Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

I wonder who else is there? I hope we get more pictures. Herman hulst is in Japan right now as well. I saw somewhere Sonys third party relations was in Japan as well so maybe it’s all tied together?

I thought netease was funding the former yakuzas directors game though?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I wonder who else is there? I hope we get more pictures. Herman hulst is in Japan right now as well. I saw somewhere Sonys third party relations was in Japan as well so maybe it’s all tied together?

I thought netease was funding the former yakuzas directors game though?
NetEase own them but they’re not publishing games

Snake29

21 Jun 2022
CDPR could be Sony's Betheda studio for WRPG. Expand them, make exclusives with the expanded studios and let The Witcher en CP stay multiplatform.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: EDMIX and Bryank75

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I meant for Xbox. If Microsoft has to pull Xbox out of UK as opposed to losing ABK, yeah, UK is gone.

Probably not but that's who I think they target if they're looking for a Japanese publisher.
you are fuking delusional if you think ms is leaving UK,thats pretty stupid even coming from you

Reactions: Hezekiah

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
This I approve.

Hopefully Nintendo has wised up to who the biggest threat is.
Prolly not even about ms, most likely working to be more multiplat. It makes sense for them to both start being multiplat.
Sony picked up a major pub from japan and they are working out new agreements with Nintendo to keep titles multiplat perhaps?
Nintendo needs them to help with films and other entertainment medium?
Could be anything but i doubt it got anything to do with ms. Far as i can tell ms and nintendo get along pretty well.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I meant for Xbox. If Microsoft has to pull Xbox out of UK as opposed to losing ABK, yeah, UK is gone.

Probably not but that's who I think they target if they're looking for a Japanese publisher.
One of the requirements for the merger to be successful is it MUST pass the UK, FTC and EU. Thats in the agreement ms made with abk.
There is no bailing on the uk in this merger.
Would have been a whole lot easier if abk had also added in the agreement that ms must continue to make all titles multiplat, like what the owners of minecraft did before they sold to ms. But ofc they were only thinking about themself and not the 151 million ps users they keep referring to.

Reactions: Hezekiah
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I guarantee whoever this is is literally making that up. No one else reports on it but some random twitter account does? Uh huh.
It’s a closed event for partners. Journalist doesn’t get invited. It’s the “Playstation Partner Event”. You would need an invention to participate.

I think it’s the agreement for providing Nintendo with further A-AA games by Square Enix, after they buy them. Sony wants this deal getting done.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It’s a closed event for partners. Journalist doesn’t get invited. It’s the “Playstation Partner Event”. You would need an invention to participate.

I think it’s the agreement for providing Nintendo with further A-AA games by Square Enix, after they buy them. Sony wants this deal getting done.
Even if it were happening, that person wouldnt know is my point. I guarantee you can go through that persons post history and it will be every rumor ever heard presented as fact or something.

24 Jun 2022
I'm not worried about the deal. And worse case scenario, even if UK blocks it, Microsoft will go to court and chances are that it will be overturned as CMA has had a lot of blocks overturned Past that, Microsoft isn't huge in UK for Xbox anyway and they could simply pull out of the region and that's it.

I can easily see small AA publishers like Paradox or Sega. I don't think there would be any issues with either if they were to be acquired by Microsoft. Only companies I see as a potential issue is Take Two Interactive because of GTA and to a lesser extent, Electronic Arts. Everyone else, I don't think anyone would even care.

Sega's a AAA publisher, not a AA one. They're not a Private Division or Annapurna, in that context.

Them being acquired by MS, if it were to happen, isn't because they're "small" (I mean compared to ABK many pubs are small, but Sega isn't that much smaller than Capcom for example). It'd be because of things like them being a strategic partner for the Azure division, and the fact they and MS have a pretty storied relationship that goes back to the origins of the Dreamcast in the late '90s. MS's history with Sega is kind of similar to that with Bethesda, and while I personally think Sega may be better off with another platform holder (I'd probably pick Nintendo, Sony as a 2nd choice), I can see the historical factors to why MS would want to acquire them.

I just don't think they need to think about doing that for a few years, at best. Show us what you can do with Zenimax and ABK's IP in terms of growing active IP and bringing back dormant IP in clever ways, before going after yet ANOTHER publisher. That you can finish the food on your plate before putting more up there. Otherwise MS just looks like a glutton and a buffoon, and no one likes that.

Let's hope they are a brand new Wipeout game for PS5+PSVR2 and a new Team Asobi platformer game.

I hope it's a new Tomba, but I've been hoping for this for years and it probably won't happen.

Wouldn't mind a Parappa/UmJammer platformer/rhythm game, either. Well, let's just hope they have cameos in whatever this new game is.

24 Jun 2022

Either they're agreeing to invest certain amounts into Square-Enix studios, Sony's buying Square-Enix and they're working on terms for what games go to Nintendo platforms (can't see things changing vs. what they currently are TBH, if anything Nintendo would prob get a couple additional games like Valkyrie Elysium), or...

...I dunno. After that it could be literally anything. Maybe they're bringing back the Play Station CD add-on for Super Famicom/SNES? 🤔

Could be also Bloober Team. SH2 seems fire.
They also could provide a valuable asset for their VR strategy.

Was just thinking that. Bloober gets hate but the way I see it it's pretty daring to write something to piss off people the way they did with The Medium xD. Not all entertainment has to conform to your beliefs.

That said SH2 Remake's being written by other people, I think maybe someone from Team Silent also pitching in on writing, hopefully? Hope the remake adds contextually-aware wall collision animations.

Prolly not even about ms, most likely working to be more multiplat. It makes sense for them to both start being multiplat.
Sony picked up a major pub from japan and they are working out new agreements with Nintendo to keep titles multiplat perhaps?
Could be anything but i doubt it got anything to do with ms. Far as i can tell ms and nintendo get along pretty well.

That's sounding A LOT like something to do with a certain Square-Enix...

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

These were some of the first things I thought too. Except for Nintendo being multiplatform. That ain't happening...lol. Sony GaaS
games on Switch though.........that would be interesting.

I could also see them working out Sony picking up SE or Capcom and Sony wanting to keep games on Nintendo consoles.