Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You just need to see what Jim Ryan said in June 2022:

“The purpose of these investments is to increase our core strength at PlayStation Studios, but also to acquire expertise in areas of game development where historically we have not had a significant presence. The planned Bungie partnership is a great example of the latter."

"In terms of future M&A activity, the answer to that is we are not at all finished with our strategy of trying to grow PlayStation Studios inorganically."

“As we transition from our historic game development strategy to a much broader and much wider market reach than we enjoy today, it is very likely that inorganic stimulus will be required to help us to realize these dreams.

And to the extent that potential targets fit with our strategy, to the extent that potential targets allow us to accelerate the way in which we are able to deliver on our strategy, we will certainly consider farther M&A activity to add to our business portfolio."

Yes, this is what I remember, them saying that will continue growing via cquisitions to:
  • Make PS Studios stronger (more main gamedev studios, more support studios, new genres and platform covereds, access to talent from more countries, bigger general headcount, more knowledge in more areas, etc)
  • Acquire expertise in areas where PS Studios isn't too big (GaaS, MP, certain top genres like FPS, eSports, mobile, PC ports...)
  • Part of these acquisitions would help them reach players outside PS to grow their market (mobile gaming devs, PC porting studios, Bungie releasing day one everywhere including rival consoles while PS Studios outside their porting and mobile teams would continue focusing on PS)
I don't remember anyone from Sony saying they were going to stop making acquisitions or that they won't buy publishers.

If a company already has internal plans to sell, and are approached by a potential buyer, they will take the offer into consideration.
In fact, some public companies who don't want to sell are forced to take the offers into consideration even if knowing they'll reject it without considering how good is the offer, in order to properly inform their main shareholders about it and that they act in the best interest of their shareholders. This was the case of Ubisoft and what Guillemot said and meant when months ago said they'd take into consideration offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
You just need to see what Jim Ryan said in June 2022:

“The purpose of these investments is to increase our core strength at PlayStation Studios, but also to acquire expertise in areas of game development where historically we have not had a significant presence. The planned Bungie partnership is a great example of the latter."

"In terms of future M&A activity, the answer to that is we are not at all finished with our strategy of trying to grow PlayStation Studios inorganically."

“As we transition from our historic game development strategy to a much broader and much wider market reach than we enjoy today, it is very likely that inorganic stimulus will be required to help us to realize these dreams.

And to the extent that potential targets fit with our strategy, to the extent that potential targets allow us to accelerate the way in which we are able to deliver on our strategy, we will certainly consider farther M&A activity to add to our business portfolio."

Looks to me like they are doing that

Bungie - FPS and live service
Haven - live service?
Lasengle and Savage Game Studios - mobile

I think an RPG studio is next if we consider where Sony has weaknesses. From Software at the top of the list, but could be Square Enix or less likely CDPR

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They said they want to invest in mobile and pc (https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/playstation-eyes-new-investment-pc-mobile-push-2022-10-04/) if we look at it from that angle it kind of limits who they could be looking at. Like square enix still fits that description but wouldn’t be the first way most would describe them. Could be more start up studios. Maybe what Sony and Jim Ryan are looking for are different than what Herman is looking for. Who knows but it does seem like whatever acquisition plans they have, have been put on hold until there’s an activision verdict.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Someone should tell this to Microsoft, then, or better yet Jez Corden. Y'know, the guy who's putting a gun to Sony & CMA's heads that if the deal doesn't go through, Microsoft will buy up all the 3P AAA games as Xbox exclusives instead?

It's...not like MS didn't have the $70 billion before, or haven't tried locking some of those games down prior to going after ABK or Zenimax. As we've seen with 3P publisher hesitancy to put games into GamePass of their own volition, it's not always about how much money you can throw at someone.

Actually, it's a bit of both. If a company already has internal plans to sell, and are approached by a potential buyer, they will take the offer into consideration.

Companies looking to sell don't go posting the announcement on a bulletin board seeking applications; at most they may put fielders out there and be approached by board members or owners of other companies looking to buy to have talks and discussions over a period of time. That's how it works.

Guide Jez Corden, Destin Legaire and Colteastwood safely...

Because they're probably considering it. I don't think buying publishers is Sony's preferred strategy, that's for sure, but if they see the tea leaves falling a certain way, they won't be against buying one if it means securing content for their platform into perpetuity.

That's what I think the difference between Microsoft and Sony is here: Microsoft prefer this strategy of buying out big publishers, that fits their style/plays to their strengths (excessively large amounts of cash and market value to make virtually any & every purchase they could want). Sony don't prefer that strategy (in large part because they lack the cash and market value of a Microsoft to fund such a strategy long-term or at such a large scale) but are willing to take those steps if things prove it necessary.

Personally I think that's what Herman was suggesting in the interview, not that Sony aren't in talks with a 3P publisher or two or aren't considering the option to acquire one. They just would definitely not be taking those steps if Microsoft hadn't already set a precedent with Zenimax & ABK, and haven't outright stated they plan to acquire more publishers in the future.

Yeah, I just don't think they can ignore it anymore. It would seal their fate really if they didn't even try to buy at least 2-3 things to try and make PlayStation unavoidable to the masses in console / pc gaming.

We know all the names we have bandied about here, it's obvious who they should be aiming for.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Its interesting how Jez and alot of extreme xbox fanboys sure do spend alot of time talking about playstation and not xbox.
Well if MS released several games in the year they could talk about Xbox. I'd be livid if I bought a console and they fucked up with first party releases. Then again I wouldn't buy a console with no exclusives at launch. That's just me.

• party

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They said they want to invest in mobile and pc (https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/playstation-eyes-new-investment-pc-mobile-push-2022-10-04/) if we look at it from that angle it kind of limits who they could be looking at. Like square enix still fits that description but wouldn’t be the first way most would describe them. Could be more start up studios. Maybe what Sony and Jim Ryan are looking for are different than what Herman is looking for. Who knows but it does seem like whatever acquisition plans they have, have been put on hold until there’s an activision verdict.

Square and CDPR would be good picks.

I don't know if CDPR would be open to it but it plugs the RPGS holes and FFXIV is massive and Square have a good foot in mobile.

CDPR would give firm footing in PC and a platform expansion that is ready to be adapted.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022

I don't know if CDPR would be open to it but it plugs the RPGS holes and FFXIV is massive and Square have a good foot in mobile.

CDPR would give firm footing in PC and a platform expansion that is ready to be adapted.

If SE is willing to sell, Sony MUST be the buyer. Can't see them with anyone else.
CDPR would be amazing as well. I feel we will not hear a thing until at least 2nd quarter 2023 though.
Sony is not going to announce another acquisition. No matter how big or small.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I think Sony wants to buy SE but SE doesn't want to sell, and that Sony doesn't want to buy CDP but CDP (in particular, their main shareholders) would love to be bought by someone like them.

• brain

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I think Sony wants to buy SE but SE doesn't want to sell, and that Sony doesn't want to buy CDP but CDP (in particular, their main shareholders) would love to be bought by someone like them.
Its You Reaction GIF by Freedomists
This Is Us Laughing GIF by Emmys
cbc no GIF by Kim's Convenience

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Yea, I think this is going to be rough on the Sony fanboys when their acquisitions tend to lean on the PC development side. Probably get people whining about how Sony's lost their way, and that they're no longer the focus. Kinda like the oldest kid when the new baby is born. They start feeling left out and lash out for attention. Typical childish behavior.

Except that's exactly why they're buying up these studios. It's not about having new studios separate from the old ones... it's about integrating them into their main studios and increasing the flexibility of their studios. PC versions of games developed alongside the console versions, reducing upfront costs, while also increasing the expertise of their entire development staff, and allowing them to increase their output and efficiency. Sony's studios are all one symbiotic entity which they morph and displace as needed to meet the needs of the priorities of the company. Many of their studios have a hand in the creation of each others games.

It's only a matter of time until Jetpack Interactive is a fully Sony owned studio. By the sounds of it Sony loves their work and they're an excellent fit for each other. GoW PC and Ragnarok PC, and now this new project coming from them based on a Sony IP... its evidence enough IMO that it's going to happen.

Sony has maxxed out their console audience. There's not much growth that can happen there.... but PC... that's going to be a major area of potential growth for Sony... so expect that to be where they focus their attention on for a while.

Reactions: DynamiteCop

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Well they simply need a developer like CDPR despite how rough CP2077 was at launch... they need WRPG's and they need the type of 'evergreen' single player games they make that are pretty much generational hits.

Square... maybe they can wait on to change their minds but I think Sony oversight would be great because management at Square and project greenlighting seems to be really spotty.

Reactions: AniWeeb

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The only way I'd want Sony to buy SE if they announced that future games would be multiplatform or at the very least eventually come to other systems.

This arms race bullshit is fucking stupid. All talk about acquisitions and less on actual games.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
The only way I'd want Sony to buy SE if they announced that future games would be multiplatform or at the very least eventually come to other systems.

This arms race bullshit is fucking stupid. All talk about acquisitions and less on actual games.

I think it would be a case by case thing.

Reactions: AniWeeb

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Like others have probably said, we won't find out about any acquisitions by sony ( if they happen) until after the abk deal's final fate is revealed. If it doesn't go through, Sony probably doesn't go after anything major. If it does, wouldn't surprise me if Sony starts fighting fire with fire.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Like others have probably said, we won't find out about any acquisitions by sony ( if they happen) until after the abk deal's final fate is revealed. If it doesn't go through, Sony probably doesn't go after anything major. If it does, wouldn't surprise me if Sony starts fighting fire with fire.
You don’t drop any process to buy a company. This a lot of stuff to overthink. So I think Sony will do something big, regardless if ABK deal gets approved or not. If you decide to buy company, you don’t turn back.