Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They sold because needed the money. Now they have a shit ton of money because they make a shit ton of money, so it's a good idea to spend a good part of it on investments and acquisitions that make sense.
Of course they have money to spend now. But where do you and your fellow guys know with certainty, they will buy buy only shares this time again?
Have you seen the financial results for Square Enix? They are disastrous! How should Square Enix manage to pay off the move to the new HQ
in Shibuya if not Sony pays for them???
Do you know how expensive that municipal district is?? That District is really noble and most expensive in all Japan (Tokyo)! And sure it’s only a coincidence they will be only a 100 meters away from Sony HQ…
You can ignore all the way you want but Sony is primarily focusing on synergies. And Square Enix has plenty of them. So a whole buyout will have way more benefits than a partial investment.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wonder if we get any acquisition/investment announcements tomorrow at their CES conference?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wonder if we get any acquisition/investment announcements tomorrow at their CES conference?
I think within the fiscal year report, it’s more likely for announcements. Japan has certain periods, so investments/acquisitions are not possible to any time.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think within the fiscal year report, it’s more likely for announcements. Japan has certain periods, so investments/acquisitions are not possible to any time.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they already have a few lined up but saving them to see what happens with the activation deal.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t be surprised if they already have a few lined up but saving them to see what happens with the activation deal.
This kinda hard to imagine tbh. Microsoft will be stuck in court for a couple of years for ABK matter. I don’t believe Sony would put acquisitions and showcases that long on hold. I really hope they put a ring on Square Enix and end this NFT and Consolewars drama, once and for all.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This kinda hard to imagine tbh. Microsoft will be stuck in court for a couple of years for ABK matter. I don’t believe Sony would put acquisitions and showcases that long on hold. I really hope they put a ring on Square Enix and end this NFT and Consolewars drama, once and for all.
SE is already pretty much like a first-party publisher for Sony. They are releasing 0 out of 5 games on Xbox in 2023. It'd be wiser for Sony to invest/acquire another more Western publisher instead to protect their IPs from Microsoft.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
SE is already pretty much like a first-party publisher for Sony. They are releasing 0 out of 5 games on Xbox in 2023. It'd be wiser for Sony to invest/acquire another more Western publisher instead to protect their IPs from Microsoft.
You all need to forgot Microsoft. Companies like Tencent and Netease are being much of greater danger. I think if Sony is really interested, than it’s either a full acquisition or never. No more halfhearted things.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
You all need to forgot Microsoft. Companies like Tencent and Netease are being much of greater danger. I think if Sony is really interested, than it’s either a full acquisition or never. No more halfhearted things.
Agree, Tencent are the biggest worry for Sony in Japan than Microsoft.

They have their tentacles everywhere.

Even Saudi Arabia is a bigger danger than Microsoft.

I believe they have acquired SNK.

Have stakes in Capcom, Nintendo and have announced they have acquired a major publisher for 7-8 billion from I recollect.

Wonder who it is.

Reactions: Dabaus

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I think it's possible to see acquisition news this month. Last year they announced the Bungie acquisition in late January, around a week before their Q3 fiscal report.

In the last quarter report SIE had a cost named 'acquisition related complementary costs' or something like that for the acquisitions of the first half of the fiscal year (Bungie, Haven, etc) but in that report they scheduled to spend there more than the double, and specified that it was an estimate and the specific cost for the FY would depend on acquisition closure dates.

I assume that meant that they expected to close acquisitions during the 2nd half of the fiscal year for more money than what Bungie, Haven etc did cost them.

Agree, Tencent are the biggest worry for Sony in Japan than Microsoft.

Well, Tencent avoids to directly compete againt Sony, and Tencent is a very important partner via their subsidiaries: many of the companies that Tencent acquired or invested are important partners for Sony. Epic Games, Sumo Digital, Don't Nod, Bloober, Turtle Rock, Marvelous, From Soft, Ubisoft, Paradox, Kadokawa, Remedy, Capcom... if someone who isn't Sony invests on them or buys them, Sony prefers to be Tencent than MS. Because this means the companies will continue releasing their games on PS and are less likely to go exclusive with rival consoles.

Tencent instead of making their own consoles and wanting to keep their games out of PlayStation, they invest on companies who are full multiplatform in the console are, or that are mobile only. And Tencent is the main gatekeeper to enter the Chinese mobile market because they are the main platform holder there, same as Apple and Google are in the west.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well, Tencent avoids to directly compete againt Sony, and Tencent is a very important partner via their subsidiaries: many of the companies that Tencent acquired or invested are important partners for Sony. Epic Games, Sumo Digital, Don't Nod, Bloober, Turtle Rock, Marvelous, From Soft, Ubisoft, Paradox, Kadokawa, Remedy, Capcom... if someone who isn't Sony invests on them or buys them, Sony prefers to be Tencent than MS. Because this means the companies will continue releasing their games on PS and are less likely to go exclusive with rival consoles.
If MS was to drop the Xbox would it be possible that Tencent try their hand at a console?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If MS was to drop the Xbox would it be possible that Tencent try their hand at a console?
Ive thought about this myself and i think tencent would be much worse competition than Microsoft would be.
THIS. The chinese companies are already making moves in Japan and theres still saudi arabia looking for a whole publisher to acquire. I get sony wanting to kill this activsion deal and keeping a low profile is apart of that, but missing out on say squar enix or capcom acquistions i think would do more damage long term to the brand than losing COD 10 years from now.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Ive thought about this myself and i think tencent would be much worse competition than Microsoft would be.

THIS. The chinese companies are already making moves in Japan and theres still saudi arabia looking for a whole publisher to acquire. I get sony wanting to kill this activsion deal and keeping a low profile is apart of that, but missing out on say squar enix or capcom acquistions i think would do more damage long term to the brand than losing COD 10 years from now.
Sony has done their duty: They managed to achieve, that FTC (biggest key to the ABK deal) is suing Microsoft to block the deal. EU commission and CMA will join FTC and sue Microsoft to block the deal. Microsoft is now stuck in court for a couple of years. Now can Sony announce deals they set on hold. Even if Sony will announce Square Enix, the FTC or in general Europe, can’t do nothing about it. Do you now understand maybe, why Square Enix sold their European and North American studios? Right do wether Europe or NA can interfere. They could do nothing about it when Sony announces Square Enix acquisition in 2023.

Reactions: Muddasar

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony has done their duty: They managed to achieve, that FTC (biggest key to the ABK deal) is suing Microsoft to block the deal. EU commission and CMA will join FTC and sue Microsoft to block the deal. Microsoft is now stuck in court for a couple of years. Now can Sony announce deals they set on hold. Even if Sony will announce Square Enix, the FTC or in general Europe, can’t do nothing about it. Do you now understand maybe, why Square Enix sold their European and North American studios? Right do wether Europe or NA can interfere. They could do nothing about it when Sony announces Square Enix acquisition in 2023.
The ftc and cma can certainly have something to say if Sony bought se. But that’s why I don’t think Sony would buy them outright, just an investment like from software. Assuming they do anything with them at all.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The ftc and cma can certainly have something to say if Sony bought se. But that’s why I don’t think Sony would buy them outright, just an investment like from software. Assuming they do anything with them at all.
They can’t brother. For acquisitions the JFTC is responsible. ABK gets reviewed by so many antitrust authorities because they have worldwide studios distributed. Square Enix is only in Japan now after they sold their western arm.

Reactions: Muddasar

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They can’t brother. For acquisitions the JFTC is responsible. ABK gets reviewed by so many antitrust authorities because they have worldwide studios distributed. Square Enix is only in Japan now after they sold their western arm.
Dont they have offices in china and north america? And wouldnt the ftc and other have to investigate how it would impact sonys position in the market?