machines

- Expanding in movie

- They have bought a basket ball team

It’s the usually wishful thinking of the Xbox fanboys. Microsoft will never get a grip on a Japanese publisher.

That's better for me because I don't care about Sega. I simply see them as being the most likely candidate to be acquired by Microsoft. I want Capcom to be honest but I know that's not happening.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Are you shitting me 😁

Sega aren't going to Microsoft.

P

peter42O

Are you shitting me 😁

Sega aren't going to Microsoft.

I meant for Xbox. If Microsoft has to pull Xbox out of UK as opposed to losing ABK, yeah, UK is gone.

Probably not but that's who I think they target if they're looking for a Japanese publisher.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I meant for Xbox. If Microsoft has to pull Xbox out of UK as opposed to losing ABK, yeah, UK is gone.

Probably not but that's who I think they target if they're looking for a Japanese publisher.
No way are Xbox just leaving the UK.

It's a big, important market. Hell it's Xbox's second biggest market. No chance they will just dump UK Xbox gamers.

That's crazy talk.

P

peter42O

No way are Xbox just leaving the UK.

It's a big, important market. Hell it's Xbox's second biggest market. No chance they will just dump UK Xbox gamers.

That's crazy talk.

Either that or they just wouldn't sell/release any ABK games in that region. Either way, they're not losing out on ABK. There's a reason why they offered Game Pass to Sony because ABK is simply far more important to them.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Either that or they just wouldn't sell/release any ABK games in that region. Either way, they're not losing out on ABK. There's a reason why they offered Game Pass to Sony because ABK is simply far more important to them.

No way. That would make ABK a horrible deal. That plus making games exclusive? Its simply not worth it. MS has money but they are not stupid.

P

peter42O

No way. That would make ABK a horrible deal. That plus making games exclusive? Its simply not worth it. MS has money but they are not stupid.

King alone would make up any money lost which would mainly just be COD anyway. Also, Microsoft sacrificed game sales back in 2018 once they decided to put all their games on Game Pass day one. Money is obviously important but there is one thing that is more important - breaking into mobile gaming where they've been non-existent in thus far and doing this would make them even more money in the long term.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Haha just leave the UK out of Activision releases.

Basically you're saying Xbox would become fully focused on the US and freeze out a key market for a significant amount of content - Europe isn't a strong region for it, and it's dead in Japan.

I know a lot of people are willing this deal to go through. I'm not saying the CMA definitely will block it, but if CMA did block it the deal is dead in the water.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

If the deal is not finalised by the end of July it will cancel itself. It's on the terms. This going to court is irrelevant because unless a brand new deal is signed, which would also undergo review again, the court means it's lost.

P

peter42O

Haha just leave the UK out of Activision releases.

Basically you're saying Xbox would become fully focused on the US and freeze out a key market for a significant amount of content - Europe isn't a strong region for it, and it's dead in Japan.

I know a lot of people are willing this deal to go through. I'm not saying the CMA definitely will block it, but if CMA did block it the deal is dead in the water.

If CMA blocks it, Microsoft will appeal and chances are that the U.K.'s Competition Appeal Tribunal will overturn it.

If the deal is not finalised by the end of July it will cancel itself. It's on the terms. This going to court is irrelevant because unless a brand new deal is signed, which would also undergo review again, the court means it's lost.

Not true. CMA has had decisions go to the CAT and were overturned.

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
2 games are being tested later this month at PlayStation's Europe HQ (13 Great Marlborough Street W1F 7HP, London):
  • First is for a "VR Racing Game" which I suspect could very well be GT7 VR
  • Second is a "Platformer Game" which is a quite vague - Probably some XDev game? They seem to list if its PC so probably rules out Sackboy PC (which is about to come anyway)
Let's hope they are a brand new Wipeout game for PS5+PSVR2 and a new Team Asobi platformer game.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
King alone would make up any money lost which would mainly just be COD anyway. Also, Microsoft sacrificed game sales back in 2018 once they decided to put all their games on Game Pass day one. Money is obviously important but there is one thing that is more important - breaking into mobile gaming where they've been non-existent in thus far and doing this would make them even more money in the long term.
King absolutely does not make up for any lost revenue due to no UK sales. Sorry, that makes no sense. A region gone is region gone. All divisions of ABK loose potential revenue and makes the deal look worse. MS wants ABK but they are not going to throw all logic an common sense out of the window in a desperate attempt to complete the deal. Do I think the CMA will block it? No. But if they did and MS lost the following court cases to overturn, the deal would be dead.

Last edited: