Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

D

Deleted member 417

Thats like 80% of the PC market/store front?
Regulators would tell them to go eat shit😂

But i agree go big or sit the fuck down. I will add T2 to the hat of possibilities.
Cdpr will do if they can't get valve. If Sony want to go PC they should show some balls and do it properly. Shit, or get off the pot

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Said this as soon as MS got Zenimax.

Sony needs to stop screwing around with acquisitions. These smaller studios that work on GaaS are all fine in an industry from 10 years ago. We're now at a time where Sony is rapidly losing access to IPs they've had access to for years. They need to start securing those. Hell, they have several smaller studios with IPs that would fit them well, as well as secure some great IPs. IO Interactive has Hitman, An excellent franchise that works as a service game Sony loves so much these days.

But besides that, they really need to look at larger publishers. Focusing on these indie studios with no IPs to their name is going to get them left behind.

I see a lot of people are mentioning CDPR. Red in CDPR is the dev studio and is a part of a much larger company, CD Projekt. So they'd either have to be willing to sell RED off or Sony would have to buy the entire company.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think todays news will turn the tables. Sony wasted a lot of time and resources on fighting Activision Blizzard deal. I think Jim Ryan was fighting for his job, I can see him forced to resign as CEO. I could imagine that Keiichiro Urata will be appointed as CEO. He is already pretty high in position: Director of SIE company. But Sony will definitely make some big moves(no not Take2 or EA) but very likely in Japan.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
I think todays news will turn the tables. Sony wasted a lot of time and resources on fighting Activision Blizzard deal. I think Jim Ryan was fighting for his job, I can see him forced to resign as CEO. I could imagine that Keiichiro Urata will be appointed as CEO. He is already pretty high in position: Director of SIE company. But Sony will definitely make some big moves(no not Take2 or EA) but very likely in Japan.
Only reason Sony would buy Japanese publisher is because someone else wants to buy them. They get nothing from them. Sony positioned has been weakened. They have to go on a buying spree of WRPG and FPS studios. Now rather than later.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Only reason Sony would buy Japanese publisher is because someone else wants to buy them. They get nothing from them. Sony positioned has been weakened. They have to go on a buying spree of WRPG and FPS studios. Now rather than later.
Actually they are plenty reasons of doing so. But I am too tired to repeat myself. Further down in the thread we have hashed and rehashed it. ;)

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
I think Take-Two would be a bad purchase for Sony as a whole. Plus their earnings are not that great and it takes them too long to release anything other than their sports titles. I thought of Namco Bandai but I read some comments a while back from the CEO and seems like they are in no way interested in selling.

If Sony wants a publisher they should go after Capcom or SE. Or maybe CDPR or Kadokawa imo.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
I think Take-Two would be a bad purchase for Sony as a whole. Plus their earnings are not that great and it takes them too long to release anything other than their sports titles. I thought of Namco Bandai but I read some comments a while back from the CEO and seems like they are in no way interested in selling.

If Sony wants a publisher they should go after Capcom or SE. Or maybe CDPR or Kadokawa imo.
GTA alone is enough to justify a purchase

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

GTA is an evergreen title that can support you for 10 years beyond doing a billion or more on day one.

Plus RDR is also bigger than anything Sony owns right now

I could also see Sony really leaning into sports games multiplat strategy. Get the NBA, PGA and WWE games up to MLB quality, get them less reliant on predatory MTX practices. Maybe build teams for making NFL and FIFA games (open for licensing now). Include GT in the sports mix.

They can bring back Bioshock, Bully, Borderlands, Max Payne. Ken Levine is still there with Ghost Story games.

Honestly it's a really good fit even if alot of it stays multiplat, it's the kind of rounding out that would keep Sony afloat in gaming no matter what MS does next. Even if MS bought EA, Sony could counter if they had Take2

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
GTA is an evergreen title that can support you for 10 years beyond doing a billion or more on day one.

Plus RDR is also bigger than anything Sony owns right now

I could also see Sony really leaning into sports games multiplat strategy. Get the NBA, PGA and WWE games up to MLB quality, get them less reliant on predatory MTX practices. Maybe build teams for making NFL and FIFA games (open for licensing now). Include GT in the sports mix.

They can bring back Bioshock, Bully, Borderlands, Max Payne. Ken Levine is still there with Ghost Story games.

Honestly it's a really good fit even if alot of it stays multiplat, it's the kind of rounding out that would keep Sony afloat in gaming no matter what MS does next. Even if MS bought EA, Sony could counter if they had Take2

I think TakeTwo would definitely fit and if anyone didn't know Strauss Zelnick used to work for Sony music before he went into games.
He's one of the sharpest guys in gaming IMO.

The sports games would broaden PlayStations annual sports output from just being MLB up to at least 3 or more. As you say.... this is basically regaining the ground lost by MSFT getting COD annually. (forgot about GT too)

Then GTA and RDR are high end premium, must have titles that can be made into timed exclusives or full exclusives in times of need.

and I agree with you @Yobo that Bungie was a great buy, they are unique.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
We don't know if any of the remaining publishers have a 'For Sale' board outside their office. First and foremost, a desire to get sold must be there...like Zenimax and AB.

Reactions: Bryank75

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
EA would be an excellent purchase for Sony. It covers everything they lost in the last 2 major acquisitions and adds extra.

I know they get a crap reputation but we're talking about IPs here. And they have plenty. Mass Effect and Dragon Age cover that WRPG hole and Battlefield somewhat fills up that FPS hole. Not as popular as COD but better than nothing.

If there's one thing that Sony's REALLY good at, it's managing studios. They can do a lot with IPs mentioned above.

Don't think EA will happen but they'd fit well into what Sony needs.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Square Enix is the most realistic get for me.

Take 2 is unrealistic though we would all like it.

GTA alone can sell systems.

Other than that I would like Sony to purchase or create several FPS and WRPG studios.

2/3 studios developing FPS titles and a couple of WRPG studios will be enough to counter the loss of Bethesda and eventually COD.

Sony will regret disbanding Zipper Interactive and selling Sony Online Entertainment. They would have been useful now.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I said this in the Microsoft acquisition thread but wanted to say this here too:

Tin foil hat: It’s obvious Microsoft made an offer that can’t be refused one way or another to the cma. So with that as the context do You guys think that senator commenting on Japan was a preemptive from Microsoft to try and prevent a Sony response acquisition in Japan?

Or is this the preemptive seeds of the narrative a year or 2 down the road when Microsoft goes after a Japanese company they already have it on record that Sony is 98 percent of the high end market?

It seems extremely random she would say this (of course Ms told her what to say) but the timing of it.

Is Microsoft signaling they’ll influence American Japanese trade deals to use the Japanese government to reign Sony in so to speak so they can’t make any retaliatory acquisitions in japan?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I said this in the Microsoft acquisition thread but wanted to say this here too:

Tin foil hat: It’s obvious Microsoft made an offer that can’t be refused one way or another to the cma. So with that as the context do You guys think that senator commenting on Japan was a preemptive from Microsoft to try and prevent a Sony response acquisition in Japan?

Or is this the preemptive seeds of the narrative a year or 2 down the road when Microsoft goes after a Japanese company they already have it on record that Sony is 98 percent of the high end market?

It seems extremely random she would say this (of course Ms told her what to say) but the timing of it.

Is Microsoft signaling they’ll influence American Japanese trade deals to use the Japanese government to reign Sony in so to speak so they can’t make any retaliatory acquisitions in japan?
MS has no sway over in Japan. If they did, they wouldn't be selling like crap there. They have no way to influence Sony buying anything over there.