Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Even if it fails, nothing will change.

26b? You could buy Square, Capcom, Fromsoftware, CDPR for that.
Not Sony alone. It's a 50/50 split between Sony and Apollo. But yeah even then 13B is still much cash. With that zhry could easily buy Square Enix and Sega.

Reactions: Puff

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Arrowhead is still viable, they don't own the Helldivers IP, they're a talented team.

If sony can figure out how to make it so people in non PSN supported countries can play.

I think the people who are in US, shouldn't cry about having to make a PS account, that is an absolutely insane double standard.

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
I hope Sony realizes that the Playstation vs Xbox console war is over but there's still Nintendo and the platform war has just begun. Switch 2 will get much bigger third party support and Microsoft with Epic will try to get the EU to destroy Playstation 's walled garden so that they can put the Xbox and Epic store on the console. Sony needs to start spending NOW and secure publishers like Square, Sega and Capcom before someone else beats them to it.

Reactions: Umar and Puff

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I think switch wants to stick with its own niche & have something of its own uniqueness, in terms of high end consoles i can only see Xbox & PlayStation. but it's the portable market which will expand further in the future, but that doesn't mean SIE should stop acquisitions.

As the comment before me says an acquisition will help the PlayStation brand as a whole, improve it as a brand. All Square Enix games don't need to be PS exclusive persay, they can still go to PC, the lower powered games and smaller budget ones can still go to the Nintendo console.

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
i guess we can remove arrowhead from the list
Don't bite the hands that feed you.

al9Hm9V.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas and Puff
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
So everybody who was eyeing Swga as potential M&A target can scratch them off the list. Nobody will acquire Sega. This intention I do interpret, that Sega wants to remain independent. Also see how Sega us not saying Xbox but Microsoft Gaming.

@Bryank75 Thoughts?

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
So everybody who was eyeing Swga as potential M&A target can scratch them off the list. Nobody will acquire Sega. This intention I do interpret, that Sega wants to remain independent. Also see how Sega us not saying Xbox but Microsoft Gaming.

@Bryank75 Thoughts?

With an uncertain economy and soft hardware sales etc, I think most developers and publishers should stay independent and make themselves lean.

If they could make games cheaper, that would help success and survive-ability.

The strength of gaming during recessions of the past was how affordable it was...from hardware to software.

This is one move I strongly agree with Sega.

• brain
Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
No more third-party exclusives.

The Report doesn't state that. Thry are probably referring to smaller gsnes, remaster and remakes. Dragon Quest for example could be Multi-platform, instead of Nintendo exclusivity. FF ( Main) I see PS exclusive. Plus KH has good chances for being PS exclusive too. But we will see.

Luffy123

Veteran
16 Jul 2023

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
If that's true it definitely lowers the chances sony acquires them.

Since the revenue will be more split, and they'll have less exclusives meaning of they'd acquire them and have bit more exclusives it would show on the financial report.

That being said:

Even if they acquire them and they keep multiplatform I wouldn't mind though.

Square Enix would be a brand recognized first party content for PS even if it's on Xbox.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
But it 100% does lower the chances of acquisition unfortunately.

Publicly shareheld Companies that announce these decisions have to keep up this promise.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
But it 100% does lower the chances of acquisition unfortunately.

Publicly shareheld Companies that announce these decisions have to keep up this promise.
Not really. It depends on what Sony has mind. If they acquire them and it’s probably the Bungie model. Square Enix would be fully independent even though as 100% subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation. My take is they will buy them either before the PS6 generational shift or they won’t never do so.

Reactions: TigerFang

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Not really. It depends on what Sony has mind. If they acquire them and it’s probably the Bungie model. Square Enix would be fully independent even though as 100% subsidiary of Sony Group Corporation. My take is they will buy them either before the PS6 generational shift or they won’t never do so.
That can definitely happen.

But I don't know unfortunately. Because when a company relies heavily on one platform I think it can even be encouraged from both companies that the smaller one gets acquired.

But Square being independent would actually be good as well since the management and stuff is already in good contact with SIE and they aren't greedy.

But this does seem like they want to grow users and rely on multiple platforms since being on one platform at launch has its risk.

So you're right, that could definitely work as well, obviously none of us really know what's going on behind the scenes.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Square Enix also earmarked a maximum of 600 million USD for strategic investments (mid term meaning 3 years).

Last edited: