Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Nah not CDPR. They are currently valued at $2B. I heavily doubt Sony would pay 200% price up for them. They are not worth this sum.
they were worth more than Ubisoft. wait til they release next set of games.
unless they bought Kodakawa also then. because there is no one else in this time of money range. nor sega, nor capcom or SE.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
unless they bought Kodakawa also then. because there is no one else in this time of money range. nor sega, nor capcom or SE.
Square Enix could make sense. They are below $5B. So if they have an acquisition on hold for $6B, this would be a 17.7% per share if they buy Square Enix.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Id assume the bulk would go to playstation and Music divisions.
This sum could be also be Square Enix. Keep in mind that Sony Music is also working very close with Square. This would be am acquisition of which nit only Playstation division would profit on. This will benefit all other Sony divisions too.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
In their market cap in the stock value yes CDP was more valued because they were super overvalued.

In their real value not at all, Ubisoft owns a ton of top IPs, a way bigger back catalog, a way bigger amount of teams and workers and covers way more genres and platforms. Ubisoft releases a bigger amount of big releases every year and has way bigger revenues on a steady growing trend, something that isn't the case of CDP.

You don't need to wait many years, you can already know they are too overvalued looking at the facts.

image.png

As reference, this very rare peak of the Cyberpunk release year, if we count 2139M PLN instead of around 1700M PLN, 2139M is 455.2M euros. It's like 4 or 5 times less than the revenue that Ubisoft makes every single year (instead of once every 5 or 6 years).

85679_1_cd-projekt-delivers-second-best-sales-revenues-of-all-time-in-2021_full.png

cdpr_financial_2020.jpg

CD Projekt Red always has been too overvalued in the stock market. Their market cap should continue falling. Their market cap is now 12.8B PLN (2.72B euros). As comparision Ubisoft now has a market cap of 3.49B euros. It doesn't make sense to value CD Projekt that close to Ubisoft, CDP should be valued way lower.

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You guys spotted the 6 billion, great.

So, is CDPR the front-runner so far?

Any other ideas?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
This sum could be also be Square Enix. Keep in mind that Sony Music is also working very close with Square. This would be am acquisition of which nit only Playstation division would profit on. This will benefit all other Sony divisions too.
Thats a great point. Thats also where please be excited guy works at now right?

Any other ideas?
CDPR and square would be my leading two companies if sony is smart. Squares language is more looking for investors though.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Any other ideas?
I highly doubt anyone would buy CDP for more than $1B, being optimistic $1.5B and counting the premium. And I highly doubt Sony, the ones who kicked out their game out of PSN would be interested on buying them.

I asked William Aguilar. He did confirm there is 6$ Billion Dollar left. But unknown purpose.
Who is him and what is his source?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Having 6 billion for all of Sony left for acquisition budget doesn't mean 1 big purchase is in the works. They spent a huge chunk of their initial budget on stock buybacks for instance, not companies. They could do more of those and then voila some of that budget is gone.

And that budget was planned through 2023.

Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I highly doubt anyone would buy CDP for more than $1B, being optimistic $1.5B and counting the premium. And I highly doubt Sony, the ones who kicked out their game out of PSN would be interested on buying them.
devalue, buy. profit 😂 sony plays 5D chess 😂

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
CDPRs market cap is ~2.7 billion USD.
See my post above with the CDP and Ubi graphs to see some reasons of why they are still highly overvalued and overpriced. Their market cap should drop at least a 50% to match companies of their size and performance.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
See my post above with the CDP and Ubi graphs to see some reasons of why they are still highly overvalued and overpriced.
Oh so you did some armchair analysis... ok. Then made a post acting like it was some foregone conclusion?

That doesn't change that to buy CDPR right now someone would pay over $3 billion...

The idea their market cap will plummet by half is just sort of... out there, man. Talking as though it already happened is just.. fucking confusing lol

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Oh so you did some armchair analysis... ok. Then made a post acting like it was some foregone conclusion?

That doesn't change that to buy CDPR right now someone would pay over $3 billion...

The idea their market cap will plummet by half is just sort of... out there, man. Talking as though it already happened is just.. fucking confusing lol
wait til they release Witcher 3 PS5 update and Cyberpunk DLC.
it is the best time to buy them while they are at the lowest.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Who is him and what is his source?
This guy. He is working in finance sector, he makes a living by it.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Having 6 billion for all of Sony left for acquisition budget doesn't mean 1 big purchase is in the works. They spent a huge chunk of their initial budget on stock buybacks for instance, not companies. They could do more of those and then voila some of that budget is gone.

And that budget was planned through 2023.
Lol who says they will not have money left?
Do you understand what “earmarked” means?
It means an acquisition must be on hold. In the financial report it’s dated for Q3.
Q3 starts by Oct - Dec 2022.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
There's still ~1.5 years left in Sony's mid-range plans, that included that money earmarked for acquisitions.

And as I mentioned above, that included billions in stock buy-backs, which fall under the same accounting apparently.

Speculating on that whole amount going to 1 purchase is fine I guess, but at least realize that isn't likely. March 2024 is when that budget is meant to be spent by.

Lol who says they will not have money left?
Do you understand what “earmarked” means?
It means an acquisition must be on hold. In the financial report it’s dated for Q3.
Q3 starts by Oct - Dec 2022.

I'm simply saying people are talking about Square for instance.. who barely fit under that $6 billion market cap wise.. so it's incredibly unlikely all of that money is going to Square, or 1 company in general.

Where you are getting that something must be "on hold" is beyond me though...as I said above, that's the money left over from their FY2021-FY2023 mid-range plan they made...

edit: Oh wait, you are the "Sony is buying this list of companies I swear I have a source guy." So just more made up fairy tales, Icon-era style.

edit2: Haha that's right you said that purchase was coming November... so now your story HAS to be it is "on hold".

Fake insider BS should be banned here TBH.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Relax guys, no need to mock others.

Also speculation is okay but people on twitter know very little and generally just parrot info they find.

No need to have a bust-up over it.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There's still ~1.5 years left in Sony's mid-range plans, that included that money earmarked for acquisitions.

And as I mentioned above, that included billions in stock buy-backs, which fall under the same accounting apparently.

Speculating on that whole amount going to 1 purchase is fine I guess, but at least realize that isn't likely. March 2024 is when that budget is meant to be spent by.

I'm simply saying people are talking about Square for instance.. who barely fit under that $6 billion market cap wise.. so it's incredibly unlikely all of that money is going to Square, or 1 company in general.

Where you are getting that something must be "on hold" is beyond me though...as I said above, that's the money left over from their FY2021-FY2023 mid-range plan they made...

edit: Oh wait, you are the "Sony is buying this list of companies I swear I have a source guy." So just more made up fairy tales, Icon-era style.

edit2: Haha that's right you said that purchase was coming November... so now your story HAS to be it is "on hold".

Fake insider BS should be banned here TBH.
First what’s wrong with your tone?
I never claimed to be an insider. It’s all my speculation and November is not over yet. Squaresoft and Enix merger was announced on 27th November 2002.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss about potential acquisitions. If you can’t handle it then then feel free to leave this discussion. No need to become rude.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This guy. He is working in finance sector, he makes a living by it.

In his Twitter bio says 'Gaming Analysis | Infographics | Creator of Galactic Factions & ReFoundationalism'. Nothing that leads to think he may have special knowledge or insider info, seems another random Twitter user making a recap of stuff that Sony publicly said in this or other reports, plus making a few guesses (speculation that makes sense, doesn't say dumb stuff) on top.

I just checked the whole Twitter thread (good one) but I didn't spot anything about the $6B, so even less a source.

But I agree with him that seeing that SE sold some studios and in the recent report that may share ownership/sell part of some of their studios to 3rd parties, Sony could invest in the ones where they may be interested in instead of buying the whole studio. Similar to what they did with Devolver, Epic, Devolver and many more.

The idea with these investments would be to collect dividents/get part of the profit generated by these companies/studios, strengten their relationship with them, block/difficult being acquired by MS and maybe secure some collaboration like some minor exclusive or tv/movie adaptation. But not needing to pay the full price for the whole company, have to handle with non-gaming business these companies like SE owns (like manga, pachinko etc), avoiding regulators possibly blocking stuff, while also getting money from games sold in rival consoles without using their PS Studios (or even Sony) brands. That also would be cheaper than the acquisition of the whole SE, meaning that with the same money they could invest in more companies.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Doubtful. The former especially is just wishful thinking on Xbox fanboys part.

I hope they wont but they will eventually go for something on the scale of a Sega or maybe smaller publisher like Tecmo. Nothing that is under Japanese protection like a Nintendo