Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Y3a CDPR makes sense. They have pc store, where they can put up their games and attract players before steam. And witcher 4 as console exclusive d be huge. Or next cyberpunk. Much better to spend cc 5B on them than square imo. U can always make deals with specific games like FF. They also miss westerm rpg stuff. Cdpr, larian d be great gets.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's BS I think. First if all because I doubt CDPR would even want to sell to Sony.
Didn't they boot their ceo or someone up high? Like Square is doing. Things can change, especially when you side with loser xbox while big part of market is on Playstation.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
It's BS I think. First if all because I doubt CDPR would even want to sell to Sony.
Or Sony is not interested in buying the studio.

I would understand if they did a 3 game contract to help the studio. That is more realistic for me.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Why not? Sony d give them freedom and financial backing. They d get sony 1P on gog .Witcher sold like 90% between PS and pc. Xbox market share is like 30% ww. In europe xbox s so tiny.
Would Sony really give them creative freedom though? Both Witcher and Cyberpunk can get raunchier than other Sony games have recently.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Would Sony really give them creative freedom though? Both Witcher and Cyberpunk can get raunchier than other Sony games have recently.
The order 1886 had full frontal nudity.

Anyway I think what you are trying to say is the backlash the studio had received and still is receiving for their choices.
Yeah things don’t seem to be going well there.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The order 1886 had full frontal nudity.

Anyway I think what you are trying to say is the backlash the studio had received and still is receiving for their choices.
Yeah things don’t seem to be going well there.
Never knew that about 1886, not that it matters as I am talking about the way stuff is presented. Especially in the first Witcher, with the salacious nature being the problem as opposed to the actual "player sees a woman's buttocks" line item description.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Never knew that about 1886, not that it matters as I am talking about the way stuff is presented. Especially in the first Witcher, with the salacious nature being the problem as opposed to the actual "player sees a woman's buttocks" line item description.
I’ve never played the Witcher! All I know is that recently, pervy mods were used on the updated version by “accident”

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
CDPR is about 2.77 billion euro value now, with a mark-up it would be about the same as Bungie and would fill a niche Sony need along with IP's that have been very successful in cross media....although the rights are not belong to them in those cases.

Reactions: VillaiN

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
They have some changes they need to make, but they're far from Ubisoft levels of undesirable/damaged. The ideal is for these third party publishers to stay independent though.
I hate to break it to you but independent publishers are not going to be a thing anymore due to the direction the industry is going. I hope sony realizes this and starts getting pubs too.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I hate to break it to you but independent publishers are not going to be a thing anymore due to the direction the industry is going. I hope sony realizes this and starts getting pubs too.
I hate to break it to you but thats bullshit, more outside forces than ever are trying to break into game publishing and smaller studios are evolving into publishers (plus online distro means that its easier than ever to self-publish.)

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
CDPR is about 2.77 billion euro value now, with a mark-up it would be about the same as Bungie and would fill a niche Sony need along with IP's that have been very successful in cross media....although the rights are not belong to them in those cases.
Is cyberpunk their own ip? I know witcher was bought in some form for games. I think those medium sized buys should be their priority. Cdpr, kadokawa, maybe capcom or square. Heck even ubisoft then cut all that fat. Keep ips and some studios. I doubt they d risk and spend 20B on one publisher. Heck they could get everything i mentioned for 20. When u have that many strong ips, studios, along with bungie, nd, ssm, insomniac...u dont have to worry about one or two big ips u lost.

Im certain some of the new shooter ll be big (devotion, haven, factions...)

• brain